Sig226GuyNJ

Machine Shop where I can pay to finish my 80% lower

Good question. I have also read the part regarding no manufacturing firearms in NJ without some permit. No time to lookup the las now, but I'm sure some like Paul will have the ref.

So is there any place to do this, yourself, in PA?

You need more than a machine shop. You need a machine shop that is a Type 7 FFL. The issue of if you, as an individual, can finish an 80% lower is a different issue. It has nothing to do with paying a business to do the work. That falls under manufacturing which of course is federally regulated. But the fact of the matter is, if they are a type 7 ffl and geared up to machine ar lowers, I guaruntee you they are quite busy right now. And if they arent geared up for it, you will likely rethink your strategy when you find out hw much they will charge for your project. I am sure you could obtain a completed lower on GB and still come in under the machining bill.

Do it urself and keep mouth shut

I know if you do it yourself its 100% legal. Not sure that a machine shop would have to have a permit either, if I were to do it myself. But then again, this is NJ. You can also buy a jig that you can apparently use to finish at home, but I'm having a tough time finding instructions on how to do it. From what I'm reading, you would need a drill press, which I don't have.

2C:58-1. Registration of manufacturers and wholesale dealers of firearms

a. Registration. Every manufacturer and wholesale dealer of firearms shall register with the superintendent as provided in this section. No person shall engage in the business of, or act as a manufacturer or wholesale dealer of firearms, or

manufacture or sell at wholesale any firearm, until he has so registered.

I know if you do it yourself its 100% legal. Not sure that a machine shop would have to have a permit either, if I were to do it myself. But then again, this is NJ. You can also buy a jig that you can apparently use to finish at home, but I'm having a tough time finding instructions on how to do it. From what I'm reading, you would need a drill press, which I don't have.

that is a big 100% negative in NJ...

you cannot make your own.

please refer to title 13; chapter 54, SUBCHAPTER 4. WHOLESALE DEALERS, MANUFACTURERS AND WHOLESALE

DEALERS' AGENTS AND EMPLOYEES

N.J.A.C. 13:54-4.2 Registration required

"No person shall manufacture or sell at wholesale any firearm or part of a firearm unless

he or she has been registered by the Superintendent under the provisions of this chapter. This

section shall not apply to a person who exclusively processes, or deals exclusively in, grips,

stocks and other nonmetal parts of firearms."

you cannot legally make your own receiver in NJ....

New Jersey Statute 2C:39

2C:39-1. Definitions. The following definitions apply to this chapter and to chapter 58:

…………………………………………………………………

j. "Manufacturer" means any person who receives or obtains raw materials or parts and processes them into firearms or finished parts of firearms, except a person who exclusively processes grips, stocks and other nonmetal parts of firearms. The term does not include a person who repairs existing firearms or receives new and used raw materials or parts solely for the repair of existing firearms.

2C:39-9. Manufacture, Transport, Disposition and Defacement of Weapons and Dangerous Instruments and Appliances. a. Machine guns. Any person who manufactures, causes to be manufactured, transports, ships, sells or disposes of any machine gun without being registered or licensed to do so as provided in chapter 58 is guilty of a crime of the third degree.

b.Sawed-off shotguns. Any person who manufactures, causes to be manufactured, transports, ships, sells or disposes of any sawed-off shotgun is guilty of a crime of the third degree.

c.Firearm silencers. Any person who manufactures, causes to be manufactured, transports, ships, sells or disposes of any firearm silencer is guilty of a crime of the fourth degree.

d.Weapons. Any person who manufactures, causes to be manufactured, transports, ships, sells or disposes of any weapon, including gravity knives, switchblade knives, ballistic knives, daggers, dirks, stilettos, billies, blackjacks, metal knuckles, sandclubs, slingshots, cesti or similar leather bands studded with metal filings, or in the case of firearms if he is not licensed or registered to do so as provided in chapter 58, is guilty of a crime of the fourth degree. Any person who manufactures, causes to be manufactured, transports, ships, sells or disposes of any weapon or other device which projects, releases or emits tear gas or other substances intended to produce temporary physical discomfort or permanent injury through being vaporized or otherwise dispensed in the air, which is intended to be used for any purpose other than for authorized military or law enforcement purposes by duly authorized military or law enforcement personnel or the device is for the purpose of personal self-defense, is pocket-sized and contains not more than three-quarters of an ounce of chemical substance not ordinarily capable of lethal use or of inflicting serious bodily injury, or other than to be used by any person permitted to possess such weapon or device under the provisions of subsection d. of N.J.S.2C:39-5, which is intended for use by financial and other business institutions as part of an integrated security system, placed at fixed locations, for the protection of money and property, by the duly authorized personnel of those institutions, is guilty of a crime of the fourth degree.

e.Defaced firearms. Any person who defaces any firearm is guilty of a crime of the third degree. Any person who knowingly buys, receives, disposes of or conceals a defaced firearm, except an antique firearm or an antique handgun, is guilty of a crime of the fourth degree.

f. (1) Any person who manufactures, causes to be manufactured, transports, ships, sells, or disposes of any bullet, which is primarily designed for use in a handgun, and which is comprised of a bullet whose core or jacket, if the jacket is thicker than .025 of an inch, is made of tungsten carbide, or hard bronze, or other material which is harder than a rating of 72 or greater on the Rockwell B. Hardness Scale, and is therefore capable of breaching or penetrating body armor and which is intended to be used for any purpose other than for authorized military or law enforcement purposes by duly authorized military or law enforcement personnel, is guilty of a crime of the fourth degree.

(2) Nothing in this subsection shall be construed to prevent a licensed collector of ammunition as defined in paragraph (2) of subsection f. of N.J.S.2C:39-3 from transporting the bullets defined in paragraph (1) of this subsection from (a) any licensed retail or wholesale firearms dealer's place of business to the collector's dwelling, premises, or other land owned or possessed by him, or (b) to or from the collector's dwelling, premises or other land owned or possessed by him to any gun show for the purposes of display, sale, trade, or transfer between collectors, or © to or from the collector's dwelling, premises or other land owned or possessed by him to any rifle or pistol club organized in accordance with the rules prescribed by the National Board for the Promotion of Rifle Practice; provided that the club has filed a copy of its charter with the superintendent of the State Police and annually submits a list of its members to the superintendent, and provided further that the ammunition being transported shall be carried not loaded in any firearm and contained in a closed and fastened case, gun box, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported, and the course of travel shall include only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances.

g.Assault firearms. Any person who manufactures, causes to be manufactured, transports, ships, sells or disposes of an assault firearm without being registered or licensed to do so pursuant to N.J.S.2C:58-1 et seq. is guilty of a crime of the third degree.

h.Large capacity ammunition magazines. Any person who manufactures, causes to be manufactured, transports, ships, sells or disposes of a large capacity ammunition magazine which is intended to be used for any purpose other than for authorized military or law enforcement purposes by duly authorized military or law enforcement personnel is guilty of a crime of the fourth degree.

Amended 1979, c.179, s.7; 1980, c.108; 1981, c.480, s.2; 1983, c.58, s.2; 1987, c.228, s.3; 1990, c.32, s.3; 1999, c.233, s.3.

IT IS NOT LEGAL TO FINISH AN 80% LOWER IN NJ!!!

2C:39-1 Definitions

'Manufacturer means any person who recieves or obtains raw materials or parts and processes them into firearms or finished parts of firearms, except a person who exclusively processes grips, stocks, and other non metal parts of firearms. The term does not include a person who repairs existing firearms or receives new and used raw materials or parts solely for the repair of exisiting firearms.

2c: 58-1 Statutes

Every manufacturer and whole sale dealer of firearms shall register with the superintendent as provided in this section. No person shall engage in the business of ot act as a manufacturer or wholesale dealer of firearms or manufacture or sell at wholesale any firearm, until he has so registered.

Applications for registraition shall be made on such forms as shall be prescribed by the superintendent, and the applicant shall furnish such information and other particulars as may be prescribed by law or by any rules or regulations promulgated by the superintendent. EAch application for registration or renewal shall be accompanied by a fee of $150.00.

The superintendent shall prescribe standards and qualifications for the registration of manufacturers and wholesalers of firearms for the protection of public safety, health and welfare. He shall refuse to register any applicant for registration unless he is satisfied that the applicant can be permitted to engage in business as a manufacturer or wholesale dealer of firearms without any danger to the public safety, health or welfare.

The superintendent shall issue a certificate of registration to every person registered under this section, and such certficate shall be valid for a period of 3 years from the date of issuance.

Sources:

http://lis.njleg.state.nj.us/cgi-bin/om_isapi.dll?clientID=22084864&Depth=4&TD=WRAP&advquery=2C%3a39-1%20%20Definitions&headingswithhits=on&infobase=statutes.nfo&rank=&record={1A38}&softpage=Doc_Frame_Pg42&wordsaroundhits=2&x=34&y=12&zz=

http://lis.njleg.state.nj.us/cgi-bin/om_isapi.dll?clientID=22084857&Depth=4&TD=WRAP&advquery=2C%3a58-1.%20%20Registration%20of%20manufacturers%20and%20wholesale%20dealers%20of%20firearms&headingswithhits=on&infobase=statutes.nfo&rank=&record={1BA9}&softpage=Doc_Frame_Pg42&wordsaroundhits=2&x=34&y=10&zz=

If you manufacture without a license, then you're taking your freedom into your own hands. If you get caught, tough shit. And anyone that recommends that you KNOWINGLY break the law, is not your friend.

This state just keeps getting shittier and shittier. Thanks for keeping me out of jail guys.... fugg NJ... If I were to take the 80% lower out of state and do it myself, it would still be considered in the PRNJ correct?

NJ laws only apply in NJ. If you press the button in PA, its yours. Just don't sell it unless you register it with the ATF first.

Do you guys know if its even legal for me to purchase a 80%?

You mean your non functioning ar receiver replica paper weight? Why wouldn't a paperweight be legal?

More technically, the BATFE couldn't care less about your hunk of metal, and I ahve seen nothing in the NJ statute definitions that would say your hunk of metal is anything other than a hunk of metal.

I'm intrigued by this thread; I have asked similar questions to myself. One can buy 80% receivers for a 10/22 and a jig to finish it. But I looked it up and agree that it's forbidden in NJ. Now If I have the receiver and jig sent to a PA friend, then go and do the work in his garage and bring it home; am I breaking a law.

I cod have proof it was shipped to PA then tape me doing to work in PA. It's an interesting thought although I think is rather just buy the receiver.