Sign in to follow this  
Grapeshot

Source for loose shot

So I am getting ready for Spring Turkey season in PA and would like to use my 62 cal smoothbore as a shotgun. I’ve got cards and wads that I bought a few years ago, but all I have is some real small bird shot; and not much of that. Looking for 5, 6, or 7 shot, but all I can find is 25lb bags at Cabella’s. Nobody shooting black powder needs 25 lbs. of shot – more like 3 – 5. Anyone have a source?

Oh, and as this will be my first time going for turkey, is this the right size to consider?

Thanks!

Call Gregg or Chuck Dixon at Dixon Muzzleloading Shop in Kempton, PA. They have 5# bags of #6 (and others) for sale, and they do mail-order if you don't want to drive there. They have a brief web site with NO catalog or cc buying pgs, so just call to order what you want. They'll ship anything except caps & powders. Since you say you're from Hunterdon Co. I'd just get on Rt. 78 and make the trip! Take Exit #40 for Rt. 737, turn right at the end of the ramp, at stop sign go straight past a few farms and then down a hill. Base of hill turn right at Muzzleloading sign for Gun Makers' Fair. It's worth the trip and you'll pick-up some tips for your hunting too!

Dave

I use my 10 ga. muzzleloader for pheasants

So I am getting ready for Spring Turkey season in PA and would like to use my 62 cal smoothbore as a shotgun. I’ve got cards and wads that I bought a few years ago, but all I have is some real small bird shot; and not much of that. Looking for 5, 6, or 7 shot, but all I can find is 25lb bags at Cabella’s. Nobody shooting black powder needs 25 lbs. of shot – more like 3 – 5. Anyone have a source?

Oh, and as this will be my first time going for turkey, is this the right size to consider?

Thanks!

Using a smokepole sounds pretty neat.

To make the most for your patterns, try nickel-plated or copper-plated shot. (Hard or magnum shot will work as well if you can't find the plated type.) You can buy these in bags of 10 lbs, or lead shot in smaller increments from Dixon's as Dave suggested. I've used Precision Reloading for their Lawrence brand when using plated shot. Best shot sizes to use for turkey are lead #4, #5 and #6. You'll have to play with what provides the best patterns out of your smoothbore. I'd pick the harder shot so as to provide the densest pattern.

Links for shot:

http://www.precision...OPPER_LEAD_SHOT

http://www.precision...ICKEL_LEAD_SHOT

As for game laws and regulations, read the digest on the PGC website. BB & #2 shot sizes are not allowed for turkey hunting. The legal shot sizes are #2-steel, or #4 lead/non-toxic. (I personally would pick lead shot over steel and my preference would be #5's.)

From Page 24 of the PGC Digest:

Arms & Ammunition:

Spring Gobbler Season:

1) Manually operated and semiautomatic

shotguns limited to a 3-shell capacity in the

chamber and magazine combined; 2) Muzzleloading shotguns

of all types and gauges; 3) Long, recurve, compound bows

(minimum draw weight of 35 pounds) or crossbows with

cutting-edge broadheads.

Fine shot no larger than No. 4 lead, No. 2 steel or No. 4

of any other approved nontoxic shot. Rifle/shotgun combination

guns may be used if ammunition is limited to shotgun

shells. Carrying or using single projectile ammunition, rifles

or handguns is unlawful.

Arms & Ammunition:

Fall Season:

1) Manually operated rifles and handguns, including rimfires;

2) Manually operated and semi-automatic shotguns limited to a 3-shell

capacity in the chamber and magazine combined; 3) Muzzleloading

shotguns, rifles and handguns; and 4) Long, recurve, compound bows

(minimum draw weight of 35 pounds) or crossbows with broadheads of

cutting edge design.

Single projectile ammunition or shot no larger than No. 4

lead, No. 2 steel or No. 4 of any other U.S. Fish & Wildlife

Service approved nontoxic shot. The fall seasons in WMU

2B (and the Allegheny County portion of 2A) are limited

to shotguns and long, recurve, compound bows or crossbows

with broadheads of cutting edge design.

Since you're a beginner, go to these two links and you'll find a wealth of info on laws and how-to's.

Turkey link on PGC website:

http://www.portal.st...D=595418&mode=2

Study guide for turkey hunters (some good info in here):

http://www.portal.st...23435875&rank=2

With my 10 ga. double I try to use a second over-shot (white) card in the barrel I shoot second (the left, actuated by the rear trigger). Then I don't have to worry about the shot josseling loose during recoil of the right side. Also, prior to ramming over-shot cards I put a small hole in or near the center of each one to allow them to go down the bore without "back-pressure". I puncture them days or weeks in advance of needing them and carry them in a small ziplock in my Possibles Bag. Easy-Peazy Quick & EASY!

I've never hunted Turkey, but I've hunted pheasant & chucker with the muzzleloader.

Dave

And this is why I love this forum! Thanks to everyone for your advice and assistance. Looks like a trip to Dixon’s is in order. I was hoping to avoid going, because there is no way I am just going to walk out the door with just 5 pounds of shot. Better go with cash and leave the credit card at home. If for some reason I don’t make it up there before the season I’ll break down some 12 gauge rounds.

Parker – Thanks for the clarification about shot sizes and the links (the Turkey Hunting manual looks excellent).

Smokin .50 – I’ll take your advice about the small hole in the over-shot card; this makes sense to me. My .62 flinter is only a single shot (actually a Jackie Brown Canoe gun), but it patterns well with 65 grains of 2F and an equal volume of shot.

I’ve also got a .75 cal Brown Bess, but it’s a monster to drag around in the field and weighs twice as much as the .62. Great follow-through though; it’s like swinging a sewer pipe strapped to a railroad tie.

My usual shotgun load for this gun is 65 grains of 2F, cardboard card, cushion, shot, and white over-shot card. Have not used it hunting with shot yet, but I’ve tried it this way on clays. This is the same gun I use for deer season loaded with a .60 ball (and yes, with that short barrel I have to get pretty close).