mge_1

Lets see your Dog aka 1st line of defense for some...

"Tank" our 2 1/2 year old male Cane Corso

IMG_2073_500.jpg

---

And our newest addition to the family, "Viper" our 5 year old female. She came from a local breeder. We gladly took her in and all of us are now attached lol.

viper_500.jpg

I've used this picture on here before, but it's my favorite. Maggie, our GSP, is a lover, but she has a big bark and from the other side of a closed door, could be quite intimidating. Once you're in, she might lick you to death.

309n2ih.jpg

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Great topic. More should employ the services of a dog. Anyone looking to do harm would move on to another house when they hear barking.

Just like any defense, I do recommend training, however.

This is Bruno, my 100+ pound long-hair German Shepard. . Unbiased and unflinching. If he doesn't know you, he doesn't like you. Unless properly introduced, of course. He will gladly give his life for my kids without a second's notice. Can't say enough.

post-5742-136182495472_thumb.jpgpost-5742-136182498997_thumb.jpg

I Love Huskys. But man can they run. And run. And run.

Ours don't run, they know they have it too good at home! :) We have an electric fence that contains them in the yard, they never challenge it even when chasing deer and small prey. The trick to catching a husky that does run is to get it's attention and then run AWAY from it. The dog will think you are playing and will reverse course and chase you.

Great thread! I am not going to embarrass my self by posting a pic of the wifes mini dachshund but the rat dose bark up a storm and will alert me if she hears anything. I just put my Austraulin cattle dog down this summer, he was a great guard dog he would patrol the house and property many times a day. I have to wait a while to get a new pup but when i do i will probably get Bouvier de Flandres unless i find something at one of the shelters that i work with. Bouviers are a great guard dog and they have hair not fur so no shedding as well as i like haveing a dog that most people have never seen before.

My 4yr old Pitbull, Tux. Approximately 70 lbs of solid muscle. I adopted him when he was a few months old and he has since become my wife's guard dog. He protects her from EVERYTHING, including me...from so much as clapping near her. First picture is how he sleeps.

post-4403-136183208314_thumb.jpg

post-4403-136183212134_thumb.jpg

I've got 2 of these maniacs. Only 20 lbs but go absolutely ballistic when someone gets within 50' of my driveway.

epu9ubuj.jpg

That's all you need! There is a difference between a watch dog and a guard dog. Very few people can properly train a guard dog. Most who try end up with a dog that is a big liability.

I'm a building contractor so I visit people in their homes quite often. A few years ago I visited a couple who had a Rottweiler. It growled at me and assumed an aggressive posture AFTER the people welcomed me into their home and were at ease with me. "Oh he's very protective of us. We trained him that way." Idiots. I packed up my stuff and left.

My shepard/ridgeback mix is very protective of me, too. However, she reads my body language and immediately calms down when she senses I am at ease. Now my lab/beagle mix? He couldn't care less if a Jeffrey Dahmer-type walked through the front door as long as the maniac scratched and/or fed him! ;)

^^^this^^^

Absolutely correct. We spent over a year "schutzhund" training and professional protection training. And only scratched the surface. Picking up again this summer. He's gone to cherry ridge since he was a puppy so gun fire does not startle him. Definitely a responsibility. Like owning a gun...