Njgunowner

Time to stop with the "God Given Right"

I can tell you from experience, as soon as you start with the "God Given Right!" , people in the North East are writing you off as a nut. Down south it's not a bad thing, here though it hurts more than helps. Stick with the points of law and the constitution. I know many many people who immediately become very hostile to gun owners when they start with the "god given right". They'll at least listen even if they don't agree when you talk law, but mixing in religion is a losing battle.

Long story short, shouting "God given right" doesn't work here and makes you look like a hysteric.

Mmm. I don't agree. Meh constitution doesn't give you rights. It merely enumerates rights that are innate to all human existence. It limits the power the government has over you by specifying a list of pre-existing rights. If the government grants you rights, they can take them away. True I don't bandy about with God in my argument for the very vald reason you cite. But, even an atheist can accept that rights are innate and the State should be prevented from violating.

Mike,

The right to self determination and self defense are innate. The constitution doesn't confer the right to own or carry. It says that the state cannot disarm you and violate your innate rights of speech, association, assembly, worship, property....

There is a distinction to be made, unless I'm mistaken.

God given right, natural right to self preservation, all the same thing. makes no diff. But I think that worrying about the other side has come to pass. That method has been tried for decades. It does not appear to work. Why do you believe we should worry about and or tolerate any hostility whatsoever?

God given right, natural right to self preservation, all the same thing. makes no diff. But I think that worrying about the other side has come to pass. That method has been tried for decades. It does not appear to work. Why do you believe we should worry about and or tolerate any hostility whatsoever?

I disagree, it has worked wonders. The last couple of decades have seen a increased recognition of gun rights like nothing else we've seen before. Sure, a core group of anti-gunners will always wait to dance in the blood of children, but look around, it is all politically driven, there is no real popular support for gun control. We were winning the culture war by correctly modifying the message. It seems silly to me to throw that out because we have a crisis.

I cringe when I hear god given right. I'm not a religious person, and last I checked I got no Fedex packages from anyone named god.

I disagree, it has worked wonders. The last couple of decades have seen a increased recognition of gun rights like nothing else we've seen before. Sure, a core group of anti-gunners will always wait to dance in the blood of children, but look around, it is all politically driven, there is no real popular support for gun control. We were winning the culture war by correctly modifying the message. It seems silly to me to throw that out because we have a crisis.

I cringe when I hear god given right. I'm not a religious person, and last I checked I got no Fedex packages from anyone named god.

I agree here. I am not a religious person. I've always said, "It's our natural born right to self defense. It is not GIVEN to us by our government as a gift of freedom, but the reason we have even freedom at all."

I guess Im just tired of playing the nicey nice game in hopes of getting a twinkie! Watching the hearings and assembly vote really twisted up my patience levels....

If you don't say or do something they can use, they'll just twist it. If you don't say a word, they'll lie and make some shit up. It is always a good idea to conduct yourself in an honorable manner in accordance of your principles. But walking on eggs around Communists gains you nothing. Ever.

When did God give us the right to carry/own weapons? In this country the US Constitution gave us that right.

Refer to the 9th Amendment to the US Constitution that you are talking about. Despite your claim, that very document says otherwise.

"The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people."

YOu don't have to believe in God to understand what a God given right is.

"Act of God" is a legal term.

Both mean things that no human really has any control of.

If you concede that all rights are man made then they can take away any number of them.

My rights are inalienable because they are God given rights. The Government doesn't give them to me, it only recognizes them.

Remember, the only reason they don't recognize God is because they want to assert that without God, they can make up whatever rights they want for you. So in essence without God you have no rights.

God doesn't have to mean Jesus. God just has to mean not human beings and not the Government.

Please google "endowed by their creator", the best thing to maintain freedom is to take it out of mans control and say it comes from God, it doesnt matter what you believe frankly, but governments that outlaw religion do so to be the ultimate power, google communism and religion. Those who wish to take away your guns are the same ones who wish to remove religion, I dont care what your thoughts on religion are but if you leave your "God given rights" for "man given" you can kiss them good bye . The fact that this discussion is even taking place is a sad reminder that public education doesnt cover our constitution.

When did God give us the right to carry/own weapons? In this country the US Constitution gave us that right.

I guess you didn't read the declaration of independence then. You should read it to gain some context.

Our rights aren't given to us in the constitution. They are recognized. Our rights are inalienable and we are born with them. Whether you think it's from God or they just came out of nowhere that is your choice. The fact is that those rights are out of the reach of the Government because they did not give them to us.

I can tell you from experience, as soon as you start with the "God Given Right!" , people in the North East are writing you off as a nut.

Honestly when you start talking about the 2nd amendment and American values in general, North Easters will write you off as a nut.

This is why they didn't want a Bill of Rights. They knew this was going to happen. That's why they put in The Ninth Amendment. I think that got some of the concerned parties on board.

Now, just like they predicted, people think The Bill of Rights is some stuff that the government should try to follow when convenient, and you have no other rights. Wrong. The Bill of Rights is 100% HANDS OFF, and in no way suggests those are the only Rights of the People or the States.

This is why they didn't want a Bill of Rights. They knew this was going to happen. That's why they put in The Ninth Amendment. I think that got some of the concerned parties on board.

Now, just like they predicted, people think The Bill of Rights is some stuff that the government should try to follow when convenient, and you have no other rights. Wrong. The Bill of Rights is 100% HANDS OFF, and in no way suggests those are the only Rights of the People or the States.

Ya know you're really annoying. Last couple of days man... Pushing my buttons by posting stuff I agree with entirely. HOW DARE YOU.

Please google "endowed by their creator", the best thing to maintain freedom is to take it out of mans control and say it comes from God, it doesnt matter what you believe frankly, but governments that outlaw religion do so to be the ultimate power, google communism and religion. Those who wish to take away your guns are the same ones who wish to remove religion, I dont care what your thoughts on religion are but if you leave your "God given rights" for "man given" you can kiss them good bye . The fact that this discussion is even taking place is a sad reminder that public education doesnt cover our constitution.

+1

God has everything to do with how this country was formed. Our founding fathers would be shocked at how this country has changed. That's the reason the progressive liberals are trying to remove God from from society. Once God is removed, we're petty much doomed. You may not want to believe this, but that's one of the reasons we're sitting where we are now.

So go a head, remove God and see how far you get. It's been doing real good for the last 50 years hasn't it.

You can believe anything you want. But when you are trying to convince someone else of something, you frame in ways they can understand. You aren't winning any arguments with the "God Given" stuff. Quite the contrary.

So what do you want us to say, that the Government wrote the constitution to give us the right to keep and bear arms?

If that's the case, if the Government gave us the right to keep and bear arms, what's to prevent said Government from taking it away?

You can believe anything you want. But when you are trying to convince someone else of something, you frame in ways they can understand. You aren't winning any arguments with the "God Given" stuff. Quite the contrary.

Truth is truth- if you don't like it, or the politicians don't like it, or the anti-gunners don't like it, it's tough shite and based on ignorance. The truth, with regards to the founders, God, and how they viewed Him and referenced Him in our founding documents, is there for the finding. I for one am done playing "politically-correct games" and as mipafox says, "walking on eggshells around communists." Done. Done playing THEIR game THEIR way. Whatever it comes down to in the end, it comes down to. But I'm done.