Ddc2003

Opinion- Would you like to see a Gun Store and Range in Old Bridge?

Yes, nj gun people need another shop/range to complain about pricing, employee attitude, srrvice, and vow never to darken the door of again. :)

While I tend to agree with your tongue in cheek assessment of the average NJ gun range patron,this is not solely a NJ phenomenon. Log on to Yelp and search gun ranges in Miami or San Antonio. You'll find that whiners transcend state borders.

First off....just to be realistic.....do you have the money to enter this venture?

Second...do you have the "right" contacts?

Its not that easy.

how hard is it? What about selling ammo online, What kind of capital are we talking about? I am starting the process and thought a good way to start off was a only a couple kinds of rounds on gunbroker or armslist? Would $100k be enough to start?

Also variances approved for an indoor shooting facility in Monroe the middle of last year but no further word on any progress since.

they are still working on the site plan which should be approved in the next couple months. progress is being made but all the recent gun politics have slowed everything down a bit.

they are still working on the site plan which should be approved in the next couple months. progress is being made but all the recent gun politics have slowed everything down a bit.

Thanks for the update,myself and some neighbors are quite excited to the possibility of having a range so close. I do hope however the business plan is not one akin to some of the ranges that recently opened or in the works where the emphasis is on recouping one's investments in as shortest time as possible leading to exorbitantly priced memberships,range fees,ammo,accessories and firearms.

I would love to see a place like this in Old Bridge, especially if there is a public range.

There are some decent paintball fields in OB, so I like the idea, but I fear having all of those in one shop will spread it too thin. Jack of all shooting sports, master of none?

The training facility would be great though, I would think there is a lot of opportunity there for intro or home defense courses.

Ok so I guess the OP decided not to pm me so I will post it here.

I suppose most of you no longer remember the fact that Old Bridge was the site of an active shooter incident less than 12 months ago. The political climate in this town will not permit anyone to open anything firearms related for some time. In addition to this, when the general public learns of your plans, you will receive some of the most emotionally charged backlash that this state has ever seen, and you wil SURELY have your plans thwarted before you get any further.

I suppose most of you no longer remember the fact that Old Bridge was the site of an active shooter incident less than 12 months ago. The political climate in this town will not permit anyone to open anything firearms related for some time. In addition to this, when the general public learns of your plans, you will receive some of the most emotionally charged backlash that this state has ever seen, and you wil SURELY have your plans thwarted before you get any further.

^^^^^THIS^^^^^

And if you still wanted to try, you'd have to spend at least a few hundred thousand just on a public relations campaign. Then millions on just the Land Buffer, then all of the regular costs associated with building a Commercial Property: Permits, Legal, Zoning, Construction, Stock, Labor, Advertising, Insurance, Bond to the Town, Cleaning Service, Phone, Internet, Taxes, Uniforms, Software, Hardware, etc., etc., AND THEN EVERYBODY HERE WOULD COMPLAIN ABOUT PRICES, WANT SPECIAL DEALS FOR FORUM MEMBERS and then go buy stuff over the internet!!!!!!!

JMHO

Dave

I recall when Ira at Legend was doing a feasibility study on a range with lounge and store in OB, had the already standing commercial space committed and then nothing became of it...perhaps he also encountered the pitfalls you've described and realized it was a futile endeavor

Yeah i have been thinking about trying for an FFL in howell, but i dont have the cash to start a range. I live in Howell tho, so i am open to talking to someone about being a managing partner if one is needed to get something started. I havent gone to the howell zoning board yet. Not sure if it makes a difference but howell is pretty conservative and issue permits in 3 weeks, well last time i went anyway. So maybe the zoning board is a little more lenient with firearms related ventures... who knows...

I have said it a few times, but something on Rt9 in howell/freehold would be a killer location!

Basically it all boils-down to margins and Return On Investment (ROI), no matter who tries to do it wherever they want to open a store with range. Speaking just for myself, I wouldn't join a range that's only indoor since they prohibit black powder and clay birds thrown in the air--two of my greatest "loves". Besides, shooting at paper gets boring really fast, and high velocity rifle fire in the same indoor range hurts my ears. Maybe I'm just "spoiled", but there are a lot like me! That's why I mentioned "Buffer Zone" property purchasing. An outdoor facility needs a lot of "breathing room" for noise abatement issues.

Buying/leasing property along a major highway is in the millions. That's one of the reasons that Ray's is now a parking lot for an Automobile Dealership.....