Dan_G

First Rifle Suggestions

I will be applying for an FID in less than a month and have been researching what may be some good first rifles. Currently I am going to school in Maryland so I cannot apply for an FID without driving 3.5 hrs to NJ. So I probably have a long time to decide but would like some opinions for now.

My criteria is

- no rimfire

- easyish or at least pre crazyness,to get ammo the cheaper the better, 7.62x54r and 7.62x39 ok. Prefer 9mm over .45 because of price

- semi or bolt

- easy to get parts

- prefer used or surplus

- something that most people would keep in their collection

- I like something with history or that would be a little different, C&R.

- not looking for something too accurate or for defense. Just an occasionnal shooter

- $600ish limit total

Right now I am considering getting both a 91/30 Mosin or Carbine Mosin and a Chinese SKS.

I am thinking the Mosin because it is cheap, readily available, everyone has one, and for now the surplus ammo is cheap.

I am thinking the SKS because it seems like a fairly priced reliable semi with history. I like the Chinese because it has the chrome lined bore so hopefully it will hold up better and be in better condition.

I have very little experience and will be shooting a friend's Mosin this weekend. My only real experience is shooting my .20 rifled pellet rifle.

First off, are you over 21?

I would suggest a lever-action rifle in .30-30 if you are under 21 and a lever action carbine in .38/357 if you are over 21. The reason is simple.

First off, both are centerfire.

30-30 is still common enough to be found on gun store shelves. It's a reasonably fun round to shoot and reasonably priced. You can still use a 30-30 for home defense. Plenty of woodsman have done it for years where a 30-30 was the only rifle in the house.

If you are over 21 you can buy handgun ammo without trying to explain yourself to the clerk. Go with a .38/.357 lever-action rifle. The ammo is reasonably priced and one day if you ever buy a handgun you have commonality of ammunition if you ever buy a revolver.

Have fun. Be safe. And welcome to the forums. We're a big family here and we always like to give new members a warm welcome.

Oh, and watch the video below and seriously consider joining NJ2AS.org to help keep your Second Amendment rights.

Thank You. I am 21 forgot about that.

Just wondering though, why no rimfire? It's cheap, you can pack a lot of it for a range session and it can also be used in the home defense role, although it is less than ideal.

I feel like its too small and I may want to upgrade in the future and dont want to buy two rifles when one could have accomplished my goal. Also I think it may be kind of boring with little recoil. The last and only time I shot a gun was 11 years ago when I was 10. It was some .22lr. I should be shooting some .22 rifle this weekend maybe my opinion will change.

I am open to something that is modular and takes both a rimfire and centerfire upper.

The M44 and Chinese SKS are both great choices. Ammo is relatively easy to get and cheap. I say both. The M44 is more entertaining with the flash and boom from the short barrel. I suggest a limbsaver for the M44. Your shoulder will thank you later. There's no mistaken when a M44 goes off next to you.

The last and only time I shot a gun was 11 years ago when I was 10. It was some .22lr. I should be shooting some .22 rifle this weekend maybe my opinion will change.

I am open to something that is modular and takes both a rimfire and centerfire upper.

See, this is where it gets tougher. The only modular rifle platform that can do centerfire or rimfire would be an AR. You can't find any these days, and you certainly can't find any for a price point of $600.

I still think you should stick with the lever-action 30-30 or .38/.357 with the special preference going to the .38/.357 since that can be used in a pistol should you choose to get one someday.

I can give you one more option that actually turns your gun into a rifle and allows you to shoot whatever you want.

Consider a 12 gauge Stoger Coach Gun for about $400. Then go to Short Lane Arms www.gunadapters.com and purchase the 9mm or .22LR long barrel 8" adapters. These special adapters allow you to shoot 9mm, 45LC and .22 through your double-barreled shotgun. I have one in .22 LR and it's very handy. As a bonus - you get a shotgun out of the deal. Now you only need one gun and can shoot a variety of ammunition.

+1 for a lever action 30-30. Great gun and not expensive. Small enough for home defense weapon.

The 30-30 was being used for home defense back when it could be considered * homestead defense.* It's a fine cartridge that you always see on the shelves because it's been eclipsed in popularity by the .223.

dont want to buy two rifles when one could have accomplished my goal.

I dont think you have mentioned: what is your goal?

My inclination is to get multiple rifles and a 22 variation for each platform. Cost savings on ammunition for practices quickly outweigh the cost of rifle. Skills learned on rimfire platform is highly transferable.

Thanks,

My goal is just to have a fun rifle that I wont get rid of in a reliable platform. Prefer a bolt or semi but the lever looks ok.

I am hoping to shoot some of the suggestions you guys gave me to see what feels best.

Also is the coach gun something that can do many things but excels at nothing?

I know the lever action diehards are going to love this. Mossberg makes a 30-30 lever action in the ZMB series. Not a bad price and yes it is tacticooled out. Collapsible stock and rails ready to go. Just putting it out there.

Mossberg 464™ SPX: MSRP-$535.00. I'm a little disappointed in the 5+1 capacity :p

Thanks,

My goal is just to have a fun rifle that I wont get rid of in a reliable platform. Prefer a bolt or semi but the lever looks ok.

I am hoping to shoot some of the suggestions you guys gave me to see what feels best.

Also is the coach gun something that can do many things but excels at nothing?

I think you already singled out the best choices for fun/wont get rid of/reliable....

So go buy yourself a Mosin and and an SKS and start shooting without too much analysis.

Over your lifetime you ll probably change a few guns and 600$ you ll spend quickly in ammo for any gun you buy.....so its not like your choice will be set in stone for the next 100 yrs.

If you are a Maryland Resident why dont you buy something there.

You dont need an FID to have a gun in NJ, just to buy a long gun on NJ (including buying ammo).

Of course if you live on campus this is not a good option.

I'd look for a Remington 700 bolt-action rifle in .30/06. Plenty of upgrades, plenty of power, etc. and if you can find an older, used one, you might have enough money leftover to get a Marlin 60.

or that SKS and a rimfire rifle

My goal is just to have a fun rifle that I wont get rid of in a reliable platform.

This is exactly what you said you did not want (sorry!) but my suggestion is: Ruger 10/22 for about $200. It was my first rifle, and I still shoot it today (literally today. It was cold out.)

These are the reasons:

1) You may not like rifle shooting: many people don't find it engaging. A 10/22 is a cheap way to find out if the sport is for you.

2) Some people gravitate towards making the smallest possible hole at the longest distance. Then you get scopes, better trigger, better barrel, etc... 10/22 has huge aftermarket to support that. Then second rifle you get a Remington 700 or Savage.

3) Some people gravitate towards position shooting: standing, kneeling, sitting, prone. Semi has easier learning curve because you don't

need to break line-of-sight for follow-up shot.

4) Some people gravitate towards tactical shooting: iron sights, red dot. You can swap the stock on the 10/22 to a tactical stock very easily. Then second rifle you get can be an AR-15.

Thanks,

I am an NJ resident that goes to school in MD. I cant keep anything on campus because of school rules.

Any tips for looking for a good Mosin or SKS. I know that AIM and a couple other places routinely get some.

Here is some good advice from the C&R section:

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/10818-how-i-pick-a-good-rifle-when-milsurping-at-fun-shows-or-shop/

Sarco in Easton,PA and most PA gunshows have mosins and SKS regularly

I've got to tell you, the 10/22 is a FUN rifle. It's inexpensive to operate, it's dead-on accurate, and there are endless options for customization in the after market.

Take some advice from on old-timer; Own a few rifles (including your first) just because they are fun to shoot because you'll get a lot more enjoyment from those rifles. A fun rifle is one that gets fired often. The Zombie Apocalypse rifle will be put away and seldom used. And there is a 1 in 1,000,000,000 chance it will be used for it's intended purpose, where a fun gun is used thousands of times for its intended purpose.

I went to the range today and today and tried out a couple of friend's guns in MD. I definitely like the rifles over the handguns.

I shot

- Savage .22lr bolt - kinda boring but nice to use and not worry about the recoil and very cheap to shoot

- Smith and Wesson .22lr revolver - first one I shot. Not much recoil. Didnt find myself flinching before shooting

- Kimber Ultra Carry .45 with the really short barrel - Crazy recoil flinched before shooting on at least half the shots. Would like to try a full length 1911, didnt like it much.

- Rock River Ar15, 30 round mag, bayo lug, adjustable stock, forward grip - Had a really nice feel to it with not much recoil. Fun to shoot, had decent groups at 100 yards.

- M39 Finnish Mosin - My shoulder is sore. Probably my favorite of all I shot today. Similar groups to Ar at 100 yards. It was a little heavy for me to stand and aim accurately after a couple shots. I want to try an SKS before I buy one of these.

My order from most to least favorite is

- Mosin

- Ar15

- both .22

- M39 Finnish Mosin - My shoulder is sore. Probably my favorite of all I shot today. Similar groups to Ar at 100 yards.

I think you have your answer. All the best. Have fun and be safe.

Yup I am definitely buying a Mosin. Just need to decide if I want a Finnish, Normal, or Carbine. Hopefully this coming weekend I can shoot somebody's 91/30 to get a real feel of the difference between it and the Finnish. I was able to dry fire a 91/30 last weekend but couldn't shoot it. In general it felt less solid than the Finnish.

Also my shoulder is still a little sore from the Mosin.