NJGunGeek1980

Pined Stock Question

So I am in the process of getting my first AR15 and the shop i am getting it from is making it Jersey Compliant by pining the stock i asked them if it could be pined after i held the rifle so if i wanted it pined closer it could be they said no it had to be pined all the way back. No i have read the jersey law and i do not see any anything in there saying where it has to be pined just that it has to be. Can anyone shed some light on this thanks.

The stock can be pinned anywhere you want it, it just has to be pinned. I have gone into the shop I use the guy had my son shoulder the rifle multiple ways before he pinned the stock. I would drop in and ask to see the rifle to see what he is doing. This sounds fishy to me. I have never pinned a stock in the last position it not comfortable for me or my kids.

Yes, this is correct. I blind pinned mine myself to the position I like to shoot it. I would take it somewhere else. If you are handy, you can pin it yourself. Its super easy. I purchased a roll pin assortment from amazon.com.

PM me and I can walk you through it.

Just ask them to show you the statute that says they have to be pinned in the fully extended position. They can't because there is none.

Just points up the nonsense of the AWB - I can pin (sorry, not pine - unless you were looking for a wooden stock and we've all misunderstood :rolleyes: ) a stock in the shortest position or the longest position, but cannot have it adjust from one to the other - makes no sense. Good luck - I wouldn't worry about offending the shop - they need to stop spreading misinformation, things are bad enough as they are.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

You have to remove the outer stock off the tube and determine a hidden location that you can drill in -between two lock positions with the stock in the location you wish. Remember that it has to be "blind pinned" where it can't be backed out. In the extension tube you only drill through one wall, not all the way through. It's a two step process.

So I am in the process of getting my first AR15 and the shop i am getting it from is making it Jersey Compliant by pining the stock i asked them if it could be pined after i held the rifle so if i wanted it pined closer it could be they said no it had to be pined all the way back. No i have read the jersey law and i do not see any anything in there saying where it has to be pined just that it has to be. Can anyone shed some light on this thanks.

What make & model AR are you purchasing? Stag, S&W and some other manufacturers sell compliant models that use a fixed stock which look like their collapsable counterparts. They're not pinned since there is only one position in the buffer tube that's fastened with a screw.

If what you say is true, I would be suspicious of the FFL -- especially if you're being charged extra to make the AR compliant. Is he doing any compliancy work other than just "pinning" the stock?

It's not the law. If they won't pin it where you like, call TJ Sporting Arms in Central Jersey. They will do it.

Do it yourself or take it to one the others suggested taking it to. JMO

Yes, this is correct. I blind pinned mine myself to the position I like to shoot it. I would take it somewhere else. If you are handy, you can pin it yourself. Its super easy. I purchased a roll pin assortment from amazon.com.

PM me and I can walk you through it.

It's not the law. If they won't pin it where you like, call TJ Sporting Arms in Central Jersey. They will do it.

Does Pine make good stocks? I always thought pine was a softer wood and wouldn't be that good for a rifle stock. I guess I was thinking something like walnut would make a much better stock.

Tell that to a jersey judge. I can see it now... "Uh your honor, I didn't know the pin I put in my stock was removable"

Care to show where the law says that it has to be permanent? Hell not even a pinned and welded brake is permanent, I can get one off in about 2 minutes with a grinder.

*crickets*

cricket.gifcricket.gifcricket.gif

Ait, this is a little off topic, but I'm trying to get a pin out of a stock. More specifically a S&W M&P 15-22 pinned 6-point stock. From what I understand, there is no spring in the tube like a real AR, it's just hollow. I was told by the shop I bought it from I can remove it by drilling through the opposite side, and poking it through. Quite frankly, I don't want to do that. I somehow got it out before with no tools at all, and like an a$$hole, put it back in before putting on the 1-point sling adapter I bought. Now I can't seem to get it back out for the life of me, no matter what tools I try to use. ....any suggestions....?

Ait, this is a little off topic, but I'm trying to get a pin out of a stock. More specifically a S&W M&P 15-22 pinned 6-point stock. From what I understand, there is no spring in the tube like a real AR, it's just hollow. I was told by the shop I bought it from I can remove it by drilling through the opposite side, and poking it through. Quite frankly, I don't want to do that. I somehow got it out before with no tools at all, and like an a$$hole, put it back in before putting on the 1-point sling adapter I bought. Now I can't seem to get it back out for the life of me, no matter what tools I try to use. ....any suggestions....?

You may be able to use an 'EZ Out', which is a screw extractor.

It should bite into the roll pin, and compress it enough for you to remove the pin.