capri_auto

Riflegear 15/20 pmag issues

I have 4 of them and I do not have this issue. if I guide the charging handle forward slowly it does get stuck. Forward assist takes care of that though. But if I just let the charging handle go it chambers the round no problem because of momentum.

Will it chamber yours when you hit the forward assist?

I don't think this is an issue isolated to just the riflegear magazines.

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/39035-ar-pmag-question/page__p__518301__hl__capacity__fromsearch__1#entry518301

Do you have issues when the bolt is locked back and you load 15? Do you have issues when you only load 14?

I have problems in the past with the bolt stripping a round when I have 15 rounds in the pinned PMAGs from MidwestPX. The issue occurs even when the bolt is locked back. I just save myself the trouble and load 14. It runs problem free.

On the full 30 round magazines, MidwestPX suggests going down to 28 rounds.

Did you try diffrent ammo?

No, but I haven't had an issue with this ammo in my other mags even tho it is shit ammo, plus its the only box of ammo i have right now. Seems like the bullet tips are sitting too low when the mag is more than half full. 5 rounds in the mag feeds fine but the first round is getting scratched on the feed ramp. My best guess is that maybe the block inside the mag isn't cut correctly?

I am confused by that photo. To me, it looks strange.

Photo shows the bolt attempting to chamber a round but the bullet it impacted in the feeding ramp. I just rebuilt the bolt, same issues. I am keeping the mag loaded to see if it breaks in and I emailed riflegear to see what they can do to help.

It looks like your feed ramps could be extended further down some. All of my barrels are cut all the way to the upper receiver, and on my RRA upper the receiver itself has a cut for the feed ramps. Not sure if the pmags have the bullets sitting lower which is causing the issue or if they have a smaller loading angle, but a good solution would be to open up the feed ramps, even if you didn't need to i would for feeding reliability. There is no negative side effect, your just removing any possible edges the bullet tip might contact.

This is a good reference, take a look, compare them and let us know.

http://www.m4carbine...hread.php?t=193

If you had m4 ramps, there is no edge for the bullet to snag on.

not sure your skill level but a dremel can make quick work grinding and polishing feed ramps, i wouldn't do it to the receiver tho.

capri_auto

I took a look at the picture and jackdawack does bring up good points, but by the looks of the picture, even through your feed ramps don't extend into the receiver, the round should still strip off and fall off the little "cliff" there onto the barrel portion of the feed ramp. Reason I bring this up is I started building AR's while living in CA. Riflegear was a retail store for me in Fountain Valley. I have a lot of the 10/20 Magpuls. Sometimes when they mod the mag (they have to mess with the spring as part of the mod) the follower is a little tight with the first round as the spring bottoms out. I had this problem before when my rifle got real dirty or I neglected the extractor cleaning. I figured mine out by actually removing the extractor off of the bolt and reinstalling the BCG sans extractor. When I did the round chambered fine. It seems that on the first round the mag was real tite and did not allow a dirty extractor that may have been restricted in its movement a little to grab the round just right. Just food for thought.

capri_auto

I took a look at the picture and jackdawack does bring up good points, but by the looks of the picture, even through your feed ramps don't extend into the receiver, the round should still strip off and fall off the little "cliff" there onto the barrel portion of the feed ramp. Reason I bring this up is I started building AR's while living in CA. Riflegear was a retail store for me in Fountain Valley. I have a lot of the 10/20 Magpuls. Sometimes when they mod the mag (they have to mess with the spring as part of the mod) the follower is a little tight with the first round as the spring bottoms out. I had this problem before when my rifle got real dirty or I neglected the extractor cleaning. I figured mine out by actually removing the extractor off of the bolt and reinstalling the BCG sans extractor. When I did the round chambered fine. It seems that on the first round the mag was real tite and did not allow a dirty extractor that may have been restricted in its movement a little to grab the round just right. Just food for thought.

Here is some food for thought, at that particular point in time that is shown in the picture what part of the bolt is actually contacting the base of the cartridge ? At what point in time would the base of the cartridge be in a position to be seated against the bolt face? I don't think the base of the round is seated against the bolt face until the moment the round stops moving forward in the chamber,my 2 cents

Hard to tell from that picture but looks like the barrel extension has M4 feedramps and the receiver does not.

I have never done that, but according to these guys it is still ok and I am sure they know a hell of a lot more than I do!

http://www.ar15barrels.com/gfx/feedramps.jpg

You're right. The ramps don't look like they were made for a M4 receiver.

i know but those ramps don't look long enough for the standard rifle ramps. Maybe it's the pic, but the ramps should meet the receiver, where the M4 would actually continue onto the receiver.

Pull the bolt. Make sure extractor cavity is clean an not hanging it up. Also when you remove the extractor, there will be a small spring and maybe a small oring slid over the spring. Try using without o-ring and /or replacing extractor spring.

Also depress your ejector all the way to see if its gritty or hanging up somehow.

Up to 5 rounds seems to feed fine.

Something is definately up with the mag spring or follower, as you load more rounds it seems that the follower must be tilting. I wonder if the spring was modified ? IIRC Midwest PX does not modify the spring,his blocking mechanism allows the spring to function just as it was designed. You could unpin the mags and check to see what's going on in there,maybe they just installed the spring backwards. Either way what a pain in the ass.

If you can post us a pic of just the mags with 1 round loaded and fully loaded,paying attention to how the round seats up against the feed lips.