SgtToadette

What BUIS do you use and why?

Range report on the LWRC Skirmish sights:

I really wanted to like these sights. The design is excellent. I really like the rotating aperture which lets the sights be folded down with either the small or big holes. The sight picture is also very good.

However, they did not fare well in the execution department. While there is a a positive clicking sound when the sights are folded up, there is definite wiggle which is concerning. I went to go sight them in, starting at 25 yards, and it was shooting eight inches or so inches low, and 2 inches or so right. Albeit very consistently. No amount of adjusting the  sights seemed to help.

Now I'm no gunsmith or shooting expert, but I can be pretty darn sure I know how to slide some sights on my rails and screw them on. I can also be pretty darn sure I can put a hole where I want it at 25 yards with an AR. These are not problems I've had on the same rifle with a pair of MBUS sights which cost a third as much. I'll be contacting LWRC customer service after I take another range visit to confirm that the issue is the sights. I'll be bringing both the MBUS and Skirmish sights.

All in all, very disappointed. Maybe I got a bad run, but for a product that carries the LWRC name I expect a whole hell of a lot better. If all else fails, I'll probably throw on some Troy HK style sights and call it a day.

16 minutes ago, checko said:

I have both. I prefer the m4. I don't like the curved post guards for some reason. Just preference

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Only argument I've researched " more front post protection "

only advise I've had is height difference. Especially with cowitness.

im sorry for necroposter guys, I've been here for sum time. Jus never AR

and now. I have dumb questions 

@Krdshrk

Only argument I've researched " more front post protection " only advise I've had is height difference. Especially with cowitness.

im sorry for necroposter guys, I've been here for sum time. Jus never AR

and now. I have dumb questions 

[mention=2170]Krdshrk[/mention]

Eh I've never worried about breaking the post. There are rail height and gas block height. Most ar's will use rail height unless you have a railed gas block.  

The co witness will matter on the height of your optic mount.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

Doesn't matter.

If you can tell the difference between HK and M4 type front BUIS, you aren't doing doing it right....

My letter of resume only reflects 35 years of Patridge irons or Scopes.

17 minutes ago, checko said:

Eh I've never worried about breaking the post. There are rail height and gas block height. Most ar's will use rail height unless you have a railed gas block.  

The co witness will matter on the height of your optic mount.

Thank you

no back up sights for me. spend enough on the optic and there's just about no way that thing is failing, under any circumstances.

also, i never really understood the purpose of them if you're living in the usa. on patrol in iraq? ok, maybe. but here? what would anyone on this forum be doing that would 1. cause a primary scope/optic to fail and 2. necessitate the need for immediate deployment of back up sights? it's a waste of rail space and weight to me

i will leave you with the wise words of frank proctor, a man i respect a great deal:

http://soldiersystems.net/2016/08/13/gunfighter-moment-frank-proctor-16/

no back up sights for me. spend enough on the optic and there's just about no way that thing is failing, under any circumstances.
also, i never really understood the purpose of them if you're living in the usa. on patrol in iraq? ok, maybe. but here? what would anyone on this forum be doing that would 1. cause a primary scope/optic to fail and 2. necessitate the need for immediate deployment of back up sights? it's a waste of rail space and weight to me
i will leave you with the wise words of frank proctor, a man i respect a great deal:
Some people like shooting iron sights or just like to learn how to use them. I like to think that my optic would never fail but there are several ways I can think of it happening which are not far fetched. The price if a pair of magpul back ups are worth the piece of mind.

• Like 1

So wait... you never had a battery die in a electronic device? That is a failure.

All of my red dots have backup iron... whether they are cowitnessed stock sights or irons I purchased. None of them really were installed in a way that hinders anything else on my guns. And that includes being able to toss on a magnifier behind them.

You can accept Proctor's view... I don't. I have backup irons on a magnified (1.5-6x) AR... without the optic being too far forward. It's called offset iron sights. Have a light on it... no desire for a laser (not the gun I'd put an IR laser on).
  • Like 1

no, i've never had a battery die in an electronic optic. aimpoint t2. 5 year, always on battery life, which i intend to replace every 3 years. all of my other optics have etched glass reticles, no battery needed to perform. 

but yeah i was thinking after my initial post that i didn't mean to throw the thread off-topic, so apologies . iron sights are fun and are a great way to learn fundamentals. i just take issue with everyone religiously running them on every rifle they own for fear of this phantom "optic fail" that never, ever happens. my lwrcs come with skirmish sights, which have seemed pretty good the 2-3 times i've tried them (before taking them off and throwing them into a drawer :) )

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Indianajonze said:

no, i've never had a battery die in an electronic optic. aimpoint t2. 5 year, always on battery life, which i intend to replace every 3 years. all of my other optics have etched glass reticles, no battery needed to perform. 

but yeah i was thinking after my initial post that i didn't mean to throw the thread off-topic, so apologies . iron sights are fun and are a great way to learn fundamentals. i just take issue with everyone religiously running them on every rifle they own for fear of this phantom "optic fail" that never, ever happens. my lwrcs come with skirmish sights, which have seemed pretty good the 2-3 times i've tried them (before taking them off and throwing them into a drawer :) )

A lot of stuff here and in this state could  be settled with" to each his own"

and the whole " whilst in the commission of a crime "

I like back ups. There are no absolutes 

I've never had an optic die on me. But all my rifles have a back up sighting system of some kind - either vis-laser or irons. Most have BUIS - Troy and couple with the GGG MAD for the "social" guns and MBUS for training and Comp guns.

Just because a failure hasn't happened doesn't mean it won't, and Murphy is a straight up motherfucker.

If you are worried about the weight (3.2oz for a set of Troys) :rolleyes: go to the gym.

Waste of railspace? WTF are you putting on your gun that the 2 rear slots and 3 front slots of Pic are wasted with BUIS?

If you think they will interfere with your primary optics, choose a different style of BUIS.

For some of us the rifles we use are life saving equipment. I regularly use my rifle at work looking for bad guys - so there is a datapoint for you regarding people on this forum doing work with their guns.

Just because you don't need it doesn't mean it's good advice for everyone- For example: I use my BUIS to verify my zero hasn't changed in my rifle everyday before work. I flip up the BUIS and cowitness my dot to my irons. Gives me an instant go/no-go on my rifle and confidence to carry the gun on the street. Banging around in safe it in a rack or cased in the trunk of a squad car can mess with things. Can't do that without BUIS.

For me, 2=1, 1=0

I like Proctor. He knows his shit and seems like a hell of an instructor and a really cool down to earth guy. He is also a huge proponent of ultra-light gear. I personally don't agree with his stance on this for what I do. 

So you read his article. Good. Have you taken one of his classes? You have some knowledge - but knowledge isn't wisdom. I have hundreds of hours as both a student and an instructor that lets me work the kinks out of my gear and TTPs. That is how knowledge becomes wisdom. What actual training have you done, under the watchful eye of a legit instructor, that has shown you that what you think works, actually works - and works better than other options?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, High Exposure said:

I don’t mind a fixed front sight, I hate a fixed rear iron if I’m running a RDS.

It's hard for me, personally, to NOT own a rifle that doesn't have fixed sights.  Although the days of rifles having ANY sights are dying.

2 hours ago, High Exposure said:

I don’t mind a fixed front sight, I hate a fixed rear iron if I’m running a RDS.

ETA: GGG MAD is ask an excellent low profile option for a rear BUIS. But if I was getting a set - Troy all the way.

What does GGG MAD stand for?