SgtToadette

What BUIS do you use and why?

GGG is a company

MAD (Multiple Aperture Device) is a rear sight they developed for the Navy where both apertures are in the same plane - the Troy’s and Magpul sights are as well. Having the aperture in the same visualmplane allow the to better co-witness with RDS and let both apertures have the same zero distance.

Most rear iron sights on the M16 FoW have a small and large aperture. When you zero one, the other has a different zero giving the Soldier/Marine a large aperture zero for close (inside 300 meters) and small aperture zero for far (past 300 meters).**

Most civilian shooters are better served with a same plane iron sight.

** There’s more to that, but that’s the quick and dirty of it.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, High Exposure said:

I think the MAD is cheaper than the Troy rear BUIS.

I don’t like tritium sights on my rifles so that is cheaper as well. 

Actually, the MAD isn't terribly expensive, it looks to be in the same range as Magpul MBUS Pro.  You get what you pay for.

19 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

Actually, the MAD isn't terribly expensive, it looks to be in the same range as Magpul MBUS Pro.  You get what you pay for.

200 clams?!?!?  Pass

https://www.gggaz.com/ar-mad-front-and-rear-sight-packages.html

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Ray Ray said:

If you order it from Brownell's you can pay in US dollars instead of clams, they only charge $122.00 or Amazon $105.00.

34 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

If you order it from Brownell's you can pay in US dollars instead of clams, they only charge $122.00 or Amazon $105.00.

That's more better

Although I have a number of BUIS, KAC's are my favorite. I like the way they adjust and I get a crisp clear sight picture through them. The stock irons on some of my other rifles are good. But my LEAST favorite are the stock BUIS on the Tavor.

https://www.knightarmco.com/1960/shop/optic-mount-buis/micro-rear-flip-sight-2

9 hours ago, Shane45 said:

But my LEAST favorite are the stock BUIS on my Tavor.

The idea behind them was something to have in case of an emergency BUT not to be in the way of your primary optic.  They work, mostly.

Hmmmm and all this time I was wondering why they call them back up iron sights! :facepalm:

My issue isnt with their operation or location. Its with the sight picture through them. For me its a very muted picture. The way they are letting the light through(or not) or the shape of the opening or something in the way they are shaped makes for a very dim sight picture for me. So much so that they are fundamentally unusable for me in low light.

I don't use or need BUIS. Not necessary. Optics never fail. If batteries die, change them. If you dropped your rifle on the optic and it breaks, buy another.

What's the emergency? Is there someone after you? Do you expect to go to battle with the Popo? Please.

Okay. I understand the fantasy commando world you live in and that you can't have real guns. So you load up your guns with extra bullshit feel good accessories which doubles the weight, but does nothing for accuracy.

Unlike this post Zeke and RayRay.

[emoji104]

I post this in jest. Take no offense. [emoji111]

Sent from an undisclosed location via Tapatalk

• Like 4

The mapgul gen 2 BUS are pretty good. I've put them on and needed little to no adjustment. Cheap enough as well to justify likely never using them.

To each their own on BUS though. I usually sell the magpul BUS that tend to come with kits but nothing wrong with throwing them on if you want. If my red dot battery dies, I put the weapon back in the bag and shoot something else for the day. In a home defense situation, I can easily point and shoot the 15 feet or less with black rifles, though I doubt I'd pick it up for that situation anyway (shotgun guy). Again, to each their own.

Now if I was going into combat or LEO, that'd be much different. I'd also have the $1000 red dot, the best body armor, etc. 

• Like 1

Well...there is that whole accuracy thing :D. If I wanna shoot fast I use the dot. If I want to make a tight group at a reasonable distance I use irons. Tactical Timmy aside, in a more practical sense, the outing need not end if the optic dies. In terms of competition, I have had to deploy my BUIS in a stage when the dot went TU. And then there is real use. There I am a fan of fixed, lower 1/3rd. But I live with flip irons 99% because thats not my world, Im mostly LPV's at this point. I just designed for the other one :D

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PK90 said:

I don't use or need BUIS. Not necessary. Optics never fail. If batteries die, change them. If you dropped your rifle on the optic and it breaks, buy another.

What's the emergency? Is there someone after you? Do you expect to go to battle with the Popo? Please.

Okay. I understand the fantasy commando world you live in and that you can't have real guns. So you load up your guns with extra bullshit feel good accessories which doubles the weight, but does nothing for accuracy.

Unlike this post Zeke and RayRay.

emoji104.png

I post this in jest. Take no offense. emoji111.png

Sent from an undisclosed location via Tapatalk

I dislike this post @Ray Ray. Wut? He said too

Tbh @PK90the only person that doesn’t need back up is Chuck Norris. Because he is the back up.

My $0.02. Feel free to not take my advice. 

If your front BUIS is attached to the rail, you are probably wasting your time unless it is VERY, VERY rigid. 

Anything offset is going to kind of suck for longer ranges, and if it is not longer ranges, just canting the gun and sighting down the forearm will take you pretty far. 

My guns using them are flip ups integral to the gas block. They are the least wrong of the solutions accessible for a DIY build. 

My rear of choice is the arms 40 LP. Magpul pro is the same logic, and I'd buy one of them if I didn't already own all that I need in arms 40lp flavor. 

2 hours ago, raz-0 said:

My $0.02. Feel free to not take my advice. 

If your front BUIS is attached to the rail, you are probably wasting your time unless it is VERY, VERY rigid. 

Anything offset is going to kind of suck for longer ranges, and if it is not longer ranges, just canting the gun and sighting down the forearm will take you pretty far. 

My guns using them are flip ups integral to the gas block. They are the least wrong of the solutions accessible for a DIY build. 

My rear of choice is the arms 40 LP. Magpul pro is the same logic, and I'd buy one of them if I didn't already own all that I need in arms 40lp flavor. 

I have no clue what you are talking about.

• Like 1

There are two things that can cause a shift in a rail mounted front sight. The one he is referring to is likely deflection of the forend from outside forces such as the sling. Thus the reason he is saying you need a strong forend (that doesn't deflect as much). The other thing is when a barrel heats up, if it walks a bit, the rail mounted sight didnt go with it possibly causing a shift as well. If the sight is on the gas block and the barrel walks, since its on the barrel, theoretically it will reduce the shift because it moves with it.