SgtToadette

What BUIS do you use and why?

Hey guys.

I'm in the market for some BUIS, and while I had wanted to go with a set of Skirmish sights from LWRC, I can't find them anywhere. I was looking at grabbing some gen 2 Magpul BUIS to tide me over.

What do you guys run? And what has been your experience with your selection?

MBUS for me, i like the push to open feature. I don't have the rear, because i didn't really like the sight picture and i have a rear 1/3 co-witness mount. The rear metal one's look much cleaner when your looking down the sights. And i like the solid rear sight with full adjustment, which mean i dont have to tinker with the front height.

Troy Battle Sight Rear Fixed. I've run the Magpul MBUS before, and while they're not bad by any means, I prefer fixed sights (even though I run an Aimpoint). I bank on the fact that all gear, even Aimpoints, will ultimately take a huge dump at the exact they're needed-- Murphy's Law. Its light, sturdy, and I can still accomplish a 1/3 co-witness if I want. My FSB is stock.

I have the standard A2 fixed front sight post and use a Magpul Gen 1 MBUS rear. It is cheap and lightweight, and being that it is not the primary sight, and my AR is a range/fun gun, I wanted something both inexpensive and lightweight. Seems to work just fine when using it.

The OP asked for BUIS. Which stands for Back Up Iron Sights. Aren't folding sights NOT iron? just curious

BUIS is now a misnomer with the introduction of sights that are not iron. It is just a generic term, where BUS would be more applicable. Did you really want to argue semantics?

Gun 1 - Magpul mbus back sight and MI hk style front sight. Got the MI cause It was a good option for me on a gas block and I like the hk style. Mbus cause I got it on sale from PSA for like 30 bucks

Gun 2 - Front sight post and mbus rear sight. I use them cause, well, they both came with my upper.

BUIS is now a misnomer with the introduction of sights that are not iron. It is just a generic term, where BUS would be more applicable. Did you really want to argue semantics?

No, just sayin

The term means "fixed sights". If they fold or flip, they are not considered "fixed".

The term certainly does not mean fixed, it means back-up iron sights. If it did I find it quite odd that so many manufactures are labeling there folding sights as back-up iron sights. Maybe you should let them all know they are wrong...

Do you want fixed or folding BUIS?

I am not a fan of fixed rear BUIS but I do like a standard A frame front sight assembly on my ARs. In the event of a primary sight failure it is one less thing to do. It also lets you use the body of the dead optic as a large "Ghost Ring" that you can get pretty good with inside of 10 yards or so with a little practice. (it should be noted that I prefer a lower 1/3rd cowitness over an absolute cowitness an any AR set up for social purposes)

This however is all a non entity as of yet as I have not had any of my Aimpoints die on me. Other than times I have purposely turned it off for training or attended a class where it was Iron Sights only, I stick to the optics.

I have a mix of Troy and Magpul folding rear BUIS. They both work equally well but I have a lot more rounds downrange through the Troy that the Magpul sights.

I recently shot a carbine equipped with Centurian Arms C4 Diopter sights:

https://www.centurionarms.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=115&Itemid=137

Essentially HK MP5 rear sight set up to be used on an AR. If I was going to use a fixed BUIS this is what I would use. Very fast and accurate.

I used a fixed front iron sight and troy DOA rear folding sight.... fixed front sight never bothered me.. and as pointed out it is less to do if the optic fails.. fold down rear to stay out of the way when using the optic.. Troy because they are reliable and sturdy...

No, just sayin

The term means "fixed sights". If they fold or flip, they are not considered "fixed".

Term means "back up iron sights." Not fixed. They can be either folding or fixed, the fact that he mentioned the Magpuls in his OP clearly shows he wanted opinions on folding sights as well.

The term certainly does not mean fixed, it means back-up iron sights. If it did I find it quite odd that so many manufactures are labeling there folding sights as back-up iron sights. Maybe you should let them all know they are wrong...

you know me, i kid i kid

I have a set of Yankee Hill Machine same plane folding iron sights on my AR. They function great, seem to be well made, and don't cost an arm and a leg. If you have a railed gas block (like I have), I'd be very careful using Magpul polymer sights on it.

I've been trying to find a good option to add to my MP15or.. I like the Troys/MI but they're a little expensive.. The MBUS aren't an option (at least the front isn't) due to the railed gas block. Are there any options in between these two?

Diamondheads are my fave :maninlove:

Aside from the obvious price gap, is there REALLY a difference in functionality between Magpul's and the Diamonhead sights? My brother-in law has the Diamondheads with me having Magpul and shooting between the two, I see no difference.

I have seen no advantages to the diamond head type sight picture over a traditional ghost ring sight.

The Magpul offering is excellent for the price and I have them on a few guns. I feel they are adequate as a sight to back up a quality optic like an Aimpoint.

If iron sights were my primary means of aiming or they were backups to an inferior optic and thereby increasing the chance that they will be deployed often and regularly, I would spend more money on a more robust setup and maintain a standard A frame gas block front sight with either a Troy flip-up rear BUIS or the Centurian or LaRue Fixed rear Iron sights.

Depending on the height if the block you may need a front sight built specifically for a railed has block. Some are not tall enough to be mounted there if the gas block's rail is not the same height as the flat top on the upper.