SgtToadette

What BUIS do you use and why?

To clarify some of the semantic issues, I'm specifically looking at folding sights. My AR does not have a fixed front post which I'm totally fine with. Since the theme of my rifle is largely lightweight, I'll likely go with Magpul sights. I do plan to run some type of optic, likely an Aimpoint of some type.

I've been trying to find a good option to add to my MP15or.. I like the Troys/MI but they're a little expensive.. The MBUS aren't an option (at least the front isn't) due to the railed gas block. Are there any options in between these two?

Low profile gas block sights aren't as prolific as the regular height sights. I recommend the MI low profile one - it's not THAT expensive ($80'ish). Or alternately you could get a front gas block riser to raise it to normal height.

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/YHM_Gas_Block_Riser_p/yhm-230.htm

Low profile gas block sights aren't as prolific as the regular height sights. I recommend the MI low profile one - it's not THAT expensive ($80'ish). Or alternately you could get a front gas block riser to raise it to normal height.

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/YHM_Gas_Block_Riser_p/yhm-230.htm

I could be wrong but I thought the gas block rail was level with the rail on the upper.

I could be wrong but I thought the gas block rail was level with the rail on the upper.

nope, I had thought the same thing when I first got into AR's. For example, check out a Stag model 3 (shorter gas block) and a Windham SRC (gas block even with upper) and you'll see the difference. Also keep in mind, if you find a front sight that says its for a gas block, then it is for the shorter gas block, not the one that is level with the upper. In that case you would need a "same plane" front/rear sight combo.

post-5198-0-97444900-1362457112_thumb.gif

post-5198-0-67065300-1362457132_thumb.jpg

If you want flip up: Troy if you plan on using it often. Magpul if you want it as a truly "Oh Crap!" backup. Another option that I have tried and liked is the GG&G MAD sight (Which does have the capability of setting either aperture up as the primary)

If you want fixed: LaRue or C4 Diopter BUIS.

Whatever you choose, avoid ARMS products at all costs.

• Like 1

nope, I had thought the same thing when I first got into AR's. For example, check out a Stag model 3 (shorter gas block) and a Windham SRC (gas block even with upper) and you'll see the difference. Also keep in mind, if you find a front sight that says its for a gas block, then it is for the shorter gas block, not the one that is level with the upper. In that case you would need a "same plane" front/rear sight combo.

Sorry I wasn't more specific. I meant that the M&P-15OR has a railed gas block that is on the same plane as the railed upper. Similar to the Windham above.

I know the arms #

I love my low profile Troy fixed rear

I'll bite, why avoid ARMS products?

I know the arms #41 71 has a problem where when you hit the button to flip up the small aperture is carried forward from its standard position. This is a major pain in the ass if you're using it in a true emergency situation where you have to take your hand out of position flip back the aperture and reset your firing position.

Edited

I used a fixed front iron sight and troy DOA rear folding sight.... fixed front sight never bothered me.. and as pointed out it is less to do if the optic fails.. fold down rear to stay out of the way when using the optic.. Troy because they are reliable and sturdy...

I use this. Exactly same reasoning.

I love my low profile Troy fixed rear

I'll bite, why avoid ARMS products?

A.R.M.S. Mounts: helping terrorists walk away unscathed since 1980!

Seriously, If you find A.R.M.S. is the answer, ask a different question. Their mounts are weak/soft and do not hold zero well. They break often under normal use and are hated by most of the guys out there that are forced to rely on ARMS gear.

Not to mention the fact that, IMO, Dick Swan's business practices leave a lot to be desired.

I have all troys but recently bought some of the poly ARMS with metal inserts and really like them. Still, nothing imho comes close to the Troys as they are well tested, built like tanks and you can drop them from shoulder height and they won't lose their sighting.

i believe that right now, although it seems like i change my mind every day, that on my new build i will be going with a yankee hill railed gas block (low, height NOT to match upper) and troy folding sights, front gas-block height and rear..well, standard height.  i like the idea of fold-down sights that tuck below optics and get out of the way while being transported, plus i was never a huge fan of the fixed "triangle" F type front sight base - just looks dated although i understand the functionality.

troys are pricey, maybe...but you get what you pay for, correct?  people seems to complain that midwest industries sights, especially their rears...loosen up with little firing.  so for a little more dough, i think the troys are the way to go.  i've shot other ARs with them and well...they work, i'm not sure how much you can ask from buis other than they stay true and don't fall off under fire.

So despite having asked this question over a year ago, I figured I'd update. Finally purchased a set of LWRC Skirmish sights and I'm quite happy with them. I'll post pictures within a day or two. Really solid and much better sight picture than the MBUS sights they replaced.

I will speak hearsay, as I don't know if this is true or not. I asked a friend who likes magpul, and is far more experienced than myself about the plastic magpul BUIS because I saw them on sale. He said that in his experience, they don't hold a zero, and that it's best to go with Magpul's metal BUIS.

I trust his opinion, but your mileage may vary.

Oh, and if it makes any difference, when I got some HK style sights, he was critical of that decision. So I have no clue haha.

I'm a fan if the MBUS and I use them.

All of the ones mentioned in the thread are solid options and all can be prone to failure if dropped.

Andrew of Vuurwapen Blog did a review of popular BUIS after a drop test directly onto the sight when mounted. http://kitup.military.com/2012/07/back-up-iron-sight-drop-test.html

It all ends with what you prefer the look and price of when we are talking about first rate manufacturers.