OnefastNotch

I'm moving to another town, I have FID card questions

Well I'm moving from my hometown to a few towns over. How hard is it to get a new FID card from my new town? Do they just issue me a new one or are they going to try to run another backround check now. I want to at least have some info before I call/ go so I don't go in blind.

thats crazy, I can just fill out a change of address form online for nj DMV and they mail me a sticker to put on the back of my license but a FID card I have to go through it all over.

Welcome to the People's Republic of New Jersey ;)

I am currently in the process of doing a change of address through the NJSP, since I don't have a local PD. Submitted my paperwork along with the $18 money order on 12/18/12 and still waiting. 75 days so far- not that I am counting or anything.

OK, how does this work. Is your current ID null and void since you have moved? Does this mean you may no longer purchase Ammo until you get the new card, or can you continue to use your old one while the papers are being processed?

Technically you can't purchase ammunition that can be used in a handgun without the FID, but you can still purchase shotgun and rifle ammo.

You should still be able to purchase handgun ammo because most places only look at FID and not DL, at least that has been my expereince.

I just submitted my change of address paperwork Friday afternoon and as dtown223 suggested its a perfect opportunity for a few new P2P.

I didn't even give the local PD a chance to ask for my existing FID, knew what I needed and handed then a folder with the paperwork. Since the DMV change is just a sticker on the back of my license I doubt anyone will even notice it if I buy ammo with my current FID and license in the interim.

If you're concerned about the PD asking for your current card when you put in the paperwork Id say it sure would suck if it were "lost during the move".

last time we changed addresses, we just got a sticker to put on the back of the DL until renewal came up and then you have to get a new DL. They did not punch a hole in the DL simply for a new address (in fact, it was done online and sent through the mail - the stickers). once you get a new DL, then they may punch a hole in the old one.. but i would hold off on doing that until its actually up for renewal (or until you get your new FID)

And to expedite receiving your duplicate FID for change of address, be sure your local police department issuer reads this:

2C:58-3. a. Permit to purchase a handgun.

f. Granting of permit or identification card; fee; term; renewal; revocation. The application for the permit to purchase a handgun together with a fee of $2, or the application for the firearms purchaser identification card together with a fee of $5, shall be delivered or forwarded to the licensing authority who shall investigate the same and, unless good cause for the denial thereof appears, shall grant the permit or the identification card, or both, if application has been made therefor, within 30 days from the date of receipt of the application for residents of this State and within 45 days for nonresident applicants. A permit to purchase a handgun shall be valid for a period of 90 days from the date of issuance and may be renewed by the issuing authority for good cause for an additional 90 days.