Nickjc

SHOTGUN - Reloading

21 posts in this topic

Anyone still do this?

I have a single stage that I used to use just to roll out some small game ammo etc...

However, I am toying with the idea of a progressive for informal gaming rounds....trap and clays...

The cost of shot is out of control nowadays...46$ per 25lb...that is only around 14 boxes of number 7 at 1 -1/8 oz.. almost $3.46 box based on shot weight alone...

Is there a source that I am not as yet aware of in NJ for shot REASONABLY priced?

So far it does not seem to be very economical in terms of savings for 12G....

thoughts?

I find that buying the remmy gun club by the case at dicks is the cheapest way to go.

Solomans in Farmingdale has reclaimed lead shot thats a good deal cheaper. Can't give you exact prices though.

Thanks.....I have looked at reclaimed shot...but they say it is a hit and miss....gotta get there and check it out....

Reloading shotgun becomes more worth it as you move on to less popular gauges. For 16 gauge and 28 gauge, it is definitely worth it. For 12 gauge right now the savings is pretty small if you buy Remmy Gun Club and similar in bulk. It is also worth it if you are an advanced clay shooter and want to develop a trap/skeet/sporting clays load suited for your particular gun.

Reloading shotgun becomes more worth it as you move on to less popular gauges. For 16 gauge and 28 gauge, it is definitely worth it. For 12 gauge right now the savings is pretty small if you buy Remmy Gun Club and similar in bulk. It is also worth it if you are an advanced clay shooter and want to develop a trap/skeet/sporting clays load suited for your particular gun.

Agreed....soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...................................... how about that Beretta :)

You're correct, the cost of components has skyrocketed. What used to be an economical alternative has changed. I was paying about $10 less/25# bag from a supplier up in NY, but his supply was always dwindling. I haven't checked lately what he's selling for today. I like reloading the oddball stuff like light field loads for all gauges, turkey loads and buckshot that I cannot find from manufacturers that I'm not willing to pay and arm and a leg for. So, it is still worthwhile for me and I actually enjoy it.

Agreed....soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...................................... how about that Beretta :)

It's still waiting for a good home. Thanks for reminding me. I will update the listing.

Well I was just looking for an alternative as I just realized how much fun it is to see little orange discs goo 'poof'.........

So now I need to scrounge and find reasonable 12g ammo..in quantity.... :)

Well I was just looking for an alternative as I just realized how much fun it is to see little orange discs goo 'poof'.........

So now I need to scrounge and find reasonable 12g ammo..in quantity.... :)

I like to do things the opposite for some reason, so take my advice for what it's worth...

Remember, choke for smoke. Having a nice tight choke will let you know whether you are catching bird edges or hitting 'em dead on. Once you know that you're hitting them hard (because they literally vanish, as opposed to breaking into pieces), then you can ease up a little on the choke to catch ones you might've missed otherwise. I find a lot of folks are told to start out with a open pattern so they are not frustrated by the misses when they first start shooting at clay birds. This does let them hit more birds, but it can also reinforce bad pointing habits.

I like to do things the opposite for some reason, so take my advice for what it's worth...

Remember, choke for smoke. Having a nice tight choke will let you know whether you are catching bird edges or hitting 'em dead on. Once you know that you're hitting them hard (because they literally vanish, as opposed to breaking into pieces), then you can ease up a little on the choke to catch ones you might've missed otherwise. I find a lot of folks are told to start out with a open pattern so they are not frustrated by the misses when they first start shooting at clay birds. This does let them hit more birds, but it can also reinforce bad pointing habits.

Yep.... makes sense....looking for the updated listing.... ;)

I reload a lot of 12 ga...a lot...over 12,000 rounds per year. My son and I shoot sporting clays weekly and we go through about a 1000 rounds a month. My cost per box averages between 4.05 and 4.15 per box. I buy my components in central PA, it's about a 2 hour ride, but I buy in quantity, pay cash and get a nice discount for doing both of those. I paid 34 per bag of 7 1/2 shot about 3 weeks ago. Win 209 primers cost me 32 per thousand. 8 pounds of Universal was 120.

While I agree you can get gun clubs for a price close enough to reloaded costs, I do it as a hobby that I enjoy. So the saving are small but the fun is big.

I reload a lot of 12 ga...a lot...over 12,000 rounds per year. My son and I shoot sporting clays weekly and we go through about a 1000 rounds a month. My cost per box averages between 4.05 and 4.15 per box. I buy my components in central PA, it's about a 2 hour ride, but I buy in quantity, pay cash and get a nice discount for doing both of those. I paid 34 per bag of 7 1/2 shot about 3 weeks ago. Win 209 primers cost me 32 per thousand. 8 pounds of Universal was 120.

While I agree you can get gun clubs for a price close enough to reloaded costs, I do it as a hobby that I enjoy. So the saving are small but the fun is big.

I am jealous. I would love to be able to do Sporting Clays more often than I do now.

Hey Cowboy,

If they will give you a better buy for a larger order I'd be willing to go in with you the next time you make that trip.

If you wouldn't mine, I'd pay your fuel ride as well.

Let me know.. I'm good now, bought some reclaimed shot but I won't shot it though my K-80. I'm using my others.

I'm starting to miss it.

I'm good for about 15k rounds in all.

Thanks

Vince

I buy my components in central PA, it's about a 2 hour ride, but I buy in quantity, pay cash and get a nice discount for doing both of those.

CAC???

I load my shotgun too -- But I do it a little different -- 20 gauge gets 5/8ths of and ounce of #8.5 shot -- 12 gauge gets 3/4 of an ounce of #8.5 shot

We don't do anything formal -- just throw your own -- but my son and I usually shoot 250 rounds each per session -- started him at age 11 -- he just turned 13

Sonnylee, I was going to suggest that, and I'm more than happy to do it for a few of the guys here on the forums. I'll keep you posted I should be making a trip in the next few weeks. The more the merrier and I'll talk to them about a bigger discount for a larger order. I'm happy with the prices now but if we can save an additional buck per bag or brick of primers, I'm all for it.

Sonnylee, I was going to suggest that, and I'm more than happy to do it for a few of the guys here on the forums. I'll keep you posted I should be making a trip in the next few weeks. The more the merrier and I'll talk to them about a bigger discount for a larger order. I'm happy with the prices now but if we can save an additional buck per bag or brick of primers, I'm all for it.

Ok Cowboy, thanks when your ready send me a PM.. I really appreciate it.

CAC???

I load my shotgun too -- But I do it a little different -- 20 gauge gets 5/8ths of and ounce of #8.5 shot -- 12 gauge gets 3/4 of an ounce of #8.5 shot

We don't do anything formal -- just throw your own -- but my son and I usually shoot 250 rounds each per session -- started him at age 11 -- he just turned 13

Heavyopp,

What load data are you using for the 5/8 ounce? Alliant and hodgdons don't show 5/8 ounce loads. 20 gauge..

Heavyopp,

What load data are you using for the 5/8 ounce? Alliant and hodgdons don't show 5/8 ounce loads. 20 gauge..

Got the load data from Shotgun world -- I'm sure it's not published -- It's actually been pressure tested and submitted to alliant

I don't remember exactly what it is at the moment -- but it's using a claybuster 3/4 ounce wad over Promo -- I know, I know -- the lawyers say promo doesn't work in 20 gauge

I've tested it a few thousand times -- It's a great load and I have no worries about letting my son shoot it -- I don't remember the specifics at the moment and I don't want to post wrong info so it will have to wait