Cowboy6373

UPS Store will NOT ship firearms or loaded ammo!!

I was just at the local UPS store in Flemington to ship a firearm that I sold on Gunbroker and was informed that they no longer ship firearms other than antiques and they no longer ship loaded ammunition!! An antique as defined by UPS is a gun manufactured prior to 1898!! The manager showed me the email memo she received from UPS headquarters that details the new rule. This even applies dealer to dealer.

I've always had issues with UPS, but now, we must come together as a group and do something about it. Use any other form of delivery. Write to them, as I am doing. Blog it everywhere you can and to all those who support the 2nd Amendment. If they don't want to support us, let's not support them. We need to get this message out quickly, and to as many people as possible. If you have any of their stock, sell it!! I hate to have my emotions get ahead of me, but boy am I pissed off.

Humm, I shipped out a handgun 2 weeks ago at my UPS store. The counter guy (the owner) asked what was in the package and I told him it was a handgun. No problemo.

Loaded ammo on the other hand has to be shipped out a UPS hub. The UPS store will not ship that. When shipping loaded ammo you must have a OMD label on it. I downloaded some pictures of OMD labels online and taped them to the box after printing.

Do you have to tell them what's in the box?

Let's play hypothetical here - assume you lie and don't tell the UPS store that you're shipping a firearm when you actually are.

Buyer/FFL never receives the firearm - package lost - tracking information ends somewhere in the bowels of UPS's system.

Now what do you do?

Yes, you must declare and have no indication on the outside of the package what it contains. UPS stores (most of which are franchise operations) are not allowed to accept firearms for shipping. You must take them to a UPS Hub. Done it many times.

Adios,

PIzza Bob

Let's play hypothetical here - assume you lie and don't tell the UPS store that you're shipping a firearm when you actually are.

Buyer/FFL never receives the firearm - package lost - tracking information ends somewhere in the bowels of UPS's system.

Now what do you do?

lol

UPS Stores never were authorized to accept firearms according to corporate. If they were doing it already it was by accident. You can still use UPS to ship a firearm, but the UPS Stores is not where you drop it off at.

http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/ship/packaging/guidelines/firearms.html

"Note: Firearms (including handguns) are not accepted for shipment via UPS Drop Boxes, UPS On-Call PickupSM, or at locations of The UPS Store® or any third party retailer."

They just received the email this morning. If I went yesterday it would have been no problem. I went over to Staples and they had no problem taking it, and I even declared it was an unloaded firearm. The Staples in Flemington acts as a Ground shipping hub from what I understand and saved me a trip to Bound Brook. So this new issue is only in the UPS Stores. That said, the email to the UPS Stores was directly from UPS Corporate Headquarters.

I am not aware of UPS stores or other shipping outlets allowing shipments of firearms. As an FFL I always use a hub location and the package is always declared as a firearm. UPS ships a firearm under a different set of rules and standards. First of all the package is never left unattended unless it is locked in a special holding area, cage or shipping container properly sealed. Regarding not declaring the package see requirements below. You probably don't want to ship out of state to anyone other than a federal license holder and don't try to ship it without declaring it's contents.

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]

I just meant if they ask you: What are you shipping? Are we obligated by any type of regulation to tell them?

I'm asking outside of just firearms and not just the UPS store. If the person behind the counter whether it's

FedEx, USPS, UPS asks what you are shipping do you have to declare (firearm/ammo or other)?

Anyone know more about this?

I am not sure what part you are unclear about. If isn't up to the carrier to ask you what you are shipping, your obligated under federal law to tell them you are shipping a firearm. Why should they have to ask you?

Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm

I just meant if they ask you: What are you shipping? Are we obligated by any type of regulation to tell them?

I'm asking outside of just firearms and not just the UPS store. If the person behind the counter whether it's

FedEx, USPS, UPS asks what you are shipping do you have to declare (firearm/ammo or other)?

Anyone know more about this?

I can't say for UPS, but for the United States Postal Service you will be charged with a crime if you ship an undeclared firearm or ammo (all ammo is prohibited with USPS) and are caught..

Interesting. So I guess the gang members in state "XYZ" are concerned with this and don't just put guns in the US mail or UPS drop box to send to their gang affiliates in NJ ? :D

UPS Stores never were authorized to accept firearms according to corporate. If they were doing it already it was by accident. You can still use UPS to ship a firearm, but the UPS Stores is not where you drop it off at.

http://www.ups.com/c...s/firearms.html

"Note: Firearms (including handguns) are not accepted for shipment via UPS Drop Boxes, UPS On-Call PickupSM, or at locations of The UPS Store® or any third party retailer."

In reading the UPS page listed above am I reading it correctly that all guns must be shipped by air? Why would that be?

In reading the UPS page listed above am I reading it correctly that all guns must be shipped by air? Why would that be?

They want it in their system the least amount of time, thus less exposure to potential theft.

Only handguns need to go air (and I believe it is next day), rifles can go ground.

Ammo has to have an OMD sticker on it. You can get it off the net and print it. (also max weight per box is 66lbs.)

NOTE: Shipped some ammo from the UPS Center in Bound Brook (+1 for the guy behind the counter for customer service).

The guy there said they will be changing the OMD label soon sut does not have a copy of it or a time line.

I have also in the past shipped my shotgun as parts 1/2 in one box and 1/2 in another at local UPS operations, but it looks like it might be changing.

Inconvient yes, (Bound Brook is 20 miles from me) something to get all bent out of shape from? No.

I shipped 3 cases of Ammo and and a rifle from the Lakewood Hub on Friday with no issues all sent ground.

If useing the USPS then go priority for rifles, typically its not questions asked. I know the owner of a UPS store

pretty well in Brick I asked him a few months ago about shipping ammo and rifles. He personally has no issues with

it but said they cannot per Policy ansd directed me to the Hub.