iRONman

Safest way to protect your child

Not a ridiculously terrible article

I mean, they're correct that it's easier not to be accidentally shot by a parents gun---if the parent doesn't own a gun.

Thanks geniuses

As far as the "magnetic safety device"?

I'm not sure what that is either.

+1 man,,, no kids for me...

Both my wives and myself have been called everything from selfish to blasphemous for not wanting children,but some of those very same people are now jealous of our unfettered lifestyle but that's a topic for another time.I take pains to assure my firearms are secure and out of reach on the rare occasions we do have young visitors to the house. It also puts their parents at ease to enjoy themselves without worrying that their kids may get hold of something potentially hazardous..

i dont know how its selfish to know you dont want children to be honest. there are enough homeless and other children in the world that need homes, why should people who DON'T want them be pressured into having them, and risk having them become another "in the system" child? i think many of the people who DO have them should NOT have them because they dont/didnt want them and they are just ruining the child's life by being a poor (or absent) parent.. but as you said, thats a conversation for another time.. lol

as with you, whenever we have any children (nieces & nephews) coming to the house, the gun(s) get put away in an unreachable place and unloaded and the ammo is kept in a separate unreachable spot.. since this only happens once or twice per year, having a gun safe isnt necessary just yet (we currently only have a 38 spl snubbie, but will be getting a couple more soon, maybe then i will invest in a safe)

I don't have kids because I KNOW I am selfish. I like to do what I want, when I want and how I want. If you do that, and have kids, you are a douche. If I had kids, I would not be able to do that and would be unhappy and maybe resent the kids. So I made the decision to not have them. I know I would be a great dad, but I also know I would be incredibly unhappy.

I have been lucky that this decision has had no affect on my relationships. My Fiancee has less than no desire to have kids. And she shoots. And Rides Motorcycles. And is in the same field as I am and understands the demands. And she is 10 years younger than me....... Man I gotta give her flowers today.

Wow, can you say completely made up or out of date statistics? Like I said in another thread, for the low but reputable numbers, it's 32% individual ownership and 48% household ownership and that is 2010 data IIRC.

Gallup from 2011 has it at 47% individual ownership and 55% household ownership.

Maybe they have some magic stat about households with a gun AND with children, but I doubt it.

Also one of the top 3 causes of death for a child? Well lets see deaths for 2011 are preliminary in cdc stats, but the bands are <1yr, 1-4, 5-14, and 15-24. the two biggest segments are <1yr which is 23,910 deaths, and 15-24 which is 29,624 (63147 is the total 0-24) That's WAY, WAY more than accidental gun deaths. accidental discharge of firearms is 856 for the entire population regardless of age.

The ONLY way accidental firearms deaths get into #3 is that you count suicide as accidental death, and even then, the numbers really are small untill you include the 15-24 block. #1 for kids across the board are MV accidents. #2 is all other accidents combined (inlcuding firearms). For children under 15, suicide and accidental firearms deaths (even if you said all 856 were people under 15), would probably fall around position 5 for 0-4 and 4 for 0-14. The reality is that the 856 are distributed more widely than that.

Then the advice. What is this piece of metal affixed to the gun? Are they talking about a trigger lock? then jsut say that. I know a lot about guns and odd products and have no idea what they are talking about if it isn't a trigger lock short of welding on the sucker until it is broken. Second, the magnet thing doesn't exist. S&W holds the patent and you can't go out and buy one. It worked like dookie, and they saw no point in opening themselves up to liability when it fails. So basically safe storage, and educate your kids. No duh.

Not a ridiculously terrible article

I mean, they're correct that it's easier not to be accidentally shot by a parents gun---if the parent doesn't own a gun.

Then number of "kids" (age o to 25 years) killed in firearm accidents each year in the US ranges from around 10 to 200. The number of children that drown in pools is around 4,000. Their priorities are way out of whack. Firearms shouldn't even be worthy of a mention.

Well, they are technically correct. An unloaded gun will never kill anyone. Although there is a difference between an unloaded gun and "I swear it was unloaded!!!" The former has killed nobody. The latter has killed plenty.

I've always said that if you have a gun and a kid, you need a safe. End of story.

I have no problem with people who prefer to keep their guns locked up and unloaded. My problem is when the government tells people to keep their guns locked up and unloaded.

And they did point out that you should talk to your kid and tell them to never, ever touch a firearm.

Then number of "kids" (age o to 25 years) killed in firearm accidents each year in the US ranges from around 10 to 200. The number of children that drown in pools is around 4,000. Their priorities are way out of whack. Firearms shouldn't even be worthy of a mention.

What I was going for was, the logic seems to be "you won't get bitten by a shark if your climbing a tree"

type of thing..

At least it didn't have a section of the article on the best way to turn your gun owning neighbors in to the police.

Which is sad, now that I think about it, that I consider that "good"

the magnet does exist or it did properly was called the magna trigger ,in the late 70s .

i think you would have a powerfull magnet in a ring and it deactivated a saftey of sorts some writters in the 80s said if you had such a gun you should have the rings on both hands I never saw one or knew of any but I read about them several times in the late 80s early 90s when I read every magazine with a gun on the cover.talmhelm supply made it and called it the magna trigger conversion

After reading some of your posts, I have been trying to stuff my kids back in, needless to say, they will be scarred for life in more ways than one.

I would have soooo much money and soooo many awesome hobbies without kids:

Master Carpenter, Professional Wrestler, Farmer, Semi-Professional Jai Lai player, Vegas Bookmaker, Semi Pro whittler, Gentlemen's club ice cube boy, Tattooed freak, Master gunsmith (of course), Master electrician, Ironman triathlon winner (2001 to 2007), Blue ribbon pig farmer, Independent film maker, Mechanic, Welder, Westminster Dog Show participant (as an owner, trainer and as the entry- standard poodle), Hells angel, Hells angle, etc...

Just trying to have a little fun with y'all.

Never understood the whole "selfish" thing if someone chooses not to have kids. I find that a repulsive, ignorant statement.

If you judge someone based on their decision to not have kids you are in fact a judgmental douche.

So what if someone is not ready to have a kid for whatever reason? They don't feel they would give that child their best?

That's selfish? I actually thing that is being thoughtful and having a bit of foresight.

And in my not so humble opinion parents are actually selfish. The act of having children can become the most selfish, self

centered act. Some people have kids and then expect those kids to be EXACTLY like themselves. They want them to wear

what THEY want them to wear and become what THEY want them to become. It's like third party narcissism. It's sickening.

And above all it's SELFISH!

BTW I have two boys. Can't stand it when parents tell couples with no kids to have kids. Like they're life is incomplete and

they are missing out. I love my kids, but it's a personal decision.

Off topic rant over.

the magnet does exist or it did properly was called the magna trigger ,in the late 70s .

i think you would have a powerfull magnet in a ring and it deactivated a saftey of sorts some writters in the 80s said if you had such a gun you should have the rings on both hands

I remember this concept back before I got "into" guns. This actually sounds like one of those ideas that could work for law enforcement. Give police officer two rings and the bad guy will never be able to use a cop's gun against him.

The only problem is that I wouldn't want to be that 1 in 1,000,000 police officer who just got shot in the hand like Galentine in Black Hawk Down and now I'm going to die because my gun is rendered useless and my ring is somewhere on the ground in the dark.