Joe Danger

Remington 700 trigger issue?

So this happened about 30 minutes ago. I took out my Remington 700 ADL (308) for a cleaning. As I was cycling the dummy snap cap rounds out of the magazine when the gun fired with the safety on.

First off I'm glad I never keep live ammunition in the weapon.

Secondly, I'm glad I NEVER keep live ammunition in the weapon.

Well I guess I should check the sear. Or just buy a timney or rifle basic trigger.

Any thoughts?

You could contact Remington and have them look at it. I don't know what year your 700 is for they have a few variations of their trigger.

http://www.remington...model-40-X.aspx

And for those who feel confident in doing their own work for problem resolution:

http://www.quarterbo...700trigger.html

If you have Netflix, there was a whole special Msnbc ( I believe) made about this issue. Numerous lawsuits, lots of problems. The designer of the gun pleaded his supervisors to change the design back in I think the 1950s, but the nominal price increase was their reason to turn him down. He's interviewed in the special. A few deaths were supposedly caused by this issue, and has been recorded by police departments and the military.

I remember when I bought the rifle it didnt have the x mark trigger.

As far as the Netflix movie. I just watched it tonight. Had no clue that it had possible issues like that.

Well I gave the whole action a thorough cleaning and then tried to replicate te misfire. Wasn't able too.

I'm thinking it was just a one and done thing. Good thing I practice responsible fire arm safety or something bad could have happened.

I do think I am going to get a timney trigger though. It would be nice to have something adjustable since my current trigger is at around 7 lbs on the pull.

I thought I saw a video that completely "debunked" the Remington 700 unintentional firing issue?

They did some research and showed that in every single case, the problem either couldn't be duplicated, or that the rifle had been "worked on" by unqualified individuals.

Either way....call Remington and they'll probably send you a shipping label so you can send it back and have them check it out.

I've got my X-Mark pro (2012 model) backed all the way out and haven't had a problem.

7 pounds?!?! That's insane. I haven't checked mine with a scale, but I'm guessing my X-Mark backed all the way out is around 3 pounds and I hate it.

EDIT: I found the video in another thread here...(Not sure how to embed on this site)