SlipperyPete

22lr conversion kits - worth it or not?

Being a noob, and like many, waiting on my FID and P2P's, I wanted to focus my attention on something other than becoming more and more frustrated with all of the attacks against the 2nd Amendment, and waiting from day to day, hoping to get that call that my ID's and cards are ready.

Once i am able to purchase my first firearm, I. have a pistol waiting for me. There is a 22lr practice kit made for the firearm. Just wondering if it is worth getting one or it is better to just buy a 22 lr pistol? I understand the more you use a firearm the more things wear, but it seems logical to go with the conversion kit so I can become more comfortable with the one pistol, rather then 2 at the same time.

My original plan was to get 2 handguns, one being a 22. My thought was, it is a less expensive way to shoot, and develop my skills. I wanted a 22 that sights in and functions as similar to my other pistol as possible. I did not want something totally different like a mark III or Browning. I guess I should mention that the pistol i have waiting for me is a Beretta 92fs m9a1.

I appreciate all the feedback.

The other advantage of getting a conversion is you get two guns in one and don't have to "spend" a P2P to get one. That also means you don't have to wait a month under the OGAM crap.

I prefer the pistols intended as 22lr. They may not have as much to offer from a "train with what you carry" perspective, but they are more fun to shoot, IMO. I love my Browning Buckmark. My wife likes it so much, she claims it's hers now.

I prefer the pistols intended as 22lr. They may not have as much to offer from a "train with what you carry" perspective, but they are more fun to shoot, IMO. I love my Browning Buckmark. My wife likes it so much, she claims it's hers now.

I lost my .357 that way....... =(

As you can see there are mixed opinions on the subject.

I've got the practice kit for my Beretta 92FS, and will use it for practice, but also as a dedicated firearm for static steel. I've gotten to the point where I'm considering picking up another 92 so I can mount the kit permanently and have an extra slide and barrel for in 9mm.

There are some guns where you can get the same frame in center fire and 22, the M&P series being a good example. It requires the purchase of 2 different guns, but it's nice to be able to use the same holster and have the same, or similar, ergonomics on the different firearms.

With that said, some of the dedicated 22lr's, like the Browning Buckmark, are sweet, and make excellent dedicated 22's. One day I'll get one with the rosewood grips.

I agree the buckmark is pretty sweet, and so are some of the others out there. I wonder if Beretta has any plans in a 92 frame standard with the 22 lr? I kind of expected mixed thoughts, and i appreciate all perspectives.

With the 22 round being as dirty as it is, have you had any cleaning issues or any other wear issues using the practice kit? How easy us it to swap out the slide etc, and is it easy enough to do it at the range?

With that said, some of the dedicated 22lr's, like the Browning Buckmark, are sweet, and make excellent dedicated 22's. One day I'll get one with the rosewood grips.

That is the exact one I own, but lost to the wife. I should've bought an ugly gun if I wanted to keep it.

With the 22 round being as dirty as it is, have you had any cleaning issues or any other wear issues using the practice kit? How easy us it to swap out the slide etc, and is it easy enough to do it at the range?

No cleaning issues at all, and as far as ease of swapping out the slide, I can literally do it with my eyes closed in under 10 seconds. The Beretta is very easy to take down.

The only issue I have is there is a very small area where the guide rod sits, and if you nudge it while in the process of swapping the slide the spring will go boing, and when it goes boing it really flies. I do it at the range all the time, but on the rare occasion when I'm shooting indoors I'm extra careful to make sure the spring doesn't escape and go down past the fireing line. That's really my only complaint, that the guide rod doesn't have an ample area to seat. Otherwise I'm very happy with it.

I got mine used on the Beretta forum for $325, and then I picked up some extra magazines, which are expensive.

There is no dispute that you can find a dedicated 22 for the same money, more or less, depending on what you get.

The M&P 22 that my son shoots runs in the low $300's, and the last time I checked Buckmarks were north of a half a yard.

It really depends on what you are looking to accomplish and the type of shooting you do. For me, the practice kit has been a very good option. If/when I get my PX4 we'll see what happens, but for now while I'm shooting the 92 in USPSA, the practice kit is invaluable.

i bought the sig p226 22lr,then bought the 9mm conversion kit. Price for both was the same as buying a p226 9mm. They claim its the same frame.

This is EXACTLY what I'm doing. Have it payed for just waiting on %*#ing permits! (since beginning of Jan) I asked the dealer why getting the 22lr and then the X-Change kit was cheaper than getting just the 9mm? His response was "I have no clue"? I asked him why doesn't everyone go this route? He said "most folks don't know about it"

I did lots of research and have found nothing to state that the frame of the 22lr classic is NOT the same as the 9mm, 40, and 357

4 guns for 1 permit......can't loose

This is EXACTLY what I'm doing. Have it payed for just waiting on %*#ing permits! (since beginning of Jan) I asked the dealer why getting the 22lr and then the X-Change kit was cheaper than getting just the 9mm? His response was "I have no clue"? I asked him why doesn't everyone go this route? He said "most folks don't know about it"

I did lots of research and have found nothing to state that the frame of the 22lr classic is NOT the same as the 9mm, 40, and 357

Hey, that is good news for you then.

I have a Buckmark, a 1911 .22 conversion (the Nighthawk from Marvel) and a p226 22 conversion. My thoughts on each, YMMV -

Buckmark - My first .22 handgun. With a 5.5" fixed barrel a real shooter. Performed the "Heggis flip" on the sear spring and the trigger is 2.5 lbs. Added HiViz fiber optic. Eats most any .22 ammo. Love how the gun shoots, never enthralled by the overall "look" of the fixed barrel look of it. Cleaning is not the easiest. Not hard, but a few more steps to take the barrel apart and the internals are more difficult to take apart if you want to clean it down to the frame.

p226 Conversion - Followed the same route posted above, bought the .22 and added the slide in a higher caliber. Needs to be oiled to run consistently. Doesn't lock back on the last round (although you can get upgrades from sigpower). Shoots well enough, but not like the buckmark. Sig is much easier (IMO) to take down to the frame for a full cleaning. My least favorite of the 3 I have shot, not as smooth feeling. The most felt recoil of my .22 handguns (although obviously not a lot).

1911 conversion - My favorite. Basically mounts up to the frame and becomes a fixed 5" .22 barrel. At least as accurate as my Buckmark. Easy to take down and clean with the ease of 1911 take down to the frame. The most picky on ammo but once you find what it likes to eat (mine likes CCI), it runs great. Seems like it's got the typical 1911 traits of it sometimes needing a bit to get it running then its good to go. I think blowing a kiss has more felt recoil than this does.

The 1911 conversion isn't going anywhere. That's a keeper. It shoots great, easy to take care of. For someone with experience on the 1911 platform, I would say look no further. If all you have is a Sig and don't want to buy another gun, the conversion is fine...but there are much better options out there. I have mine mostly for my son to shoot as with the E2 grips and the short trigger, this has the shortest LOP (once in SA) for his smaller hands. If buying another gun is an option, you can't go wrong with the Buckmark as long as you don't mind a little extra cleaning time. For the casual shooter that isn't going to put 500 rounds a week through it, I don't think you can go wrong with the Buckmark. I have heard similar good stories about the Ruger, but I prefer the feel and looks of the Buckmark. YMMV.

No cleaning issues at all, and as far as ease of swapping out the slide, I can literally do it with my eyes closed in under 10 seconds. The Beretta is very easy to take

I agree with ease of swapping but disagree with the cleaning.

I had the 22 kit for a beretta 92 and it got the internals of my gun filthy. That 22 grit was everywhere. It was all down in the trigger area. I had to take it apart and run it in my ultrasonic cleaner.

I dont remember what company it was but Im sure I remember seeing someone that makes a 92 clone in 22lr. Lemme see if I can find it.

ETA: Found it http://www.chiappafirearms.com/product/2462 Not sure of the quality of it so I would do alot of research on it.

Edited by alowerlevel

Buckmark - My first .22 handgun. With a 5.5" fixed barrel a real shooter. Performed the "Hegis flip" on the sear spring and the trigger is 2.5 lbs.

+1 on the Heggis flip. Can't beat a 3 lb trigger. As for cleaning, I will take a Buckmark over a Ruger any day. Ruger 22 pistols are a pain to clean because the disassembly is a pain (even with the trick).

And this is how I got my P229. Bought the Classic in .22lr, bought the x-Change kit in .40S&W and the .357 Sig barrel. 3 calibers, one frame (and trigger) - 1 permit, and all for the price of a 229 in .40. The .22 slide and barrel are in the x-change kit box unfired. The .40 is too much fun.

And this is how I got my P229. Bought the Classic in .22lr, bought the x-Change kit in .40S&W and the .357 Sig barrel. 3 calibers, one frame (and trigger) - 1 permit, and all for the price of a 229 in .40. The .22 slide and barrel are in the x-change kit box unfired. The .40 is too much fun.

Nice, I'm going nuts waiting for these permits...applied first week of Jan.......previously, I don't think I even waited 30 days for permits....just sux right now to be a "jerseyan".... I have my sights on a Smith and Wesson Sheild in 9mm for my other permit.........

Being a noob, and like many, waiting on my FID and P2P's, I wanted to focus my attention on something other than becoming more and more frustrated with all of the attacks against the 2nd Amendment, and waiting from day to day, hoping to get that call that my ID's and cards are ready.

Once i am able to purchase my first firearm, I. have a pistol waiting for me. There is a 22lr practice kit made for the firearm. Just wondering if it is worth getting one or it is better to just buy a 22 lr pistol? I understand the more you use a firearm the more things wear, but it seems logical to go with the conversion kit so I can become more comfortable with the one pistol, rather then 2 at the same time.

My original plan was to get 2 handguns, one being a 22. My thought was, it is a less expensive way to shoot, and develop my skills. I wanted a 22 that sights in and functions as similar to my other pistol as possible. I did not want something totally different like a mark III or Browning. I guess I should mention that the pistol i have waiting for me is a Beretta 92fs m9a1.

I appreciate all the feedback.

I bought a .22 conversion kit for my Sig P226. I had competition trigger work done to my Sig so I wanted to be able to practice with the same firearm/trigger using .22 LR. If I had a separate .22 firearm I wouldn't be able to.

As to whether they are worth it, really comes down to how much you think you'll use it. Particularly with the current ammunition shortages I am shooting almost exclusively at the range and saving my 9mm for IDPA and formal training classes.

hth

TheWombat