Sign in to follow this  
MosinRob

How tight is too tight?

How well does your .643 pattern with specialty turkey loads @ 40 yds.? For starters, your choke tube should be placing all or at least 90% of the 2 1/4 oz. of pellets inside a 30" circle at 40 yds. From there, you need at least half-a-dozen pellets in the head/neck area of a turkey for a clean kill. Once you've established what range your patterns place that needed number of pellets in the small area of the head/neck of a turkey, you'll know what's best to use and what range not to exceed. (Practice on those turkey head targets.) All loads pattern differently. You'll find that weight of the payload as well as the size of the pellets you are shooting vary in pattern results. Here's a hint: if the pellets are more on the fringe of the 30" circle and not centered in the core, your choke constriction may be too tight and could be constricting that lead too much. An evenly dense pattern is better than one that's too tight in some areas but has patches in other areas.

The tightest choke I've used is .660, and I've also taken birds with a .687 and .690 choke, shooting #5's or 4x6 Duplex loads. I've used 2 oz. and 1 7/8 oz. loads mostly but have gone as light as 1 5/8 oz. Test as many different loads as you can afford with your tube.