TheLugNutZ

Sick of sitting behind a desk all day/sales

So I guess I am here to vent to some like-minded people and hopefully hear some other people's experiences... You can send me the bill when i'm done lol hopefully everyone takes credit!

I know I am not the only one that ever felt like this. & Sorry for the rant in advance!

I have been working in an office for almost 10 years now and I am only 27 years old. I have basically worked in an office since High School. Shortly after getting my divers license I worked for a valet company and eventually rose through the ranks to upper management. I was at that company for 4+ years and left as the general/day-to-day operations and HR manager.

I have been with my current employer for over 5 years as an insurance agent. I am now also the office and sales manager of the agency. I make average money (over 50k but less than 75k) but have GREAT job security as we are a small agency and aside from being the senior sales person, I am the lead business producer. Job security has always been very high on the list of importance for me, but I need to eventually take some risk and consider moving on..

It shouldnt be that hard to find a job that pays ~50k right? Well i honestly dont know b/c its been years since I have had to look for a job..

While money is always a huge deciding factor in picking a career (for obvious reasons) I really feel now, more than ever, that i need to get out of the office, or at least get away from the monotonous day to day flow that I am in right now. I know, the grass isnt always greener, and thats why I havent once actively looked for another job since i have been at my current place of employment. Its not that I hate sales as many people would say, Im actually quite good at it, I just DONT want to do it for the rest of my working life. At least not this type of sales. I guess it would be one thing if i was working of different projects or working with teams or training new offices or something like that. No, i just sit at my desk all day every day selling insurance. Blah it just gets to you after while..

Has anyone else ever been in that position? I have a ton of college credits but no degree (i should have my associates at the end of this year, but that is basically like a highschool diploma now..) I have always wanted to get into law enforcement or corrections, but it seems like for every one position that opens there is like 1000 applicants. I just dont think i can compete with someone that has military background or a bachelors for a LEO job. Im an insurance guy lol

So i guess I can always stay where I am at for a few more years, i mean i am content and ill finish at least my associates so that the credits dont go to waste, but i really dont want to be a career insurance sales person.. I guess i just have to sit back and look at all my options...

TL/DR: Been in an office for 9+yrs specifically sales and i am getting tired of it. Has anyone else been in a similar situation and what came of it? Did you switch careers? Was the risk of leaving worth it?

Thanks again, and I probably owe a few people a beer :)

Wayne

In normal past time America, I'd say venture out and try something new... But in this day and age with people having twice your experience and college educations looking to sit in your seat for employment, it's going to be difficult and risky to stick your neck out for something new.

Are there other opportunities inside your company? Maybe other locations?

You could always secretly apply around and use paid days off to interview. I did that for almost a year before finally a new company took me on about a year ago (from a job that I was at for 6 years). Takes persistence and knowing how to sell your skillsets well these days to make moves!

Wow we started almost the same way. I started at a Valet Co and moved up to GM, then moved on into Graphic Art/Prepress and onto Printing where I'm at now. I hear you about getting bored, but right now, job security is where it's at. My brother got laid-off at the end of Jan for the 1st time in his life at 43 yrs old. Good thing he's in his last semester of getting his MBA and that will hopefully help him get a new job. I would also say at least get the Associates Degree to differentiate yourself from those that don't have any College Degree. You can always add to that later if you want.

Lastly, if you're thinking of leaving, have a solid plan, then go for it. Not just a feeling of what you may like to do. Otherwise you may get caught with your pants down and be wishing you had that solid job.

Just my .02.

Good luck Wayne.

Sincerely,

Oscar

Yeah thats what scares me. All of these people with college and 20+ yrs sitting at home on unemployment. I cannot move "higher" b/c i work for a small insurance agency. Aside from the owner its me, a 2nd sales person and a secretary. Not much room for more movement. Not to say my boss cant afford to pay me more, I have gotten raises on my base, but unfortunately my best commission year was my 2nd year here so the decrease in comm offset a lot of the base salary increase.

I guess I should just be happy i have a good job. If i didnt have a mortgage and a kid then maybe it would be more worth it to stick my head out there.. I dont know

In normal past time America, I'd say venture out and try something new... But in this day and age with people having twice your experience and college educations looking to sit in your seat for employment, it's going to be difficult and risky to stick your neck out for something new.

+1

Been at my office job for almost 13 years now and I hate it but I have good job security and in many places, last one in means first one out.. I certainly can't afford to be out of a job or we'd lose our house quite rapidly.. These are tough economic times.. Don't want to discourage you from doing something you would rather do but you have to weigh both sides for sure

I feel like I'm in the same boat. Sales is beginning to get to me... And now that I'm in management, it's just become more stressful. Job security is key in this economic climate... especially since you have a kid to feed. Can't really say that I'm in a position to be taking any risks when there are so many people in horrible situations out there.

Good luck

I worked in an office for a few months after graduating (health insurance) and hated it. I quit and took a job in retail. Most people hate working retail, but I grew up working in my families store and I liked it. I was able to get a job at a major sporting goods store as a dept manager, and within a year got recruited to be a store manager for another company. Fast forward 5 years, I manage 3 store's for yet another company and am compensated well for it. I make my own schedule, and for the most part enjoy what I do. I also have the time to help out my family business which is important to me.

I would advise updating your resume, looking at jobs that you are interested in, and find a good headhunter who can put you in that job. Don't waste tons of hours each week applying for jobs on sites which might or might not be available, find someone at an agency with connections in your field and let them do the work. It will cost you nothing and give you more options. As someone who has worked for large companies (i.e. Nike, Sports Authority) half the jobs they post are only done for legal reasons, they know who is going to be hired before the posting ever goes up.

Good luck!

For what it's worth I'm the same age as you and even though I like what I do I know it's not what I want to spend the rest of my life doing. It's scary :(

All I can think of right now is Office Space, my my stapler. lol

If you want a cop job just start taking tests. My buddy is in the hiring process for state corrections right now. He is younger then you, no college at all, no military, and he isn't very smart.

The next police test is being announced in June, study for the test and score as high as possible.

Good luck!

For what it's worth I'm the same age as you and even though I like what I do I know it's not what I want to spend the rest of my life doing. It's scary :(

Fact.

I'm in a similar predicament.

I'm in my 20's. I make okay money. I don't hate my job. In fact, I enjoy it. What I hate is the politics. And I hate NJ. I feel like I am wasting my life here. For those reasons, and a few others, come June, I will be jobless. I'll also be out of NJ. It is scary. I have no idea what I am going to do. Though I could have my schooling paid for, I hate school. I guess I will see how this works out....

Fact.

I'm in a similar predicament.

I'm in my 20's. I make okay money. I don't hate my job. In fact, I enjoy it. What I hate is the politics. And I hate NJ. I feel like I am wasting my life here. For those reasons, and a few others, come June, I will be jobless. I'll also be out of NJ. It is scary. I have no idea what I am going to do. Though I could have my schooling paid for, I hate school. I guess I will see how this works out....

Where are you escaping to? Hopefully somewhere with job prospects in your field. +11tybillion to you for having the wherewithal to actually move.

I feel for you. I'm the same age, going through the same problem. Even with professional experience and VP, and a Bachelors, there is still difficulty in getting into certain career fields. Maybe I'm being too selective, but I would rather be a nomad then be stuck in a cubicle all day for the foreseeable future (I turned down a sales/office position recently). The way I see it, I just have to keep grinding, and the opportunities will come. What I keep reminding myself is to not get tunnel vision in the process, and always keep in mind alternative options. Having recently finished school, I'd rather not jump into my pursuits for a JD/MA as I'd rather work; but I can't dismiss the notion entirely as it would be a disservice to myself.

Just keep your chin up, we'll make it through just fine as long as we keep pushing forward.

If your in an office and making sales and only making 50 to 70k you are doing something wrong

Considering the current state of the economy, and the lack of a degree, that sure is an ignorant thing to say.

Wayne - I'm turning 41 this year and am on my third miserable job in financial services in the past 14 years. It is definitely better than breaking rocks or digging ditches for a living, and I am certainly thankful to even have a job. But when I was 27, I never imagined that I would merely be content to not be digging ditches.

I guess that I am suffering from the inflated expectations of my youth that I had no business entertaining, given my educational and general life choices. I wasted my college years earning two near-useless History degrees. So my predicament is my own fault, and based on that experience my best advice to you is, if you want to get out of financial services, to get that degree in something inherently useful - math, science, nursing, engineering (if you have that aptitude). But given that you have a family/mortgage to consider, you probably have several years of plugging away before that is feasible. Don't do what I did and follow a path because it was open at the time. You have to have a concrete end point/vision in mind before you start.

So, if you leave the desk you're at, where do you want to be? And what are the steps you are prepared to take get there?

Considering the current state of the economy, and the lack of a degree, that sure is an ignorant thing to say.

sorry but you have no friggin clue! 5 years into sales in the financial world without a college DIPLOMA I was doing well into 6 figures! IF he's not happy and he's making a "salary" then someone ELSE is making the difference off his back.

I have always wanted to get into law enforcement or corrections, but it seems like for every one position that opens there is like 1000 applicants. I just dont think i can compete with someone that has military background or a bachelors for a LEO job. Im an insurance guy lol

Go to USAJOBS.gov This is how the federal system hires ALL federal employees for ALL agencies. I currently work under the Department of Justice/ Federal Bureau of Prisons. There is an open continuous (though you may have to wait for the new year one) vaccancy announcement for Corrections Officer. Here is your problem, feds do not start out at the 50k your looking for (most LEO agencies don't) you have to work up to it. With the BOP as a CO you would start at about 43, after a yaer get bumped to 47, and another your there is another bump. Now that is just if you get hired at the lowest level. There are a TON of different positions within the BOP but I am not a BOP recruiter.... What I am saying is check out USAJOBS, build a resume on there (gear it to the job you are applying for) and browse the thousands of job announcements on there. See what you qualify for and apply! I applied for the BOP and didn't hear anything for about a year which is not the norm but at least get your resume out there. As far as other CO/LEO positions available in NJ, first you need the civil service test (joke and waste of money) but look at PBA/FOP, they normally have announcements on what agencies are looking for police. As far as corrections on a state or county level, you would have to look up the prisons near you or look up NJDOC and see if they have spots. GOOD LUCK!

I can write a book on this and maybe will someday. I never finished college despite attending a few on scholarships. I started my career as a messenger and by age 21 I had a professional license in my field, was married and bought my first brand new home and fancy sports car. By the age of 30 I was one of three internationally recognized experts in my field and a UN Advisor. I co-authored the authoritative book in my field and after that companies came to me. Now I am given 25% of net profits in addition to a 6 figure salary while working 3-4 days a week from home anyplace I want to live in the world. I worked very hard to get to there but basically it was a combination of hard work, the ability to sell myself and to perform well once hired. I have never gone to a job interview and not received a job offer and I have had about 12 jobs in 42 years. Most of my job changing was done in my younger days as the only way to get significant salary increases is to change jobs. No company is going to give you a $20K raise as it sets a bad example for the rest of the company. All I can tell you is that even during times of recession good people can get jobs. In fact I have had my biggest salary gains during recessions changing jobs as often as 3 times in two years. However, most people do not like to look for new jobs and stay put as a result. The best time to look for a new job is when you are employed and not desperate. Those of us who hire know that companies tend to keep their best employees when ti comes time to lay off people. So I gave you my success story. No college degree and yet was able to get jobs requiring them. Forget sending in resumes by email. Companies get thousands of them. Most companies automate the process and look for key words and will automatically trash your resume if they do not see the educational or other requirements they are looking for. Most of my jobs were obtained by approaching the business owners or those in a position to hire in person through either membership in an organization, networking or some other means where I could make myself known to them. A subject for an entire chapter in a book.

I can't believe i an the first to mention this.

http://www.nationalguard.com/guard-basics/eligibility-requirements

Best thing about it is they have to hold your job. That way you can do your training and get some new life experience without losing your job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most LEO jobs are Civil Service, so you need to take the test and score really well. The better you score, the higher on the list you go. Degree doesn't make much of a difference. I don. Know if there are extra points for military service.

If you are looking to break up the monotony you could consider volunteering in the evenings, it won't change your current job but give you something different to do.

Your local fire department or ambulance squad, the Red Cross, local church organizations.

Most volunteer organizations will train you so you don't need to have any skills before showing up.

Dunno if it's your cup of tea, but nursing will always be in demand and will get you from sitting behind a desk. It's a hard job but supposedly is very rewarding. My wife went through a similar predicament and decided she really hated her cushy but extremely boring and frustrating job with the state and is now in the process of switching careers and going back to school for nursing.