TheLugNutZ

Sick of sitting behind a desk all day/sales

I skimmed over most of the posts.. How about you save up a nice wad of cash in the meantime while sticking with your current job, and look into investing it somewhere or starting up your own business? Yes, extremely vague advice, but look into it. Come up with some crazy ideas, some not-crazy ideas, and really see what you'd be interested in doing.

Also, you at least have your outside hobbies, like firearms, to keep you busy. If you need another hobby and got the cash, look into joining a gym. Not those dumb GloboGyms, but a legit strength and conditioning gym. Running, Olympic lifting, kettlebells, strong-man, gymnastics, MMA, etc. That'll give you something to look forward to AFTER work.

Dunno if it's your cup of tea, but nursing will always be in demand and will get you from sitting behind a desk. It's a hard job but supposedly is very rewarding. My wife went through a similar predicament and decided she really hated her cushy but extremely boring and frustrating job with the state and is now in the process of switching careers and going back to school for nursing.

Nursing isnt that in demand in this area unless you have experience. They are not hiring new Grads much right now. My girlfriend graduated with a Bachelors from drexel last year and still hasnt been able to get employment. They all want Nurses with at least 2 years of experience.

Oh I have hobbies and I go to the gym 5 days a week.

Saving to start my own is always an option and is very high on the list now. Was also thinking about trying to get my FFL, tho without a considerable amount of start up capital it would prob be more like a side job for me....

I am content once I leave work, I may actually have too many hobbies, it's what I do for a living that I feel needs a change.

I believe the NJSP requirement is a bachelor's degree or an associates degree with military experience. Local PD, I am not so sure if it is the same but I'd imagine that the state has some minimum requirement. And usually you want a degree in criminal justice or similar although I suppose if I were younger I could join the NJSP with a degree in electrical engineering (what use would it be really). You also have to graduate the academy before you turn 35.

The NYPD however has a lower education requirement. They require only an associates. Pay starts about 45k when you're in the academy. But it's the NYPD and I think they have a residency requirement of the 5 boroughs or nearby NY counties. At one time I considered joining up.

Corrections? I have a friend who's a retired corrections officer. He worked at Rahway for most of his career. He said he had his head bashed in a lot of times and suffered as a result. He's not in good health right now. But he gets to carry! Yeah, but is it worth it to give up your health for the ability to carry?

I guess if you're in it because you want to make a difference then a LE career is good for you. I don't see why anyone would do the job otherwise. It's tough and they have higher divorce rates and more health problems. Honestly though given all of the scum out there on the streets, high stress and risk of death I wouldn't want that job. The guys who do it, hats off to 'em. I am in the technology field. I work at a large media company in NYC, one I'm sure you are all familiar with. The job pays the bills but I wish I was in something else. I'm very good at what I do but it's not exciting as I'd like it to be and I really don't think I'm making much of a difference in society other than stimulating the economy and being a minister in a ministry in my church.

So what would I be?

My dad is a teacher. Don't know if I'd want to do that. Pay is low unless you have many years of service. Summers off though and you get to make a difference.

Firefighter? I've thought of joining the volunteer fire company here. I don't have the time now though. Ditto the local first aid squad. Maybe later on when things get quieter here. That would be awesome but still risky. But I'd be making a difference in society and saving lives.

Some of my relatives wanted me to get into medicine. Probably too late for that now but my cousin is a doctor and she seems to be enjoying it. Maybe I would have made a good one. I can diagnose things quickly and provide logical steps to resolution. Research is also my strong point. Problem is due to time and money I couldn't do med school. It's expensive and 100k of student loans isn't on my to-do list.

Maybe I'll invent something cool and useful. That can help humanity.

I am in very similar situation.

In it, been at my co for 11+ years. recently acquired. Money is so so for my field (just under 6 figures).

Company bought at last year and have feeling I am on chopping block.

Updating resume, but really do not want to do what I am currently doing. I know career change will be less money 9maybe a good deal if I an even switch careers).

No longer married and no kids. Have enough in bank to last a year or 2, but of course dont want t blow my life savings.

Do some IT conuslting on side (small biz and home users). Thinking of expanding that, but not sure it could be a fruitful fulltime gig for me in the long run.

I guess right now I am a bit nervous, scared, apprehensive and I need to get over that.

Job hunting is one of my least fav things in the world. Have a mental block with it, but fortuantly, my father is one of top resume writers in the wrold, has 50 rs of HR related experience, owned large recruiting firm when I grew up and knows how to find a job.

Still leaves me a bit nervous and apprehensive.

I know I need to sack up a bit ;)

If your in an office and making sales and only making 50 to 70k you are doing something wrong

There is some truth to this. A good sales person in this area could easily make more than $70k. It may be as simple as you being at the wrong place. I've consulted at a number of insurance companies and the sales guys who were good made bank. All of them over 6 figures, some half a mil and up. Some of them were cut throat jackasses though so the stress, cut throat nature, and sales quotas may not be worth the money to some people.

if you want to get out of financial services, to get that degree in something inherently useful - math, science, nursing, engineering (if you have that aptitude).

I know plenty of people who have degrees in chemistry, math, etc who work for salaries in line with the U.S. median household income ($50k, which stinks if you live in NJ). Hell before I got into technology I was working with a bunch of PhD's and none of them were cracking $70k. They weren't recent hires either.

What you really need to do is research the trends and forecast what is going to be a line of work with security and good pay [or whatever qualities you are looking for in a job, work from home, lots of vacation, good benefits, etc]. There are gigs that pay well and are always hiring regardless of the economy and there are gigs that come and go. Computer programmers made $300 an hour back in the day, not anymore... unless maybe they are cutting edge and ahead of their peers which is a very small percentage of folks. Those who stay at the forefront of their fields are going to find jobs.

I can write a book on this and maybe will someday. I never finished college despite attending a few on scholarships. I started my career as a messenger and by age 21 I had a professional license in my field, was married and bought my first brand new home and fancy sports car. By the age of 30 I was one of three internationally recognized experts in my field and a UN Advisor. I co-authored the authoritative book in my field and after that companies came to me. Now I am given 25% of net profits in addition to a 6 figure salary while working 3-4 days a week from home anyplace I want to live in the world. I worked very hard to get to there but basically it was a combination of hard work, the ability to sell myself and to perform well once hired. I have never gone to a job interview and not received a job offer and I have had about 12 jobs in 42 years. Most of my job changing was done in my younger days as the only way to get significant salary increases is to change jobs. No company is going to give you a $20K raise as it sets a bad example for the rest of the company. All I can tell you is that even during times of recession good people can get jobs. In fact I have had my biggest salary gains during recessions changing jobs as often as 3 times in two years. However, most people do not like to look for new jobs and stay put as a result. The best time to look for a new job is when you are employed and not desperate. Those of us who hire know that companies tend to keep their best employees when ti comes time to lay off people. So I gave you my success story. No college degree and yet was able to get jobs requiring them. Forget sending in resumes by email. Companies get thousands of them. Most companies automate the process and look for key words and will automatically trash your resume if they do not see the educational or other requirements they are looking for. Most of my jobs were obtained by approaching the business owners or those in a position to hire in person through either membership in an organization, networking or some other means where I could make myself known to them. A subject for an entire chapter in a book.

Fixed

I know plenty of people who have degrees in chemistry, math, etc who work for salaries in line with the U.S. median household income ($50k, which stinks if you live in NJ). Hell before I got into technology I was working with a bunch of PhD's and none of them were cracking $70k. They weren't recent hires either.

I guess that goes back to your other comment about being a "good" sales person, or good anything. Maybe it is mostly the type of individual that maters most and not necessarily the pedigree -- though I don't know too many engineers or industrial chemists making near the median US income. Academics, that's a different story. In my company, engineers are starting at $70k-$75k, and that is for the H1-B folks from India who are "cheaper". My friends who went into chemistry back it the early 90s started at $50k. Then again, I also know a brilliant polymer scientist with PhD that is only in the $70ks. He could probably set up his own company or go anywhere and command any price -- but he's content where he is. If even minimally driven enough, certain degrees/trades/skills will open more doors, quicker in the early stages of a career. Long run, that depends upon the person.

I did that sales office shit for over 5 yrs.

Now, I work 3 gigs, beat work away, $100-500 a week turndown, every single week, every. Make my own schedule which ironically makes me even MORE busy, for 8 years now.

Im tired ALL the damn time. Work is ENDLESS, ENDLESS!!!! ENDLESS!!!!! Ugh!!!!!!!

What recession??????

Wish I was unemployed.

Sorry for the rant.

I guess that goes back to your other comment about being a "good" sales person, or good anything. Maybe it is mostly the type of individual that maters most and not necessarily the pedigree -- though I don't know too many engineers or industrial chemists making near the median US income. Academics, that's a different story. In my company, engineers are starting at $70k-$75k, and that is for the H1-B folks from India who are "cheaper". My friends who went into chemistry back it the early 90s started at $50k. Then again, I also know a brilliant polymer scientist with PhD that is only in the $70ks. He could probably set up his own company or go anywhere and command any price -- but he's content where he is. If even minimally driven enough, certain degrees/trades/skills will open more doors, quicker in the early stages of a career. Long run, that depends upon the person.

Yes, somewhat. I mean it sounds like he is excelling in the position he is but maybe he needs to change his place of employment or have a sit down with the boss about his commissions! Not every position that requires a certain degree or level of education is necessarily a high paying job. And that might be OK for some people. I know for myself, as soon as I'm done paying off my mortgages I'm going to try to downshift. At least get out of the city or get a gig where I can work from home 3 days a week or something.