NorthernYankee

NJ2AS and Sweeney

From Frank at NJ2AS...

*** MEETING WITH SENATOR STEVE SWEENEY

Your Legislative Committee Chairman Bob Barush and I had a meeting this afternoon with Senator Steve Sweeney and his staff. The meeting was very cordial. We had a chance to discuss each bill and explain our reasons for our opposition. I can say that unlike the Assembly, Senator Sweeney showed a sincere interest in our/your opinions. We are still providing some requested information that should help bolster our position on some of the bills, but I CAN report that you will NOT see the kind of DISRESPECT from the Senate that we experienced from the Assembly. We do not yet know which bills will make it to the Law & Public Safety Committee, but Senator Sweeney assure us that the NJ2AS *WILL* be involved in the process and that we will see any bills and their amendments before they move on. Obviously this is a HUGE improvement over the way we were previously treated in the Assembly.

Bob and I will DEFINITELY keep you informed as we learn more about which bills will move forward, and any significant changes we become aware of. There was a general agreement that the EMPHASIS in the Senate will be on making a clear distinction between the law-abiding gun owner (who they do NOT see as the problem) and those areas that can be tightened up to prevent the criminals and criminally insane from using guns for violent purposes.

Great work Frank! At least we have a voice and they said they will listen. This is already progress. If they truly mean that they won't pass any laws that would impact legal gun owners then none of these bills will be passed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I wouldn't get to happy about this. Sweeny is a politician, he will look you directly in the eye and lie to your face. He is not stupid however.

He sees what is going on in NY, 30 point approval rating drop in a week. Death knell to a politician. Companies pulling out of the state. Death knell. Public refusal to follow law, death knell.

If he sees a political benefit for himself, or a hindrance to any of his competition, this crap will be brought up and passed in a minute.

It seems alot of the NJ ASSembly are puppets of NY.

I hope Sweeney is a man of his word.

I hope this was not a shot to 'tranquilize' NJ gun folks.

I hope Sweeney doesnt lump together mental illness and legal gun ownership and just ban everything in the end.

I hope we dont get screwed, even a little bit.

Remember in NJ, expect The WORST, ALWAYS.

I predict, we are gona get FCKD, BADLY.

Paul Mulshine's Star Ledger column.

http://blog.nj.com/n...er_the_gun.html

Newark Star Ledger

Frank Fiamingo of the New Jersey Second Amendment Society said the same about Sweeney. Sweeney didn’t return my call, but Fiamingo said he expects to know where the Senate president stands by tomorrow. He’s scheduled to meet with Sweeney to ask him to deep-six those bills most inimical to gun owners’ interests.

"We need to prevent any bills that don’t make a distinction between the law-abiding citizen and the criminal," said Fiamingo.

Sweeney could get away with passing a few feel-good bills, such as one establishing a commission to study school shootings or another that would fund gun-buyback programs. But the gun-rights crowd can’t accept such measures as bans on magazines that hold more than 10 rounds, on mail-order ammunition and on rifles of .50 caliber or more.

"If he were to pass that 10-round magazine bill, he would lose the election," said Dolce. "There are enough people in his district that are pro-firearm rights who would see this not just as a negative, but as a betrayal."

That’s no idle threat, particularly in a year when a popular governor could have coattails that carry many of his fellow Republicans into office. Meanwhile as for Christie, he could afford to veto these bills and still stay far ahead in the polls. Christie could cruise to re-election in November while scoring points with out-of-state Republicans who’ve been criticizing many of his most recent moves. That would set him up nicely for a possible presidential run in 2016.