Colt1911

How long do I soak my new kimber?

All kidding aside,

OP-if this is a legitimate post, and you're in NNJ, I'll just give you some cleaning supplies to get you by until you get a proper setup

think he's actually down in south jersey (near little egg harbor/mays landing) according to his home range (estell manor)

dont know if OP is on the wind up or a troll or being serious.. but im pretty sure that a Kimber manual will not tell you to soak the gun in a water/ammonia bath.. seems to me like it would have been better if he/she just didnt clean it after that first test.. (not optimal, but neither is soaking it in water)..

I suspect the OP is having a hearty chuckle at our expense....Probably some smart ass kid who thought it funny to troll the old guys in" that gun forum".

Actually I find it rather amusing myself that some of us actually takes this post seriously when it is obviously posted to inflame......

Bravo Colt1911!

I suspect the OP is having a hearty chuckle at our expense....Probably some smart ass kid who thought it funny to troll the old guys in" that gun forum".

Actually I find it rather amusing myself that some of us actually takes this post seriously when it is obviously posted to inflame......

Bravo Colt1911!

Pretty sure it's a joke but would it surprise you if it wasn't?

I do too, but I just wanted to put that out there, in the off chance he was a new shooter making a very poor choice.

If this is a legitimate new shooter...do we really want him/her to be anywhere near a firearm in the future? Seriously? We would essentially be schooling an idiot.

If this is a legitimate new shooter...do we really want him/her to be anywhere near a firearm in the future? Seriously? We would essentially be schooling an idiot.

Maybe an offer of some safety courses would've been a better choice..

Maybe an offer of some safety courses would've been a better choice..

No....far better to let the gun rust and seize up forcing Colt1911 to consider a more suitable hobby.......bird watching,needle point,trainspotting perhaps.

You need to neutralize any reaction caused by the ammonia with cold water. Just take it out of the tub, place it in the toilet and flush a few times. Just be sure that the toilet is empty otherwise you'll lose track of which turd is the one with the serial # on it.

No....far better to let the gun rust and seize up forcing Colt1911 to consider a more suitable hobby.......bird watching,needle point,trainspotting perhaps.

Perhaps a nice bridge for the OP to live under?

I'm such a rube

You need to neutralize any reaction caused by the ammonia with cold water. Just take it out of the tub, place it in the toilet and flush a few times. Just be sure that the toilet is empty otherwise you'll lose track of which turd is the one with the serial # on it.

571px-LEL.png

really, not joking 100% serious one of my favorite cleaning methods is scrubbing in the sink. Dawn power dissolver works wonders on bores, squirt some down the bore scrub a few times and dump some hot water down to flush it out. For hundreds of years of firearms history water and soap has been the favored solvent of choice. If it worked then it must still work now. I shoot rifles worth more than most peoples cars and clean them with this method. I assure you there is nothing wrong with using water to clean a firearm. Proper drying and oiling must follow immediately though.

really, not joking 100% serious one of my favorite cleaning methods is scrubbing in the sink. Dawn power dissolver works wonders on bores, squirt some down the bore scrub a few times and dump some hot water down to flush it out. For hundreds of years of firearms history water and soap has been the favored solvent of choice. If it worked then it must still work now. I shoot rifles worth more than most peoples cars and clean them with this method. I assure you there is nothing wrong with using water to clean a firearm. Proper drying and oiling must follow immediately though.

As per my post earlier, the OP needed "Dawn". ;)

Thanks for the info, usnmars! I'll use your cleaning method next time I shoot my mosins.

be sure to remove the stock, and do a full disassembly. After rinsing i dump a teapot of boiling water down the bore for a final rinse and it heats the metal so any residual water evaporates almost instant. As precaution i hit everything with the air compressor and then oil good. You will be amased what comes out of a "clean" bore.