Jon

A3659: Bans .50 cal weapons

What does that mean? Does it have to still pass but is effective immediately after it passes?

It would take effect as soon as it is signed by the Governor..  Many bills have a 'start date' written into them such as "30 days after signed into law".. etc. 

Obviously a significant portion of the population of NJ is threatened by .50 cal firearms on a daily basis.  The bill must take effect immediately "To save just one life.. Won't someone think of the children!"

I assume all .50 cal firearms will be grandfathered?

I sure hope so. Also what is the date to be grandfathered? I bought the gun well before the ban and have an invoice but just submitted the NICS check sunday. 

It would take effect as soon as it is signed by the Governor..  Many bills have a 'start date' written into them such as "30 days after signed into law".. etc. 

Obviously a significant portion of the population of NJ is threatened by .50 cal firearms on a daily basis.  The bill must take effect immediately "To save just one life.. Won't someone think of the children!"

This is so stupid. Why doesnt any even fight back against this? How are they allowed to make laws like this. I cant tell you how frustrating this is. Lets ban all 18 wheelers and dump trucks to make sure people dont get killed in car accidents anymore. 

Is the SAF or NRA doing anything about this?

I think, "we, the people", get to vote on this in November.

I never really got this logic. Its a very brainwashed mentality. Oh great you get to vote in november, your vote, which "might" elect someone who still will stick up and try and please the stupid masses in this country. Even then if they decide to try and change some of the laws, it has to go through a voting process in which the senates and councils might not be controlled by people who agree. Voting, even though I do it, doesnt hold as much weight as you think it does. 

This is so stupid. Why doesnt any even fight back against this? How are they allowed to make laws like this. I cant tell you how frustrating this is. Lets ban all 18 wheelers and dump trucks to make sure people dont get killed in car accidents anymore. 

Is the SAF or NRA doing anything about this?

As you can tell from the posts in this thread, and similar ones on this site.. everyone is frustrated.  Those that can, have been attending rally's and the legislative events to speak out against the bills.  The frustration comes from the fact that the legislature is not listening and plowing ahead.  When that happens, the only^h^h^hfirst recourse is to try to vote those people out..

As you can tell from the posts in this thread, and similar ones on this site.. everyone is frustrated.  Those that can, have been attending rally's and the legislative events to speak out against the bills.  The frustration comes from the fact that the legislature is not listening and plowing ahead.  When that happens, the only^h^h^hfirst recourse is to try to vote those people out..

Yeah I know, like I said above, its sad that the only recourse we have is voting. Its just not fair... 

From results a few years ago discussing off year elections.

Democrats made a similar three-seat gain in the state legislative elections in New Jersey, but Republicans retained control of both houses there. The New Jersey campaign saw a record low turnout of only 35 percent of registered voters, combined with record spending by the two big business parties, nearly $20 million combined, an unprecedented amount for an election involving only the lower house of a state legislature.

If the 10-12 % of pissed of gun owners vote, it  could have a huge effect.

We the legal gun owners of NJ really need to get the word out this November. Help all pro 2A politicians any way possible. Voting these crooks out of office will be the only way we can get these dumb bill overturned if Christie signs them into law.

Certainly.. see this thread, and others for examples others have written/said.

Yes, yes and yes.  Write, call, fax and email and then get anyone else you know to do the same. 

I have been sending short to the point correspondences as well as longer versions that explain, in no uncertain terms that any vote that any anti- gun stance that Christie makes will eliminate him from contention for any VP or even presidential consideration come the next election.

I sure hope so. Also what is the date to be grandfathered? I bought the gun well before the ban and have an invoice but just submitted the NICS check sunday. 

Brought the gun and have possession are 2 different things. If the grandfathering is for all .50 cal guns, then you would need to have possession of your gun before the bill is signed into law. 

I read this bill here:

http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2012/Bills/S2500/2178_R2.HTM

I have one question, does this ban a Smith 500?  As far as I read it, all destructive devices must:

"that is capable of firing a projectile that attains a muzzle energy of 12,000 foot-pounds or greater in any combination of bullet, propellant, case, or primer."

The 500 Mag round does not come close to 12000 ft-lbs, and despite the huge X frame you can't chamber a BMG into this revolver... 

If the bill only had this line, then this would only affect the 50 BMG since the muzzle energy starts around 13,000. The "The provisions of this paragraph shall not apply to a smooth bore shotgun or rifle barrel shotgun or any shotgun ammunition generally recognized as suitable for sporting purposes in this State"  line causes a problem since it does not state "handgun".

Not sure if anyone caught this sentence in the bill.

f. If a prohibited weapon registered pursuant to this section is used in the commission of a crime, the registrant of that prohibited weapon shall be civilly liable for any damages resulting from that crime.

They really do stay up at night to find new ways to screw over legal gun owners.

Question,

If I currently own a 50 cal and this bill becomes law thus grandfathering, can I sell my 50 cal to another nj resident some time in the future? Does the firearm get grandfathered in the state or is it limited to my ownership meaning if I want to sell it, it has to go out of state and never return back to nj?