Jon

A3659: Bans .50 cal weapons

The current form of the bill will only allow you to keep ownership of the firearm after you register it again and pay a $50 fee. You can only sell it out of state after the bill is signed and has to be sold out of state or given to the state after you pass.

There was a new section added. It states you can keep the gun,but you have to register it and pay a $50 fee. If you don't register or make it inoperable, you have to sell it or take it out of state.

Please keep in mind that this is still a bill so anything can change.

http://www.nj.com/po...un_control.html

this link from another thread here is pretty much up to date

A3659: Bans the .50-caliber rifle — the most powerful weapon available to civilians

That may be true for New Jersey, but I'm pretty sure 20mm rifles are NFA legal for civilians with a $200 stamp in Pennsylvania and the rest of the 35 surviving American states. The reporter needs to be reminded that you can even see America (Pennsylvania) from the NJ State House.

(I've also read The .600 and .700 Nitro Express cartridges are considered sporting, since they were designed for game hunting in Africa, and they don't require the $200 stamp. Not that I will ever need to shoot a charging rhinoceros.)

I thought A3659 as going to be a bone thrown to the antis. But since Buono was way in the background when Obama visited Asbury Park, even the Democrats don't seem to think that she has much of a chance. Plus the Democrats in the NJ Assembly are fighting with the Democrats in the NJ Senate now. So Christie might not even need to sign this one.

That may be true for New Jersey, but I'm pretty sure 20mm rifles are NFA legal for civilians with a $200 stamp in Pennsylvania and the rest of the 35 surviving American states. The reporter needs to be reminded that you can even see America (Pennsylvania) from the NJ State House.

(I've also read The .600 and .700 Nitro Express cartridges are considered sporting, since they were designed for game hunting in Africa, and they don't require the $200 stamp. Not that I will ever need to shoot a charging rhinoceros.)

I thought A3659 as going to be a bone thrown to the antis. But since Buono was way in the background when Obama visited Asbury Park, even the Democrats don't seem to think that she has much of a chance. Plus the Democrats in the NJ Assembly are fighting with the Democrats in the NJ Senate now. So Christie might not even need to sign this one.

Remember, in NJ: no sign == pass. Christie would have to veto it.

Remember, in NJ: no sign == pass. Christie would have to veto it.

Yes -- but what I mean is that he has enough karma banked less than 6 months from the election that he can "provisionally" veto this one (and no doubt there are unintended consequences or unconstitutional provisions in the law as written) with a good speech. ("If the Senate and Assembly change "X" ..."  which they won't change. He did it with gay marriage, minimum wage, etc.)

A3659 will not earn him anything with primary voters in Louisiana. It's toxic in about 35 states.

Buono and the rest of the antis think they can hit him over the head with this for November -- but the truth is that 80% of NJ voters don't care all that intensely, and of the remaining 20%, we are half, and of the other half, 98% are voting for Buono anyway.

I think Christie should veto most of the bills -- he took my advice about gastric banding, so who knows?

I posted this over in the "Politics" forum earlier, so apologies...

The vote totals are now posted. http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/bills/bills0001.asp

A3659/S2178 passed by the Senate 23/16. They don't have the 27 votes to override a veto of that one, either.

Possibilities -- Christie signs the .50 BMG ban, throwing his own party under the bus, and letting the Democrats hit the 16 or 17 Republicans who voted "no" over the head with this in November. Or Christie vetoes/"conditionally vetoes" (change X-Y-Z -- which they won't) the bunch with a good speech asking why they didn't even read the report by his blue ribbon commission, since they did almost nothing that the commission recommended.

(This is New Jersey, not Washington. The Republicans voted the way they did because Christie wanted them to vote that way.)

Less than 6 months to the election -- Buono wouldn't have been seated in the background and needed to stand in line to shake Obama's hand in Asbury Park last Tuesday if anyone thought she had a snowball's chance on the beach in August. The Democrats in the NJ Assembly are fighting with the Democrats in the NJ Senate over 15 round magazines. Based on the vote totals, I don't think Christie's advisers see much potential danger from vetoing most of the bills.

I don't expect Christie to say or do anything Monday morning -- he doesn't have a single bill on his desk at this point. It's also to his and everyone's benefit to allow the memory of Sandy Hook to fade to the maximum extent before taking action. Patience.

At this point, the bill has passed both houses and it goes to the governors desk. The big guy either vetos it,signs it or doesn't do anything with it for 45 days after it hits his desk,if he does that, it's the same as signing it.

There is a grandfather clause in it, so anyone with a .50 in their possession with get to keep it once they complete the correct paperwork.

The last part is the bill if signed into law will go into effect immediately.

I read somewhere that they are only banning .50 cals with 10-12000 ft lb. at the muzzle idk if sw 500 are around that its more based towards the 45 lb barrets that they think crimes will be committed with

As usual, the law is written to be as vague as possible. While it does mention the 10-12000 foot pounds, it also mentions rifled bore and .50 cal so the assumption is any hg or rifle that is not smooth bore.

As usual, the law is written to be as vague as possible. While it does mention the 10-12000 foot pounds, it also mentions rifled bore and .50 cal so the assumption is any hg or rifle that is not smooth bore.

First, Gov has to sign the bill to make it a law. Once signed into law (praying it doesn't) the Superintendent of the State Police has 60 days to create the form that would be used as the registration form. You still have 1 year from law enactment to register.