Jon

A3659: Bans .50 cal weapons

SO we will have to register our .50 muzzleloading rifles?  Ridiculous!!!!

Agreed. Registering a weapon never ends well....as history has proven.Also, I can not find a single incident where a .50 cal was involved in a crime. This being the case, it's very obvious why a BIG government wants to "ban" them. It's not the criminal they fear, it's the freedom loving citizen that's their threat.

SO we will have to register our .50 muzzleloading rifles?  Ridiculous!!!!

IIRC this is excluded. And IIRC its only those that exceed 12,000 lbs muzzle velocity but you should read up on it as I lost track.....

I haven't seen anything concrete excluding muzzlies and slug guns. Not any exact wording at least

I've seen a draft that excluded shotguns (but only for "sporting purposes" whatever that means) but nothing excluding muzzleloaders. 

And the language added to the bill banning rounds over a certain amount of foot pounds of energy doesn't by its own terms exclude guns that have less energy that are still .50.  The amended bill says a) if it is .50 it is banned and b) if it is over 12,000 foot pounds it is banned, one or the other is enough to ban it.

I find it remarkable that of the guns I own, the one that will be banned under this supposed "Newtown" legislative response is my 1860s era muzzleloader rifle, on the basis that the lead ball it shoots is a half inch wide.

Although it would be a real easy law to challenge.  What is rational about banning a half an inch?  We're talking about banning George Washington's rifle, if you really want to get down to it. Is Christie going to ban George Washington's rifle?

1[Notwithstanding the provisions of paragraph (3) of this subsection, the term shall not include any of the following weapons capable of firing a projectile of a caliber of 50 or greater, but not exceeding a caliber of 60: antique firearm; antique handgun; muzzleloader rifle; or black powder muzzleloader having in-line ignition, a center hammer or an under hammer which has been, or subsequently is, approved for hunting in this State.  The term also shall not include any firearm with a bore diameter greater than 60 caliber whose principle means of ignition are traditional flintlock or caplock and whose principle propellant is black powder.]1

doesnt the above address a muzzle loader up to 60 cal? how big do they get?

I've lost track of this Bill since I have been fighting the Sweeney bill. Where does the .50 cal ban Bill put shotguns such as the Remington 870 with a 18" smooth bore barrel which most folks own for home defense as well as 870's that have longer smooth bore barrels for trap and skeet?

Last time is was able to decipher anything in this bill it was only rifled barreled shotguns it was talking about. So basically slug guns. But it didn't make a determination about shotguns that had interchangeable barrels

Thanks Glockguy1120, from what I am able to decipher smooth bore shotguns seemed fine. It's just not clear.

The muzzle energy requirement is the worst because it is a bad precedent to set. 

In the UK, the legality of a pellet gun is based on how much muzzle energy it produces. 

So once the law starts restricting based on power, zero is the ultimate goal that the legislature will seek to reach.

How fast is the .50 gi? I would like to own the 1911 .50 gi. Before my DE I almost settled for the glock .50.. Thank god my permits came through just as I found my De

I've been seeing around 1200-1300. I had the conversion for my g21 back in the day but never got to chrono it. It's hard to find ammo for it. I wouldn't mind a 1911 50 though.

Over the last few days, Christie seems to be staking out positions -- his rant on the SC decision on gay marriage, for one, vetoing A3668 (prohibits state pension and annuity funds from being invested in companies that manufacture or sell assault firearms for civilian use) is another -- that are to the right of where he's generally thought to stand.

I thought I remembered him saying something to the effect that he "didn't understand" why anyone would want a .50 BMG rifle. (Fair enough, there are about a bazillion things that I don't understand that anyone would want.) But apparently banning the Barrett .50 BMG is on Christie's own website as one of the things New Jersey needs to do to to make Camden, Trenton and Newark safer places to live and work.

Absolutely amazing position to take about the one firearm that has never been used in a crime anywhere in New Jersey!

Most of the NJ Republicans voted against A-3659/S-2719, and the Democrats don't have the votes to overturn a veto. If Christie wants to stake out his conservative bona fides someone needs to go over this and hit the "delete" key. (Proposals #2 and #3 don't seem to amount to much.)

Christie has an "out" for vetoing  A-3659/S-2719 in that it's badly written and that it seems to ban the rifle that Hawkeye carried in "The Last of the Mohicans".  But he still has the problem of explaining why he's in favor of NJ passing another stupid law that's not going to do anything, except annoy and inconvenience a few innocent sportsmen.

http://nj.gov/governor/news/news/552013/approved/20130419a.html

RESPONSIBLY EXPANDING NEW JERSEY’S ALREADY STRINGENT GUN CONTROL MEASURES

Governor Christie’s plan to responsibly expand New Jersey’s strict gun control measures includes:

•  
  • Banning future purchases of the Barrett .50 Caliber (New Jersey law would ban any weapon that is substantially identical to the Barrett .50 Caliber);
  •  
  • Strengthening the State's existing background check requirement by mandating that adjudicated mental health records are included in the instant background check process at the time of a firearm purchase as part of the National Instant Background Check system;
  •  
  • Requiring firearms purchasers to present a valid government photo ID, along with the already mandatory Firearms Purchaser Identification Card.
  •  

I've been seeing around 1200-1300. I had the conversion for my g21 back in the day but never got to chrono it. It's hard to find ammo for it. I wouldn't mind a 1911 50 though.

I've read that's because the company is the only ones to sell the ammo

Like I said, not one person should comply. I most certainly will not. They can't arrest us all

Being arrested is not an option....why should you be arrested for complying with a written, oath taken RIGHT? Going to jail for following the law of the land is not an option, that is surrendering to an enemy. The line has been pushed way beyond where it should be...until then, prayer and direction for peaceful solutions but I will not go to jail for being a complying, honest tax paying citizen.

Christie has always been against gay marriage. He vetoed the last bill the legislature passed. I think he will sign this bill banning 50 cal but if we put pressure on him he may change his mind. There's no doubt that he has national ambitions and he can't ban 50cal if he wants the presidency. He will be nailed to the wall.

Mob him. Phone calls, letters, faxes. That's how we shut down Toomey.

Forget emails. You can't trip over a bag of emails.

Also, go for whomever you consider national Republican party leaders or those sympathetic to our cause. Go to Fox News. Ask the helpful of our national Republicans to go to Fox News for a nice little free political spotlight.

As few as we are, I honestly believe that if only everybody on this forum did all of that, it would guarantee a veto. Especially if you get US legislators (not yours) to use this as a soapbox to get a few minutes on Fox News. Governor Sandwiches will shit his pants.

I'm not registering anything.

And neither should anyone else. For once let's all stand together and say NO!!

They don't care. Nobody registered "Assault Weapons" either.

Like I said, not one person should comply. I most certainly will not. They can't arrest us all

They didn't arrest everybody with "assault rifles," either. Just the people they caught and continue to catch. In a year or two you'll realize nobody cares anymore and it's probably not a good idea to bring your .50 outside your house unless you want to go to jail. And, if cops ever come in your house for any reason, or a judge forces you to turn them in due to a complaint regarding your wife/spouse/kids, the judge will want to know where that .50 cal is since you already had it registered in Jersey the day you bought it.

So this is the link that I found for the A3659 - I believe it is the most current version: http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2012/Bills/A4000/3659_I1.HTM

From what I read on here - it would re-define destructive devices to include weapons of .50cal or higher.  There does appear to be exceptions for shotguns, black powder, etc.  But classifying them as destructive devices makes them illegal to possess.  Not restricted, no registration, no grandfathering - you can't even possess them as a Class III dealer.  It would make them the same class as a mine or a hand grenade - "shall not possess."

So also - you can still own them, you just can't possess them in New Jersey.  So you should be able to just remove the gun from NJ - take it to a more friendly gun state such as PA while still retaining title.  At least that is my understanding of it.

If someone has a link to a different version or can verify what version is actually on the governer's desk, I'd love to check it out.