Jon

A3666: Prohibits mail order/internet/phone sales of ammunition

Yes, all that would be allowed would be person to person sales. Basically you would have to walk into a brick and mortar store, be identified and complete the sale. Since finding ammo in NJ is tough anyway, I see myself crossing the border to PA of DE for ammo purchases if this goes through.

Are you sure? The consolidated bills include setting up a "regulatory system" that would require reporting of all ammo purchases (buyer, caliber, quantity) to the state police. I suppose they might let us print out COE type forms to report a person to person, but somehow I doubt it.

You are exempt from this BS my friend. In fact, you are exempt from just about all of the BS laws they are trying to pass. Makes me want to be LEO, or even better, DHS! Those guys and gals will be the US-version of the SS from Nazi Germany within the next 50 years. I'd like to be a traitor within their ranks!

Traitors within their ranks will be the oathkeepers of today who have the courage of their convictions.

Yes, all that would be allowed would be person to person sales. Basically you would have to walk into a brick and mortar store, be identified and complete the sale. Since finding ammo in NJ is tough anyway, I see myself crossing the border to PA of DE for ammo purchases if this goes through.

Well, I've been told that some shops in PA have, since the madness in NY, put up signs which read "No sales of guns/ammo to NY residents". No reason why they wouuldn't do the same to us.

You are exempt from this BS my friend. In fact, you are exempt from just about all of the BS laws they are trying to pass. Makes me want to be LEO, or even better, DHS! Those guys and gals will be the US-version of the SS from Nazi Germany within the next 50 years. I'd like to be a traitor within their ranks!

incorrect...they (dhs) are the modern geheime statsipolizei....aka gestapo

Forgive my ignorance on all the laws that has been discussed/currently being discussed in the senate sessions. I've tried to follow where these bills are and what their status is. I know a bunch of bills were "recorded" on Tuesday 4/30, this A3666 being one of them. What exactly does that mean - is this a done deal, no ability to purchase ammo online? Or are these bills still going to be voted on?

I've been writing all the members of the senate committee with a bunch of concerns as I'm sure all of you have - my point with this one is that it effectively does away with 2A, as we have to rely on the limited number of stores in NJ to have adequate stock at all times - this is physically impossible...no ammo=infringement of 2A. The empty shelves on all the shops I go to is clear evidence of this issue.

Not to stir up another hornet's nest here, but what do FFLs think, in their hearts of hearts, about online ammo sales and the possible prohibition?

I've had somewhat of a change of heart with respect to our governor. I no longer trust that he will necessarily do the right thing once these bills are on his desk. Or what will happen if he vetoes them.

Not to stir up another hornet's nest here, but what do FFLs think, in their hearts of hearts, about online ammo sales and the possible prohibition?

I've had somewhat of a change of heart with respect to our governor. I no longer trust that he will necessarily do the right thing once these bills are on his desk. Or what will happen if he vetoes them.

Even though I kind of like our governor (mostly for his fiscal responsibility and his colorful personality), he has proven time and again that his foremost consideration in making decisions is what's best for him.  I'm just hoping that he decides that it will benefit him politically to veto the recent wave of anti-gun legislation.

Even though I kind of like our governor (mostly for his fiscal responsibility and his colorful personality), he has proven time and again that his foremost consideration in making decisions is what's best for him.  I'm just hoping that he decides that it will benefit him politically to veto the recent wave of anti-gun legislation.

I think he will.  Most voters are really short-sighted.  I think the emotional impact of the Newton tragedy has worn off on every day people.  It's the antis who keep pushing this issue.  Christie should veto it if he has aspirations for a higher office, as most people say he does.

he pretty much has to veto it...otherwise he is done as a candidate

As a Republican. But he could switch parties.

And he's not necessarily done, but if he does we should constantly remind the public, especially the South that this guy is bad news. 

Remember Romney signed an AWB in MA and was quite happy about it. 

I think he will.  Most voters are really short-sighted.  I think the emotional impact of the Newton tragedy has worn off on every day people.  It's the antis who keep pushing this issue.  Christie should veto it if he has aspirations for a higher office, as most people say he does.

The MAIG 100 day "No More Names" bus tour made their second stop in Augusta, ME yesterday. They aren't going away anytime soon.

http://nomorenames.org/blog/2013/06/no-more-names-comes-to-augusta-maine/

I hope they go to Chicago, IL before the summer ends. Last weekend's 7 deaths and 41 injured in various shootings has to be some sort of high watermark for Chiraq.

That group is pathetic. Instead of lecturing people in a must-issue state that ranks 42nd nationwide in murder rate, why don't they go to other states and urge couples to stay together, not have children out of wedlock, take initiatives to prevent teenage pregnancy, stay off welfare, make sure their kids are doing their school work instead of hanging out on street corners, etc. 

Oh, I forgot. That would involve actually fixing the problem. And it is not a problem in Maine.

Everyone knows what the problem is, and where it resides. 

As a Republican. But he could switch parties.

And he's not necessarily done, but if he does we should constantly remind the public, especially the South that this guy is bad news. 

Christie doesn't have a political death wish and what happened to Arlen Specter is a reminder of how the Democrats treat turncoats.

He'd be voting against his own party in NJ if he signed this mess.

It won't play in Louisiana in 2016, either.

I do expect that we'll get to hear an amazing speech from him.

So I just ordered ammo from bulkammo.com an when I submitted my order I was hit with a "nj compliancy" page where I had to submit a copy of my fid card since I was buying handgun ammo. I called them up to inquire as to why since I've never had to show proof online before. It was really no big deal, snapped a pic of the fid with my phone and submitted it. Now it's on file and I don't do it again. I was talking to a very nice fellow. He informed me their company has been doing it for a while. When I asked why I've been able to order tons of ammo online without said process he said that the other sites were actually in violation of nj law and could be subject to lawsuit if they were caught.

I also asked if he's been hearing about the bs going on now and are they just going to drop nj and he assured me that his company will push the envelope on compliance as long as they can to be able to keep nj residents as customers. At least there's one company/site willing to help us.

... When I asked why I've been able to order tons of ammo online without said process he said that the other sites were actually in violation of nj law and could be subject to lawsuit if they were caught. ...

Gotta shut this rumor down before it goes further:

Here's the deal - if you're *SUBJECT TO NEW JERSEY LAW* (meaning you're physically in the state of New Jersey), then it is illegal for you to either sell handgun ammunition to someone who doesn't either have a FID card or a Pistol Purchase Permit or to *RECEIVE* handgun ammunition if you don't have a FID card or Pistol Purchase Permit.

Bulkammo.com ships from Georgia (at least they did for my last order), so I assume they're located in Georgia.  As a retailer in Georgia, they are subject to Georgia and Federal law, but not New Jersey law. 

If bulkammo.com ships handgun ammo to someone in NJ who doesn't have a FID, bulkammo.com has not broken any law that they are subject to.  However, the person who *RECEIVES* the handgun ammo in NJ will have broken a law if they don't have a FID card or a Pistol Purchase Permit at the time they receive the ammo from bulkammo.

What bulkammo.com is doing by requiring evidence of FID possession before shipping handgun ammo is attempting to ensure that their NJ customers are not breaking NJ law.  However, they are doing that by choice - Bulkammo.com is *NOT* obligated to follow NJ law, and could choose not to require evidence of FID.

Said another way - ammo retailers in states outside of NJ are *NOT* breaking NJ law if they don't require evidence of FID (or Pistol Purchase Permit).  A NJ agency could try to bring suit against them, but the Georgia judge (or whatever other jurisdiction outside of NJ the retailer might be in) should dismiss the suit because they are not subject to this NJ law.

Those ammo retailers outside of NJ that do require FID's are attempting to make sure their NJ customers are not breaking NJ law.

Gotta shut this rumor down before it goes further:

Here's the deal - if you're *SUBJECT TO NEW JERSEY LAW* (meaning you're physically in the state of New Jersey), then it is illegal for you to either sell handgun ammunition to someone who doesn't either have a FID card or a Pistol Purchase Permit or to *RECEIVE* handgun ammunition if you don't have a FID card or Pistol Purchase Permit.

Bulkammo.com ships from Georgia (at least they did for my last order), so I assume they're located in Georgia.  As a retailer in Georgia, they are subject to Georgia and Federal law, but not New Jersey law. 

If bulkammo.com ships handgun ammo to someone in NJ who doesn't have a FID, bulkammo.com has not broken any law that they are subject to.  However, the person who *RECEIVES* the handgun ammo in NJ will have broken a law if they don't have a FID card or a Pistol Purchase Permit at the time they receive the ammo from bulkammo.

Maybe that's why it opens them up to a lawsuit.. not a criminal charge?  What you said makes sense but it's not the first time I've seen the lawsuit thing..

Maybe that's why it opens them up to a lawsuit.. not a criminal charge?  What you said makes sense but it's not the first time I've seen the lawsuit thing..

Anyone can file a lawsuit against anyone else for anything, but not every lawsuit has a chance of being successful.  I have yet to see an example of NJ filing a lawsuit against an out-of-state ammunition retailer for not collecting FID information, let alone *winning* such a lawsuit.

Anyone can file a lawsuit against anyone else for anything, but not every lawsuit has a chance of being successful.  I have yet to see an example of NJ filing a lawsuit against an out-of-state ammunition retailer for not collecting FID information, let alone *winning* such a lawsuit.

You don't have to "win" to win.  The threat of a lawsuit by the State of NJ may be enough to scare retailers..

He did tell me they were served with an injunction from mass and the have since stopped shipping any ammo whatsoever to mass. Again just what the guy on the phone told me.

So a Massachusetts agency can serve an injunction on a Georgia company?  I highly doubt it.  More likely the Mass. A.G. sent some very mean sounding letters.