Somebody (NJ2AS?) needs to remind someone that the "I" in NICS stands for "Instant". The NRA helped promote NICS because it eliminated the mandatory waiting periods in states that had those - gee guess what we have now? Defacto waiting periods.

I'm trying to find out more about the system, how and by whom it's administered, so that we can direct some constructive criticism their way. I.E. What company is the third party that does the actual NICS checks? Do they do anything beyond just phoning the FBI database and getting a yea or a nay? I mean, is there a local component to the check or do they just rely on the federal database? How long is the contract for? Are copies of the contract available under OPRA? Is the company so behind because they do not want to pay for additional manpower, or because of contractual obligations they are unable to hire more help?

If we clarify some of these issues we can form a better plan of attack as to how to remedy this, obviously broken system.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Back in my day I could buy a newspaper for a nickel, and get a nics check back in 5 minutes. Damn kids with your panic buying get off my lawn.

Heres what the njsp site says... I don't see anything about a 3rd party.

National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NCIC)Criminal Information UnitThe New Jersey State Police (NJSP) NICS Operation Center conducts background checks for Federal Firearms Licensees (FFL) on prospective firearm purchasers in accordance with the provisions set fort in the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act, 18 U.S.C. Section 922. The NICS Operation Center transmits a formatted message to the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) NICS Operation Center accessing the Interstate Identification Index (III), National Crime Information Center (NCIC) hot files and the NICS Index. In addition to these files the NJSP NICS Operation Center accesses the following New Jersey data bases: the Administrative Office of the Courts (AOC) Domestic Violence Central Registry, the Division of Mental Health Services (DMHS) Census and USTF databases, the New Jersey Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) files and the NJSP Firearms Investigations Unit files.

Also found this. This site states that the shop can contact the local pd and have them conduct a NICS check. Any truth behind this?

http://smartgunlaws....-in-new-jersey/

REALLY?

You're going to rely on information from that website?

logo-2.png

Thankfully, despite the explosion of litigation, courts across the country have rejected the overwhelming majority of Second Amendment challenges initiated since Heller. Gun rights advocates and criminal defendants across the country have sought to expand the Second Amendment to invalidate almost every gun law on the books today. In siding with us and the majority of Americans who support sensible gun laws, courts are finding that smart laws aren’t just constitutional – they’re also critical to keeping our communities safe from gun violence.
:suicide:

I just have been going to PA for my last two long guns! Yugo Mauser from cabelas and a "Garand Guy" Garand from Sarcos!!!! OOOOOHH YEAAA! PA is truly instant. You are sort of stuck with our not so instant check if you want a pistol.

I just have been going to PA for my last two long guns! Yugo Mauser from cabelas and a "Garand Guy" Garand from Sarcos!!!! OOOOOHH YEAAA! PA is truly instant. You are sort of stuck with our not so instant check if you want a pistol.

So if an NJ resident buys a long gun in PA the instant check is done by the seller in PA, but if an NJ resident buys a pistol to NICS check is done by an FFL in NJ. Is that how it works?

So if an NJ resident buys a long gun in PA the instant check is done by the seller in PA, but if an NJ resident buys a pistol to NICS check is done by an FFL in NJ. Is that how it works?

as far as I know I have purchased a pistol online and was shipped to ffl (paid out of state shipped to NJ FFL and Check was done). I know that if a handgun is purchased out of state you pay at the store, then pay to ship, then pay ffl transfer fee.

Yes, rifles can be purchased and brought home out of state. Because of our permit system, handguns purchased out of state have to be shipped to a NJ FFL where a NICS will be performed.

Federal law requires handguns to be purchased in one's state of residence.

Well today marks day 7 in my brothers wait for his instant check. Sadly, since it was a handgun he had no recourse as buying out of state would not have sped things up, hell likely would take longer as he would have to wait for it to ship then the true waiting would begin and thats assuming no delay cause the ffl wasnt on file with seller. He was so excited to be purchasing his first gun. The 2 month wait for the fpid and ptp dampened his enthusiasm some. The odd story that the city hadnt gotten his prints back and were waiting for them to be mailed had a bad odor about it. Especially when morpho and the state claim they were received the Next day. I couldnt help but get caught up in his excitement as he made his final choice, then share in his dejection at being told it would be three days before he got it. That was now 7 days ago and no estimate as to how much longer. This is sad. If you are denied or to use the nics term you are delayed you have a clear recourse. But your instant check takes a week, you must wait. I had always been under the impression that instant was an infinitesimal space of time so I must not understand what infinitesimal means, which I had believed it was a number very close to but slightly more than zero. Although the dictionary seems to agree with me, I must surely be wrong cause the state tells me so.

They told me 5-7 days. I called on the 8th day and was told it's now 7-10 days. Been 12 days so far and still nothing.

This is nuts... bs... and aggrivating... i still camt believe this come day 8 for mine im having it sent next day to an ffl in pa... and just gunna grab it there. The hell with this state

I've bitched about this in multiple threads already, so i'm sorry for doing it again, but its just intolerable what is going here. I decided i wanted a 1911 in January. I immediatly purchased the gun and filed for my permit. I then waited 7 weeks for the permit to come, and have now been waiting an additional week for the NICS to come back. So two entire months and I still don't have the pistol i paid for... how is acceptable?