Aroon02

Bringing or carrying in Jamaica?

I hesitate to post at this point....but Jamaica even with it's issues has so much to offer. The country is beautiful,Tropical rain forest,great diving and fishing,excellent food,world class resorts,Port Royal,Kingston market,Jerk,Amazing rum,Jamaican cigars,Blue mountain coffee,Masish Water and Jerk,Acee and salt fish.natural ganja, fruit you have never seen before,Cricket and 5 pm tea,Red Stripe and, amazing beaches.

i work with a jamaican, his brother and his cousin. i asked him about the laws there (he has lived there, england and here). i was told that if you don't have a permit to own AND carry the cops won't even ask questions, they will just shoot you dead. his words not mine.

I could believe that.

I spent 10 years of my life growing up in Jamaica while my grandfather operated a resort along with another partner (will not name the company, it is well known and you likely seen the commercials on TV for it...), I lived in the parish of westmoreland (town of Negril, were the major resorts are based) and at 17 I had my license from the Firearms Licensing Authority (FLA) which issues permits to own a firearm/conceal carry a firearm in the country of Jamaica.

Let me tell you something about guns and Jamaica, they do not go together at all!

You cannot simply land at a port (air or sea) in Jamaica with a firearm or single round of ammunition, people have been sentenced to LIFE with HARD LABOUR for a SINGLE ROUND OF 22LR! Get caught with a handgun/shotgun/rifle/bb gun/airsoft gun/blow gun/etc. and expect a LIFE sentence!

If this isn't bad enough, the Govt. decided they needed a larger prison to lock up those caught with illegal firearms/ammunition and they build a compound that puts even the most secure US Federal prison to shame. Were talking no windows and horrible conditions, shit you cannot even begin to imagine.

It's the South Camp Adult Correctional Centre (dosen't sound too bad, right?) but the other name it goes by is the "Gun Court", now anything with the word "Gun" and "Court" in the same sentence is normally a bad thing but this takes it to a whole new level.

The Govt. performed a mass confiscation of firearms/ammunition and would close off towns/go street by street searching people and buildings/homes for illegal firearms. Today, this still takes place and when you see a half dozen white Toyota pickup trucks with guys carrying SMG's it's a sign they are about to conduct a massive search operation.

Those searches are done without ANY warrant and the JCF (Jamaica Constabulary Force) and JDF reserve (Jamaica Defence Force) have been known to conduct extrajudicial killings, forced disappearances, etc.. of persons that they feel have gone against the Govt. This isn't something that happens in tourist areas but in area like St James (Montego Bay) and St Andrew (Kingston).

Jamaica once allowed private ownership of small arms, that become very restrictive during the early 1970's.

Approx. 50,000 reigistered firearms exist in Jamaica, majority of those weapons are registered to private security firms (Atlas is one that comes to mind, similar to Brinks here in the states) and a small portion of those 50,000 firearms are owned by private persons.

To obtain the license (yes, a foreign national ie US citizen can apply) you need to be atleast 17 years of age and:

-Obtain a TRN (basically Jamaica's version of a Social Security Number ie taxpayer registration number. Foreign nationals can apply and it's simple for US citizens to obtain)

-Have no criminal background, they conduct a local and internation investigation to determine if you have ever been arrested.

-Provide several references from a JP (Justice of the Peace), Attorney, Medical Doctor, Military/Police officer.

-Undergo a medical examine by a licensed medical doctor in Jamaica

-Take a written and practical test, this involves live fire (range time).

-Have a secure location to store the firearms/ammunition. No, a safe isn't enough if you have first floor windows they must be barred and no I'm not joking! The safe and your home must also be inspected by the FLA to ensure it's "secure".

-You will be issued a permit valid for 30 or 60 days to obtain ONE firearm and a limited amount on ammunition (ie 100 rounds). You MUST keep track of the ammunition including spent shells! They can ask to see the spent shells and remaining live ammunition at ANY time! Here is the real kicker, you must be able to provide a serial number, cal, model and make of a firearm already in the country before the permit is issued so you better shop around at one of the 3 Govt. approved stores that are not open to anyone except license holders.

note- You can purchase additional firearms but I'm unsure how you go about this as I never purchased a second firearm.

-Now you have your firearm and ammunition but you have finished that limited stash of ammo so just go to the store and buy more, right? nope! you need approval to purchase additional ammunition!

-Ready to conceal carry that new handgun? one thing, the Govt. can block certain areas off from license holders at any given time (ie Prime Minister is in the area) or the Police/Military are conducting a "Joint Military Police Operation" so better call ahead (that's another story in itself) and make damn sure the area you are heading to is OK to carry in!

-Leaving the country to head back to your home in the states? Can't leave the guns or ammo in that expensive safe and barred house! Need to hand them over to someone who is approved (IE Police Station at the Airport) and pick it back up when you fly back in.

-And last but not least, if you ever loose any registered firearms you are in DEEP SHIT. Better pray that Glock turns up and file a report with the Police and FLA as soon as possible because they have the right to DEMAND you show up at the local Police Station every so often to make sure you haven't sold the gun to someone on the street.

Good luck and don't forget the thousands of dollars you will spend to obtain the permit, firearm and ammunition!

Just get one there. The taximan will get you in touch with the local rude boy....

Unfortunately that is exactly how you would go about it in most of the Caribbean.......

^ damn dude... and we think we got it bad...lol

Molon Labe

I'm still glad I was born and partially raised here in NJ even with our crazy laws, I value my guns and would never work in Jamaica EVER again.

Great place to vacation but if you value the right to bear arms it's about as bad as it gets.

Just get one there. The taximan will get you in touch with the local rude boy....

It's funny, last year I was in a food store over in the city and was talking to a guy I had known for a few years (a cashier). We started talking about guns and I was offered a Colt M16A2 with M203 launcher for $1,500 US dollars cash money out the back of the store, I walked away FAST and blocked it out as my ass was tightening up warning me of what the future would hold if I purchased it.

BTW, the cops recovered the M16 it was in the Jamaica Observer a few weeks later. The guy that had it went bye-bye and has never been heard from again...

Humn, yet Jamaica has a lot of competitive shooters who travel all over.... and Jamaica has a few IPSC matches....

how does that work?

Not sure, I'm not a competitive shooter I purchased a Browning pocket pistol in .380 to carry.

I have to look in the FLA licensing book I have and see if it makes any reference to that.

I hope this wasnt the OP

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/03/american-killed-jamaica-robbery_n_3377535.html?icid=maing-grid7|main5|dl15|sec3_lnk2%26pLid%3D321897

American Killed In Jamaica During Robbery, Police Say

06/02/13 06:08 PM ET EDT ap_wire.png

KINGSTON, Jamaica -- Two people, including a U.S. citizen, were fatally shot and a third person was wounded during a shooting that erupted when police confronted gunmen who were trying to rob a business in a coastal town in western Jamaica, authorities said Sunday.

Police did not release the American man's identity.

The Jamaica Observer said the U.S. man was hit in the crossfire between police and robbers Saturday evening in Savanna-La-Mar, the main town in the western parish of Westmoreland. It is not a community frequented by tourists.

In a statement, the Jamaica Constabulary Force gave few details. It said that shots were fired during the robbery and that a foreign national was killed and another person was wounded. It added that a fugitive identified only by the nickname "Bigga" also was shot and later pronounced dead at a hospital.

A police spokesman did not return calls seeking clarification on whether the American man was caught in crossfire between law enforcers and criminals as the local newspaper reported.

In the statement, police said a 9-mm pistol was seized from the man identified as Bigga, who it characterized as one of the parish's most wanted men. It said he was wanted for crimes including murder, rape and armed robbery.

An independent commission that investigates alleged abuses by Jamaica's security forces has started an investigation.

The U.S. Embassy said its officials had informed the American citizen's next of kin of his death and were awaiting an official report from Jamaican authorities.