jm1827

Recommend a good gun for the kids

I think it is time to start teaching my kids to shoot, they are old enough and hopefully I can now find the time.

I need some recommendations for a 22 for my kids, ages 13, 11 and 8. I am leaning toward a bolt action but would consider a single shot. I have glass I can put on it, was hoping to get them used to hitting paper @ 100 yards.

Thinking about a Savage MK-II or possibly a Marlin XT.

What would you suggest?

No experience with kids shooting em, but I have a Marlin XT-22 and love it. Dirt cheap, accurate, and reliable with any ammo I have ever fed it, as one would expect of any bolt action. I only wish I'd gotten the heavy barrel one, because that is more my style...I was impatient and didn't do any research when I purchased it... I probably will pick up the heavy barrel version eventually since I have a bunch of mags for the gun, and friends always love shooting it....

No connection to the seller, but I saw someone had a black standard XT22 posted on B&S earlier today.

Started all mine on bolt action. Even if you start them with one round they learn how to perform all the actions of shooting safely. As their comprehension of safety increases you can load more rounds. Nice thing about bolt action is they are quick and easy for them to learn to clean. I have been using a CZ 513. Accurate, simple, and cheap. After everybody is comfortable then put them on the AR!

What? No love for the Ruger 10/22? :)

Not as a teaching tool for children. A semiauto teaches children to just blast away. A single shot bolt action teaches them to take their time and make their shot count.

For a true child size rifle the Crickett is a decent entry rifle. http://www.crickett.com/

Your 13 yr old will need a larger rifle though. For that age I would consider a lever action rifle like a Henry 22.

For a true child size rifle the Crickett is a decent entry rifle. http://www.crickett.com/

+1 for this. My son has a Crickett and he loves it. It's actually an excellent rifle.

The problem I have with Henry .22 Lever action rifles is that you have to put your hand close to the barrel to reload them and you have a hard time shooting a lever-action in the prone. I would pick a Bolt-action Savage .22 for the older kid. It's magazine fed and the kid has to take his time with the bolt-action.

Older kids can shoot the Cricket pretty well - and you can get an adult stock for them.

Echo the advice to start with a bolt action. Younger kids and people who don't really "get" the mechanics can be skittish about semi-auto actions and clearing jams. I have a Savage MKII BTV that's a phenomenal 22 but it's too heavy for kids. Any generic magazine-fed bolt action 22 should be fine. Good luck.

Not as a teaching tool for children. A semiauto teaches children to just blast away. A single shot bolt action teaches them to take their time and make their shot count.

Your 13 yr old will need a larger rifle though. For that age I would consider a lever action rifle like a Henry 22.

^^^^^THIS^^^^^!

I started my now-23 yr. old on a Marlin "Little Buckaroo" .22 single-shot bolt action Youth Model 19 years ago when he was just 4, so I have 19 years experience with teaching kids gun safety. Now I'm a BSA Merit Badge Counselor for Rifle & Shotgun with the same Troop he Eagled in. A single-shot teaches safety AND discipline. A Henry .22 lever is also in the safe and will work fine for the oldest and isn't quite full-size so the youngest can still make it work (sort-of).

As to the safety of loading a lever: only load it when it's EMPTY, with an EMPTY chamber! Then push the spring-loaded rod in place under the barrel. Then work the action to chamber a round. Where folks get into trouble with a lever is IF they choose to "top-it-off" with a live round still in the chamber, so just don't do this, EVER!

If you want to see either of my guns in your kid's hands for a demo--just call me or PM me. Be glad to do it.

Dave

^^^^^THIS^^^^^!

I started my now-23 yr. old on a Marlin "Little Buckaroo" .22 single-shot bolt action Youth Model 19 years ago when he was just 4, so I have 19 years experience with teaching kids gun safety. Now I'm a BSA Merit Badge Counselor for Rifle & Shotgun with the same Troop he Eagled in. A single-shot teaches safety AND discipline. A Henry .22 lever is also in the safe and will work fine for the oldest and isn't quite full-size so the youngest can still make it work (sort-of).

As to the safety of loading a lever: only load it when it's EMPTY, with an EMPTY chamber! Then push the spring-loaded rod in place under the barrel. Then work the action to chamber a round. Where folks get into trouble with a lever is IF they choose to "top-it-off" with a live round still in the chamber, so just don't do this, EVER!

If you want to see either of my guns in your kid's hands for a demo--just call me or PM me. Be glad to do it.

Dave

I actually learned on a Marlin myself, unfortunately I sold it many years back.

I noticed Vernon in your home range section, I grew up in Vernon and also shot at Cherry Ridge

cz 452 scout model is what you want. I recently picked one up and can't believe the quality and the reviews are outstanding. It has hammer forged barrels, very clean and smooth action, single bolt action with 1 shot to 15 round magazines. I bought it to start training my son this summer

cz 452 scout model is what you want. I recently picked one up and can't believe the quality and the reviews are outstanding. It has hammer forged barrels, very clean and smooth action, single bolt action with 1 shot to 15 round magazines. I bought it to start training my son this summer

Thanks- looks like a nice gun!

That only applies if, as a parent, you are loading magazines to capacity and letting them blast away. If you only load one or two rounds into the magazine, you can achieve the same results about teaching them to make their shots count.

Having said that (and having taught my oldest to shoot with a 10/22), I plan on buying him a Cricket for "his" first rifle.

While I don't disagree with the sentiments of the value of a single shot or a bolt action, I have no problems with a semi for my kids and the reason is simple. If they can't LISTEN and FOLLOW the directive of one shot at a time, then they aren't ready for shooting. There are no chains to keep them from going down range when the line is hot, there is nothing to keep them from pointing the gun at others, etc. Only their willingness to listen and follow directions.

Here is their favorite to shoot, I built them this. A lightweight 16" barrel with a shorty stock. Perfect LOP for them.

post-3493-0-07033200-1363258263_thumb.jpg

Some recent targets -

post-3493-0-09615600-1363258274_thumb.jpg

XDM, very well said and I do agree with that sentiment

And I agree completely. The only flaw in that logic is that if I get the kids a semi-auto that I can use my wife would never let me get a second .22. But, if I get the kids a "starter" gun I could still probably convince my wife to get a semi-auto for her and me.

But, I do agree 100% with the concept.

single shot and/or bolt action. would start with iron sights than move on to optics. i prefer to keep things VERY simple when starting out. thats just me.

with that said glad to see others getting there kids involved in this wonderful safe legal tradition, sport, hobby, past time.

Nick

^^^^^THIS^^^^^!

Dave

Dave I will probably take you up on this offer. A couple years ago the kids held a Crikett at Cabelas. I took them to the range for the first time yesturday. They are old enough for the .22 round and I would like to get a rifle that fits them.

I'm going to be buying my 7 yr old a Savage Rascal here shortly. I told him he could have it for his 8th birthday but I'm the one that doesn't want to wait lol. He shoots my Mossberg Tactical but as someone else mentioned he just kind of blasts away until the mag is empty. Lever action is too difficult for him to manage so I think bolt or single-shot would be best.

I started the kids off with a chipmunk.  The 13 year old may have a full length reach you may be in for two 22's...nice thing about a bolt action is you can fire shorts great round for the younger crowd...

They only made the one model when i made my purchase.. now they have a bunch of models..

http://chipmunkrifles.com/

Well, after almost 6 months my FID change of address finally came through and after a bit of looking around I ended up purchasing a Savage Mark II 22LR.  Brought my son with me when I bought it, to say he was excited would be an understatement.

Can't wait for the NICS to clear so we can pick it up.  Luckily I still have some 22LR ammo to take him (and his sisters) shooting.

Now time to start looking for a .243 for me!

Best example to use is the Boy Scouts.  They start them out as Cubs on BB guns during day camp, them move them up to bolt-action .22s when they are 11-12 during summer camp.  My Troop usually has the first-year Boy Scouts (11-12 year olds) shoot a bit for familiarity during that week (and oh yeah....most all of em WANT to shoot).  If they are interested, they can go for the rifle merit badge during their second year of summer camp.  All the camps I have been to use quality bolt-action, single-shot .22 LR, be they Remingtons, Marlins, or the like.  They can also attempt the shotgun merit badge then...but if they are not already acquainted with a shotgun, they will have a tough time completing the merit badge.  Most of the camps use Remington 1100's fed singly.  

The advantage of the Boy Scout program is they are closely supervised and taught to understand what they are dealing with (i.e. this is a REAL gun, with potentially REAL-LIFE consequences).

As for the semi-autos, I know my son LOVES my Ruger 10-22 (he thinks its his...and it might be ;)