Barms

Woodland Park Range

On 6/24/2015 at 4:03 PM, HKHockey said:

My modest review of GFH -

Positives-

Very clean and modern

50 yard indoor range is nice

Relatively close to me (I live in Mahwah)

Friendly staff, everyone was extremely pleasant

There seem to be numerous new shooters here which im always happy to see

Negatives-

The wait...oh lord the wait... I went on a Saturday and waited close to 2 hours. Could have just driven down to Range-14 in that time (which was my first choice)

Price

I made 3 kids on a Boy's Scout trip cry by accident.  The concussion scared them. =/  Thats on me though lol

For me GFH is not the right fit.  If it were the only range in my area though I would certainly have no qualms (apart from the wait) going here as it is a super clean and friendly environment.  Always glad to see more options out there for NJ shooters !  I will continue to go to The Bullethole though for my pistol shooting and take the hike out to Range 14 for rifle.  Shooting rifle indoors is not really that enjoyable imo, but im glad GFH has a 50 yd range for people who cannot afford to take half a day to trek out to some of the other ranges.  

I'm from just down the road from you. It's a longer drive, but ever try RTSP. 

Has to be just as far as bullet hole.

I make it there in about 30-40 min. Could make it quicker, but drive a little slower then normal, don't need to get pulled over.

I'm a member. I go early on the weekends and hardly ever wait. When I go later the wait is the that bad. 

1 hour ago, bhunted said:

No pictures needed. I can see it from my house. 1 minute away. Lol...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Can you walk there carrying your stuff, or has this too, been made illegal?

That picture is old.  As you look at the progress as of today,  you get a sense of the magnitude of the new facility.   

The place is HUGE.  Need a picture from the Lackawanna side to really put things in perspective.

please think about the rifle shooters,  have ports designed with bench rest in mind.   nothing more frustrating than trying to zero a scope/red dot or shoot your .22 rifle and only having a 12" platform to  rest your gun, no room for bipod or sandbag or elbow. 

maybe a fold down elbow rest or some kind of bracket mounted to the wall so a rifle shooter can hook on their own arm rest for bench rest shooting.

• Like 2

please think about the rifle shooters,  have ports designed with bench rest in mind.   nothing more frustrating than trying to zero a scope/red dot or shoot your .22 rifle and only having a 12" platform to  rest your gun, no room for bipod or sandbag or elbow. 

maybe a fold down elbow rest or some kind of bracket mounted to the wall so a rifle shooter can hook on their own arm rest for bench rest shooting.

They have plates that can be set on top of the regular bench in the 50 yard range. They are kind of L shapes and can be fitted either way around to suit left or right handed shooters. Just ask the RO to set it up for you.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• Like 3

As I'm exploring firearms this summer, I'm also having fun checking out ranges. I enjoyed my first visit to the Woodland Park Range this week - treating myself to a rare day of hooky from work! First of all, a big "thank you" to @Gunsrlegal - a super-nice lady and Woodland Park range member who graciously invited me to try out her full-size M&P (not the Shield, which I tried at TTC). She did that to make a point - that people with small hands don't need to limit themselves to small guns. Her hands are very small (even a squeak smaller than mine) and yet, with a small back strap, she has found that gun to be VERY comfortable despite the double-stack... and thought I would too. I was surprised! Yeah, it was easy to shoot, very comfortable. (Eegads... why are my choices expanding rather than narrowing as I had hoped? LOL) Anyway, while there, I also saw @Sandywho runs the Second Amendment Women (SAW) group out of that range. Only met her once before... so that was a pleasant surprise too!

General Observations:

• Facilities - clean, contemporary design and bold black-white-red color scheme throughout the facility - a sharp-looking interior IMO! The range we were on was nice, too. The air felt good - not smoky at all. They have a tall counter behind the ports with lots of well-sized cubbies underneath to stash range bags (sheesh, why doesn't every range have that? I've been to some where you're just stashing them on the dirty floor or balancing them on too-narrow benches, etc.)... so, good interior design. The ladies' room was nice and clean. And YIKES, the size of that new construction is intriguing... I'll want to go back once that's open! I didn't have time to review the rental list - but I understand it's very large.
  • General Vibe - bustling! Keep in mind, I was there on a Tuesday morning - you'd think that was an off-hour, right? Well, LOTS of people were on the range, and more were coming in as I was leaving the parking lot. Goodness, they even have their little radio studio there! The whole operation lent the impression: "business is good".
  • Staff - first of all, the staff reflects the more diverse urban area - black/white/brown/male/female - this is definitely the place to bring someone who believes "only old white guys shoot". Poof!... it would dispel that notion in a heartbeat. From the front desk to the range officers, a good mix of people, and all friendly, professional and efficient. And I'm still pretty much a beginner, so maybe I'm wrong...but the range seemed particularly well-staffed compared to others I've seen...? Several ROs were standing facing the range - each a few feet apart so that between them I'm guessing they could survey all ports. They looked relaxed, yet alert ("lifeguard" vibe). Like, for instance, at one point our pistol was laid down and was pointed not quite DIRECTLY down range, maybe 20 degrees off-kilter -- RO appeared out of nowhere, quietly adjusted it with a gentle reminder. So, they're obviously taking in every little detail... which I think is good! Maybe some people resent that, but as a novice, I appreciate it. Oh, and speaking of efficiency, by that afternoon (just a few hours after I left the place) I already had an email in my inbox outlining some of their courses. Smart!

Unfortunately, it's a little too far to be a "regular" range for me - I have closer options - but it's one I'll probably go to once in awhile just for a fun change of pace and maybe to enjoy a rental or 2. And I can't wait to check out their new expansion when it opens! So, for anyone who hasn't been there, I give it a hearty "thumbs up"... it's well worth checking out! 

• Like 3

Excellent observation Peel, my only gripe about GFH is their pricing. Especially for rentals: 20 or $25 per each handgun + $29 box of ammo.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Join and rentals are free. Just pay for the range time and ammo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mrs. Peel said:

As I'm exploring firearms this summer, I'm also having fun checking out ranges. I enjoyed my first visit to the Woodland Park Range this week - treating myself to a rare day of hooky from work! First of all, a big "thank you" to @Gunsrlegal - a super-nice lady and Woodland Park range member who graciously invited me to try out her full-size M&P (not the Shield, which I tried at TTC). She did that to make a point - that people with small hands don't need to limit themselves to small guns. Her hands are very small (even a squeak smaller than mine) and yet, with a small back strap, she has found that gun to be VERY comfortable despite the double-stack... and thought I would too. I was surprised! Yeah, it was easy to shoot, very comfortable. (Eegads... why are my choices expanding rather than narrowing as I had hoped? LOL) Anyway, while there, I also saw @Sandywho runs the Second Amendment Women (SAW) group out of that range. Only met her once before... so that was a pleasant surprise too!

General Observations:

• Facilities - clean, contemporary design and bold black-white-red color scheme throughout the facility - a sharp-looking interior IMO! The range we were on was nice, too. The air felt good - not smoky at all. They have a tall counter behind the ports with lots of well-sized cubbies underneath to stash range bags (sheesh, why doesn't every range have that? I've been to some where you're just stashing them on the dirty floor or balancing them on too-narrow benches, etc.)... so, good interior design. The ladies' room was nice and clean. And YIKES, the size of that new construction is intriguing... I'll want to go back once that's open! I didn't have time to review the rental list - but I understand it's very large.
  • General Vibe - bustling! Keep in mind, I was there on a Tuesday morning - you'd think that was an off-hour, right? Well, LOTS of people were on the range, and more were coming in as I was leaving the parking lot. Goodness, they even have their little radio studio there! The whole operation lent the impression: "business is good".
  • Staff - first of all, the staff reflects the more diverse urban area - black/white/brown/male/female - this is definitely the place to bring someone who believes "only old white guys shoot". Poof!... it would dispel that notion in a heartbeat. From the front desk to the range officers, a good mix of people, and all friendly, professional and efficient. And I'm still pretty much a beginner, so maybe I'm wrong...but the range seemed particularly well-staffed compared to others I've seen...? Several ROs were standing facing the range - each a few feet apart so that between them I'm guessing they could survey all ports. They looked relaxed, yet alert ("lifeguard" vibe). Like, for instance, at one point our pistol was laid down and was pointed not quite DIRECTLY down range, maybe 20 degrees off-kilter -- RO appeared out of nowhere, quietly adjusted it with a gentle reminder. So, they're obviously taking in every little detail... which I think is good! Maybe some people resent that, but as a novice, I appreciate it. Oh, and speaking of efficiency, by that afternoon (just a few hours after I left the place) I already had an email in my inbox outlining some of their courses. Smart!

Unfortunately, it's a little too far to be a "regular" range for me - I have closer options - but it's one I'll probably go to once in awhile just for a fun change of pace and maybe to enjoy a rental or 2. And I can't wait to check out their new expansion when it opens! So, for anyone who hasn't been there, I give it a hearty "thumbs up"... it's well worth checking out! 

Thank you for the extensive and positive review. We aim to please (how tacky is that!). The casual observer does not realize what it takes to feed this machine and we are by choice labor intensive and I personally sweat all the small details with my staff (no man is an island). As you can see by the diversity of the clients as well, it is a game changer for the 2A community. We break the stereotypes every hour of every day and as a 2A advocate when many of those people leave the range with even a neutral opinion of our sport that is a win for all of us.

Thank you again and welcome to the GunForHire Family.

Anthony

On 6/26/2017 at 0:53 PM, Tilbius said:

anyone know when GFH's new construction is aimed to be finished? 

Hopefully early 2018!

• Like 2

On 6/26/2017 at 1:54 PM, fatty said:

100 yard?? :D

man I wish I had more time to hit the range... 

I miss being a member with $20 transfers.  Just can't swing the membership cost at the rate I'm visiting now with a bigger family

6 ports 50 and 60 ports 25, sorry.

• Like 1

6 ports 50 and 60 ports 25, sorry.

Thats sounds off. Am I missing something?
You have more than 6- 50 yrd ports now don't you? I forget because I use the 25 more.
And if that is correct, why not more 50s?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk