Barms

Woodland Park Range

I didnt go into the store but my friend had to buy ammo for the AR15. They had 223 and 5.56 NATO last night. Dont think it will be around too long with the weekend coming up and everyone wanting to try out the new range. Hopefully they limit the amount of ammo you can buy at one time so people get a chance to shoot at the range instead of people coming in and buying large quantities to store in their stash and horde.

I was in the Ottomanelli's last night. They have plenty of .223/5.56 for a good price if you are headed to the range this morning. Mike said he'd open at 8 for those who need ammo.

Went again last night, that makes 5 days in a row. YEE HAH!! :dancing: Tried out the 50yd with my scoped .22 rifles. Nice guy there shooting an AR who is former Marine taught me B.R.A.S.S. and also had a staff member explain to me about ballistic curve and why my shot was hitting higher at 50yds vs 25yds which it was zeroed at. Free shooting education.. love it! Best members, best staff, best range, super happy I joined.

I shot the 50 yard range with my colt 14.5" (pinned device) and my AR57 (which I almost sold--not now) and it was great. I'm very glad I joined. It takes 13 mins to get there and I haven't waited 1 minute yet.

Went again today at 5:30 and I was glad to see a few people on the range enjoying. Late Sunday afternoon is a great time for me and since its close by I can do that now.

Took my wife bright and early this morning. She liked shooting here and will be going back. She likes the people she has met and feels comfortable with everything.

If you were the couple that was there at 8:15am then I saw you - although didn't realize you were a forum member. I was shooting in port 7 with the buzzer and post-it notes.

Had a good session and it was nice and peaceful.

TheWombat

Hopefully a week or two he says...

Any update of the FFL , so that we can use their pistols?

Sent from John's iPad 2 via Tapatalk HD

Typos courtesy Apple...

What was the post it note idea?

What is the post it note idea?

Check my prior thread here: http://njgunforums.c...-8th-sept-2012/

The concept is to cover a larger target/cardboard/piece of paper with 10-20 Post-It Notes. You can vary the Post-It Notes by size (e.g. 3" square, 1 7/8" square), by color (red, green, blue, yellow etc) and by shape (square, rectangle, circle, star).

I then set the target at anywhere between 7 and 15 yards depending on what drills I am doing (or up to 20-25 yards if I combine Post-It Notes to make a larger shape).

I also have a buzzer/shot timer (CED 7000 - although you can download free shot timer apps for the iPhone/Android instead).

I then set the buzzer and run through a number of scenarios - the idea is to improve accuracy and consistency with additional pressure of smaller target, moving between targets, drawing from holster etc.

e.g.

1) buzzer, draw from holster, put 1 shot in a 3" Post-It Note at 5, 7, 10 or 15 yards in 1.5, 2.5, 3.0 or 3.5 seconds), reholster. You can adjust the distance and time based on your own level.

2) buzzer, draw from holster, put 1 shot in a blue 3" Post-It Note and 1 shot in a green 1 7/8" Post-It Note in 3 seconds at 'x' yards, reholster

etc etc etc. If you have a Shot Timer you can play with random delays, multiple par times etc and start to time your draw to first shot and subsequent shots.

I've listed some of the other scenarios I run through on the linked thread above.

I enjoy this type of training as:

a) It pushes me harder to focus on technique and adds stress. Most people can hit static paper shooting at their own pace

b) I've noticed real improvements quickly

c) I don't just go to the range and shoot 200-400 rounds - this way I shoot less rounds but get better results

d) Every range session I can try different scenarios, e.g. weak hand, strong hand, move a step to the left/right, smaller post it notes etc

e) If you are with someone then when the buzzer goes they can say a string of colors, shapes to shoot e.g. Blue, Blue, Green

f) It's much cheaper than buying lots of targets!

g) I can practise with my .22 conversion on my Sig, and if anyone looks at me and says .22 is for wimps I get them to try the exercises with their own weapon (or my Sig) - almost everyone struggles unless they have done similar things before.

h) I am seeing the time it takes to draw from holster, aim and hit a Post-It note reducing i.e. I am improving and it is easy to measure and keep track of.

In some of the Gun For Hire classes Joe/Chuck used Post-It notes, so I've taken the concept and expanded it to meet my needs.

hth

TheWombat

Thanks Wombat for the information on the post it notes. Great idea. I will use it myself some time. I have been doing something similar for years but with 1" to 1.5" orange dots on a larger target. Never timed myself though.

I took my wife out tonight for a date night at the range and she totally loved the place. After we had a panini at the cafe we did some target practicing with my Springfield 1911. She was so happy to be there that she kept loading up the magazines and firing away. We're planning on going back there this Friday.

Thanks Anthony for designing a first class range.

Gotta wait for the judge to sign off on it and send it back to the range. Hopefully a week...

The had lots of ammo there on Tuesday and the SP was due in later that day to inspect and hopefully approve for ammo sales.

Anyone know how it went?

I brought a co-worker there last night who had never shot before.  He loved it and is now hooked.  Great range and great people.  One of the RO was a member but forgot the name(sorry!)

I'd love to sign up for a membership but I will be moving out of state in the next 6 months.  At anyrate it's a great range and I can't wait to go back!

Wombat, using the app with the iphone does not fk up the the mic?

Cheers

I use a CED7000 timer, however I've tried the iphone app and not had any issues. Looking at the reviews of them on the iTunes store I've not seen any comments regarding the mic. Best to research if you have concerns, but I've seen nothing to suggest it would be an issue.

TheWombat