Barms

Woodland Park Range

Yes, it was PMC. I guess it was a fluke, one time issue. I just don't like to be overcharged x2 for ammo.

The only fluke I ever had was with Blazer 9mm, one FTE, and I spent a few hundred.

As for the price, it is like running out of gas and buying it from AAA. :shout:

I only buy ammo from them when renting a gun, so I don't know how they price it.  I do like being able to come straight there from work in NYC and shoot, though.  I keep an extra set of eyes/ears in my commuting car in case I get the hankering for some shooting.

I was actually there today around 3pm.  I was the only person on the 50yd range for 30 minutes, and then another 2 guys joined me.  It was very fun.

I haven't had the pleasure to shoot there...but am I to understand that in order to shoot their rental guns you are obliged to purchase solely their ammo?

..at what appears to be a rather inflated price?  ...

It depends. When I rented a 9mm, they gave me a mixed bag of reloaded, I think, and it was quite affordable. The 45 was expensive. But I don't own 45 yet and don't know the what price to expect.

It depends. When I rented a 9mm, they gave me a mixed bag of reloaded, I think, and it was quite affordable. The 45 was expensive. But I don't own 45 yet and don't know the what price to expect.

I was under the impression that some ranges require you shoot their new ammo in order to insure that reloads could not cause possible damage to the firearm and /or the shooter....but you shot their reloads through a rental firearm? OK then.

I was under the impression that some ranges require you shoot their new ammo in order to insure that reloads could not cause possible damage to the firearm and /or the shooter....but you shot their reloads through a rental firearm? OK then.

Some of the ammo is purchased in bulk 500-1000 round lots. The ammo is packaged in 50 round bags for purchase.

Some of the ammo is purchased in bulk 500-1000 round lots. The ammo is packaged in 50 round bags for purchase.

So they are not reloads then?

The ammo that we allow to be used with our rentals is mostly new bulk ammo, however we have recently made several trips to 3 large commercial reloading manufactures, in a effort to keep shooting components from going to the graveyard. We have brought in 3 lots to do our own quality control testing on. We do not reload ammo nor do we get it from some dudes in a basement. --- GFH

Reduce, reuse, recycle.

From my research most of the "commercial" reloading houses do a good job of making sure the cases are to spec; machines are more consistent and reliable than humans when it comes to measuring things. (hence why for the first time I just bought some from Freedom Ammunition.) If it means you can keep ammo in stock and at a reasonable price for use in the rental guns then more power to you.

The ammo that we allow to be used with our rentals is mostly new bulk ammo, however we have recently made several trips to 3 large commercial reloading manufactures, in a effort to keep shooting components from going to the graveyard. We have brought in 3 lots to do our own quality control testing on. We do not reload ammo nor do we get it from some dudes in a basement. --- GFH

Thanks Anthony, all clear now.

Yes, it was PMC.  I guess it was a fluke, one time issue.  I just don't like to be overcharged x2 for ammo.   

I try to buy PMC for all my guns when its on sale. I have NEVER had a problem with it in any of the handguns or the AR. 

The ammo when I purchased one time was x2 as it paid $30 for .40cal which is a bit excessive. That would really be my ONLY slight complaint about GFH, everything else has been absolutely great. 

I agree that the GFH range is way above NJ standards.  That's the place I will take my wife and her female friends to introduce her to 2A and gun experience.  I don't want them to get a bad impression as I want the ladies to be pro 2A.

Your wife and her female? Hopefully "friend" was omitted in your post.

As I see it we'll see the high and ultra high end ranges thriving in the northern part of the state to cater to the well heeled high earners who work in NYC but is frustrated by not only the laws but the lack of ranges. These range owners saw and filled the need for a "full service" shooting experience and at great expense filled that need and is reaping the rewards.... bravo.

Now to initiate a full service range with their elevated services and prices may be a harder sell in central and south Jersey simply because the demographic is vastly different and not as abiding of cost related perks....

Now to initiate a full service range with their elevated services and prices may be a harder sell in central and south Jersey simply because the demographic is vastly different and not as abiding of cost related perks....

For the public it's $25/hour, for me as a member it's $10/hour on the 25-yard range.  Just about the same price, and cheaper than other ranges in the immediate vicinity.  There aren't really any "perks" or "elevated prices" - it's just a much nicer, brighter, wider and bigger range than some of the s-holes further south.  I would never shoot indoors if I had to go there.

For the public it's $25/hour, for me as a member it's $10/hour on the 25-yard range.  Just about the same price, and cheaper than other ranges in the immediate vicinity.  There aren't really any "perks" or "elevated prices" - it's just a much nicer, brighter, wider and bigger range than some of the s-holes further south.  I would never shoot indoors if I had to go there.

....so what is your yearly membership? Mine is $225.00 a year and I don't pay any extra for a lane, shoot as long as I want as long as there is no one waiting for the lane, my wife frequently shoots for free and  while not as large and advanced as some of the newer up north which offers some "Platinum" memberships for more than $1200.00/year it  fit's my needs.

....so what is your yearly membership? Mine is $225.00 a year and I don't pay any extra for a lane, shoot as long as I want as long as there is no one waiting for the lane, my wife frequently shoots for free and  while not as large and advanced as some of the newer up north which offers some "Platinum" memberships for more than $1200.00/year it  fit's my needs.

My membership was $250, IIRC.  The platinum is more than that, but few people have those.  

Mostly what I like about GFH/WPR is the completely friendliness and professionalism of every single employee.  I've never seen even the slightest hint of rudeness, shortness or any negative behavior from anyone there, and they must have 20+ people working there most of the time.  After your second trip, the RSO's are more like helpful friends who keep out of your way than RSOs.  It's much different that all the other ranges I've been to.  Most ranges have some nice RSO's and some assholes.  There are 0 of that kind at GFH.

I've never seen even the slightest hint of rudeness, shortness or any negative behavior from anyone there, a

Regardless of how many customers are there or how long the lines are, the staff somehow manages to stay upbeat.

Must be the daily beatings Anthony doles out to keep the morale so high.

Regardless of how many customers are there or how long the lines are, the staff somehow manages to stay upbeat.

Must be the daily beatings Anthony doles out to keep the morale so high.

...bribes them with many cookies and PaSTRiEs! ;)

Sent from my iPad 2 using T2 Pro

Mostly what I like about GFH/WPR is the completely friendliness and professionalism of every single employee.  I've never seen even the slightest hint of rudeness, shortness or any negative behavior from anyone there, and they must have 20+ people working there most of the time.  After your second trip, the RSO's are more like helpful friends who keep out of your way than RSOs.  It's much different that all the other ranges I've been to.  Most ranges have some nice RSO's and some assholes.  There are 0 of that kind at GFH.

I agree, I have been going at 8am for open on either Saturdays or Sundays and even though Im like the first person through the door at 8am on a Sunday the staff has been nothing short of top notch! 

Can't say enough good things about the range or staff. Only complaint which happened today was my fiancé and I were shooting a .22 and right next to is some guys were shooting what looked to be a SBR in 7.62. Didn't make for an enjoyable range experience for her

Can't say enough good things about the range or staff. Only complaint which happened today was my fiancé and I were shooting a .22 and right next to is some guys were shooting what looked to be a SBR in 7.62. Didn't make for an enjoyable range experience for her