Barms

Woodland Park Range

Finally got my ass over to Woodland Park Range for the first time this weekend.  Great experience!  I had the pleasure of introducing an old friend of mine to firearms and the shooting sports there.  Wise decision. 

I'm sure I'm not saying anything new here, but here's my experience/review:

There's no better indoor range that I have been to (and I've been to my share around the country).  First off, if you haven't been, this place is not simply a range!  It's a world class training academy, shooting sport shop, radio broadcast studio, political headquarters, and learning center, with a 19 port range and a 100+ gun library to rent.  And it feels like it!  I did not feel like I was walking into a gun range, and it felt good.  I thought I was back down at Rutgers or some shit.  There's the cafe right when you walk in on the right, and then you meet two nice receptionists at the desks through the double doors on the left, who are pleasant and quick to get you going and set up on whatever business you are there to attend to. 

It was saturday afternoon, a little after one, so the joint was a bustlin'. People were coming and going.  Some were there for the range, some for training, others for the radio broadcast, or to pick up political material.  As I waited for my newbie, I was able to observe some of the Atienza Kali Protective Pen class right from the hall of the lobby.  The facility's invitingness for interaction comes from its layout.  Large windows, sliding glass doors, ease of accessibility to traning rooms and port areas made for a participatorial feel.  Even though we were just there to shoot, we also had a chance to experience the training, radio, and political side of the academy.  There are offices up front with doors open and personnel ready to assist you.  An old family friend who works there came over to say hello, and when the owner saw me in the hall later he greeted me and we shook hands.  That welcoming familial attitude that Anthony delivers, trickles down through his entire staff.  To have a new apprehensive female shooter walk-in and experience all this, helped make what was conceptually for her to be a harrowing experience, that much easier.  I feel like a lot of the first time shooter anxiety and nervousness was subdued by the environment here.  

After we filled out our paperwork for first-time visitors up front, we headed back to the 25 yard ports and the rental counter.  I brought several guns of my own and rented a 22.  The place was busy so they told me there was going to be a wait, which was fine by me, because I could use a snack.  We went to the Rifle Camp Cafe up front, grabbed a couple of drinks, and before I even had the chance to order food, one of the ROs in the cafe called my name and said my port was ready.  See, the enitre staff is wired like secret service and communicating from the front to the back, addressing customer needs.  It was an impressive operation, especially for being in business for such a short time.  

When we got into the ports I was pleased to see an RO working there that I have participated in shooting competitions with, giving me that, "for us, by us" kind of feeling about the place  Another RO introduced us to the operation of the digital port interface, which was extremely nice and simple to use.  We had a couple shooters to our left who were shooting a high powered rifle that my guest was not ready for, so I asked the RO if we could move to another port, and he graciously obliged.  Again, the radio earpiece communication was used to relay this change to the range desk and make the whole process seamless. The facility provides shooters with their own area for supplies behind the port which is clearly numbered and defined, so no confusion with other guests.  I was easily able to fit my large range bag on a shelf, and there was plenty of other shelf space and cubbies to spare for jackets and other gear.  The quality and size of the ports was impressive.  I was able to stand in the port and assist my new shooter with ease. I didn't have any worries about the shooters next to me, as I have had at other establishments.  Besides the sound, you wouldn't have known they were there when you are in the port shooting, that's how large the thick steel dividers are. 

We had an excellent hour of range time.  My new shooter had a quality experience, is interested in the sport, wants to get her FIDC and get trained.  Shit, after her experience there, and telling her about all the oppressive gun laws in NJ, we may have even convinced this social worker to vote for Lonegan next week!  And at the end of the day, introducing folks to our world is what this is all about, right?  And, there's no better place to do it than Woodland Park Range.  If you haven't been, just go!  Wishes for much success here.  NJ needs this place!

Finally got my ass over to Woodland Park Range for the first time this weekend.  Great experience!  I had the pleasure of introducing an old friend of mine to firearms and the shooting sports there.  Wise decision. 

I'm sure I'm not saying anything new here, but here's my experience/review:

There's no better indoor range that I have been to (and I've been to my share around the country).  First off, if you haven't been, this place is not simply a range!  It's a world class training academy, shooting sport shop, radio broadcast studio, political headquarters, and learning center, with a 19 port range and a 100+ gun library to rent.  And it feels like it!  I did not feel like I was walking into a gun range, and it felt good.  I thought I was back down at Rutgers or some shit.  There's the cafe right when you walk in on the right, and then you meet two nice receptionists at the desks through the double doors on the left, who are pleasant and quick to get you going and set up on whatever business you are there to attend to. 

It was saturday afternoon, a little after one, so the joint was a bustlin'. People were coming and going.  Some were there for the range, some for training, others for the radio broadcast, or to pick up political material.  As I waited for my newbie, I was able to observe some of the Atienza Kali Protective Pen class right from the hall of the lobby.  The facility's invitingness for interaction comes from its layout.  Large windows, sliding glass doors, ease of accessibility to traning rooms and port areas made for a participatorial feel.  Even though we were just there to shoot, we also had a chance to experience the training, radio, and political side of the academy.  There are offices up front with doors open and personnel ready to assist you.  An old family friend who works there came over to say hello, and when the owner saw me in the hall later he greeted me and we shook hands.  That welcoming familial attitude that Anthony delivers, trickles down through his entire staff.  To have a new apprehensive female shooter walk-in and experience all this, helped make what was conceptually for her to be a harrowing experience, that much easier.  I feel like a lot of the first time shooter anxiety and nervousness was subdued by the environment here.  

After we filled out our paperwork for first-time visitors up front, we headed back to the 25 yard ports and the rental counter.  I brought several guns of my own and rented a 22.  The place was busy so they told me there was going to be a wait, which was fine by me, because I could use a snack.  We went to the Rifle Camp Cafe up front, grabbed a couple of drinks, and before I even had the chance to order food, one of the ROs in the cafe called my name and said my port was ready.  See, the enitre staff is wired like secret service and communicating from the front to the back, addressing customer needs.  It was an impressive operation, especially for being in business for such a short time.  

When we got into the ports I was pleased to see an RO working there that I have participated in shooting competitions with, giving me that, "for us, by us" kind of feeling about the place  Another RO introduced us to the operation of the digital port interface, which was extremely nice and simple to use.  We had a couple shooters to our left who were shooting a high powered rifle that my guest was not ready for, so I asked the RO if we could move to another port, and he graciously obliged.  Again, the radio earpiece communication was used to relay this change to the range desk and make the whole process seamless. The facility provides shooters with their own area for supplies behind the port which is clearly numbered and defined, so no confusion with other guests.  I was easily able to fit my large range bag on a shelf, and there was plenty of other shelf space and cubbies to spare for jackets and other gear.  The quality and size of the ports was impressive.  I was able to stand in the port and assist my new shooter with ease. I didn't have any worries about the shooters next to me, as I have had at other establishments.  Besides the sound, you wouldn't have known they were there when you are in the port shooting, that's how large the thick steel dividers are. 

We had an excellent hour of range time.  My new shooter had a quality experience, is interested in the sport, wants to get her FIDC and get trained.  Shit, after her experience there, and telling her about all the oppressive gun laws in NJ, we may have even convinced this social worker to vote for Lonegan next week!  And at the end of the day, introducing folks to our world is what this is all about, right?  And, there's no better place to do it than Woodland Park Range.  If you haven't been, just go!  Wishes for much success here.  NJ needs this place!

WOW, thank you much.

Anthony

Is there a request box for guns to add to the already very impressive library? If so, a CZ75 would be a great addition!

Poof! #48 and #50 are both CZ75's. http://gunforhire.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Gun-For-Hire-Rental-Menu-9-26-13.pdf

Ant

Anthony, my friends and I had a great time... they loved you.... my friend Alicia was saying how great you made it for her, being a woman. She was very comfortable.  

Thanks for everything...  

-Frank

Anthony. Do you list prices for the ammo for the rentals? Went during lunch today and rented for the first time. Saw the p226 9mm is out for service so I went for the ps90. I figure that's one of the more expensive rounds. Was too busy to ask the guy there but wondering what a box of 9mm and 45 go for for the rentals compared to if I was to just buy a box next door.

As for voting for the next gun. Sig P239 9mm!!!

Anthony. Do you list prices for the ammo for the rentals? Went during lunch today and rented for the first time. Saw the p226 9mm is out for service so I went for the ps90. I figure that's one of the more expensive rounds. Was too busy to ask the guy there but wondering what a box of 9mm and 45 go for for the rentals compared to if I was to just buy a box next door.

As for voting for the next gun. Sig P239 9mm!!!

The ammo prices are not posted because they fluctuate daily like pork belly's! As per our insurance rules you must use our ammo for rentals. Non members pay $5 per box more then members on rentals and range use.

I was there yesterday and had my brother and nephew in tow.  They had a blast and I would expect my brother would be joining.  I went through 100s of rounds of a new 5.56 load through my scar 16 (was phenomenally accurate) and my new Tavor.

I also got to see my buddy Jimmy which is always a plus.

I really love going to this place.  My brother and nephew couldn't believe how professional and friendly the staff was.  Of course the range is the attraction and never disappoints. Thank god I reload I'm not sure I could afford all the ammo I'm expending since this place opened.

Keep it going GFH.

anthony, do you happen to know which trigger is in the HK p30? and does it really suck as bad as everyone says it does?

Sux? Never heard it sucked. I have one. It's fine. Just dropped a lighter mainspring in and its even better. Otherwise they are all the same in P30s. Only exception might be the lem which brings it down to the spring I installed.

Sent from my iPhone using TT 2 Pro

Hey Anthony,happy New year.!

Will you guys do prints for a VA permit renewal or do you just do them for people who take your CCW course?

Thanks

Yes we do, The officer charges $20. Email [email protected] he will set up a time.

Ant

Hey Anthony thanks for the info. I met with Charlie,nice guy. He knows my cousin who was LE in Orange. Small world.

Charlie took care of everything for me. Stress free!! Great job and i didnt get bent over ! Thanks again !

Hey Anthony thanks for the info. I met with Charlie,nice guy. He knows my cousin who was LE in Orange. Small world.

Charlie took care of everything for me. Stress free!! Great job and i didnt get bent over ! Thanks again !

Great to hear!

Went here for the first time last Sunday morning.  It was a great experience from the time I walked through the door to the time I left.  Most important (to me) was the pleasant attitude and great customer service from the staff.  Everyone from the front desk, to the rental desk, to the range officers made me feel like an old friend they were happy to see.  The facilities were clean and well organized. And best of all, its only 15 minutes away.

I will definitely be back often and will bring others with me. 

always a good time there.  i rented today. shot like crap. seems to be the story of my life.  last sunday i probably shot better than I ever have.  i wonder if the slight differences between my sig (p226, standard grip, SRT) and theirs (e2 grip standard trigger reset) caused the issue, or it was my suckiness