Barms

Woodland Park Range

for me, the ammo cost will be the deciding factor on membership vs non-member. i may be transferring jobs much closer to there. if i can go during lunch, get a free rental assuming they'll have a gun i'd practice on, it's worth the extra cost to me upfront as i cant obviously go during lunch now. i'll definitely be using it hourly at a minimum, and im sure it will always be packed. people complain about the price, but that's what its like in NJ. not much we can do about it. and the market will support it. you can probably copy this or rtsp and put another one in bergen county off of 17 somewhere and that will be packed too.

The ammo will be reasonably priced. I want you to buy from us so no gouging for members, you will see.

Ant

How do we get in on one of the tours?

Although the membership price is much higher than I would like but this is literally 5 minutes away from my apartment which may push me into it.

As a new shooter I'm particularly interested to see the "gun library" in hopes that there will be a few that I want to try before I buy. Is this list available anywhere yet?

Decisions, decisions....

Typically I go to a range with the wife and share a port.

BH = 15 + 0 = 15

RTSP = 20 + 10 = 30

WPR = 25 + 15 = 40

G&S in Patterson has a $25 membership and 15.50 ( their ammo ) 22.50 ( your ammo ), 1/2 price for person to share. No lead ammo.

Do the math, no comparison.

Memberships at WPR provide 'benefits' I would most likely never use.

A break even point for the lowest membership would require hitting the range 11 times in a year, which is more then I currently do. Can't afford to go to any range as much as I'd like.

I'd expect with these prices the range would be in Upper Saddle River, have valet parking, and provide gun cleaning services after you use the range while you relax in the spa.

Personally:

For me RTSP is too far

Compared to WPR, BH 3 miles further, and G&S 3 miles closer.

WPR and RTSP have better parking.

Have not had a bad experience at any location. Although RTSP requires watching a video and signing your life away.

Just as I don't drive a BMW or Mercedes, can't afford them. I don't put people down who do.

To each their own. My Ford does the job it was designed to do well enough.

I'd hope that this new place does well, and diverts some people from places I may go to so wait times may drop.

Damn Gentlemen....the place just opened,most of us haven't even fired a shot there yet but we've already started complaining. I believe that any range that is opening now will be charging these prices and posting such restrictions because the market is flush with old and new shooters with few places to fire their expensive guns not to mention the massive investment not only in cash terms but time,energy and hassle. RTSP proved that fact with their pricing structure and rules while packing them in.

It's just a matter of time before older,established ranges who are open to the public slap a coat of paint on the walls and do the very same thing.

what makes you feel unsafe there? the range officers make sure everyone follows the rules.

The last few times I've been there they let way too many people in the range. I couldn't move. When people are bumping into you when you are reloading your gun you have too many people there. Haven't been back since. At rtsp you have a waiting area. At bh, you have room for 6 people tops behind a table

I have a home range, so I may or may not get to the new facility. I won't comment on pricing; not my place to criticize the business model, and I have no idea what kind of income stream is needed to make this a going concern. But I will say:

New range = Good!

50 yard line = Good! (this may get me there on occasion, if I need to get a 50 yd zero for bullseye-I can't do that at my home club.)

So I thought this Range was tied to Ottomanelli's, I guess not. This looks to be a Gun for Hire range. Either way it's a good thing...

http://us1.campaign-...e8&e=787a36b950

I still rather drive 1 hour to EFGA and shoot outdoors for as long as I want. I hate having to rush through my shooting sessions. Especially when I bring multiple firearms.

How dare they? How can they charge so much for a brand spanking new, state of the art, upscale facility?

I'm complaining. And while I'm at it, I'm writing a strongly written letter to Bentley Motorcars. They are also gouging us regular folk.

You know what? The state should take it over and redistribute the range time to everyone equally. I mean that would be more fair.

I actually hope they have velvet ropes.

Good luck Mr. Colandro

Damn Gentlemen....the place just opened,most of us haven't even fired a shot there yet but we've already started complaining. I believe that any range that is opening now will be charging these prices and posting such restrictions because the market is flush with old and new shooters with few places to fire their expensive guns not to mention the massive investment not only in cash terms but time,energy and hassle. RTSP proved that fact with their pricing structure and rules while packing them in.

It's just a matter of time before older,established ranges who are open to the public slap a coat of paint on the walls and do the very same thing.

^^^^^THIS^^^^^

Home Run for Duppie! If this business model produces results then ranges can be profitable. Several forum members are either spoiled, cheap, or in a dream world of their own. Just because you have a gun doesn't mean you have A RIGHT TO SHOOT IT FOR NEXT TO NUTHIN'!

Give this place a chance! Folks who will flock to it will help those of us who are less fortunate as the vacuum will leave shorter lines at prime time for the other commercial ranges. In addition, one has to give pause to consider that all of those additional Newbies cloggin'-up the NICS system buying their first "piece" will have to shoot it somewhere. The fact that our "hobby" is being inundated with Newbies is a double-edged sword: One one hand everybody is happy to learn that more folks are buying guns and exercising their 2A rights, and on the other hand, some here are getting "pissy" that they're forced to wait in line to shoot. You can't have it both ways folks, so just get-over it! I wish this new endeavor great success now and in the future, and look forward to seeing other franchised locations!

Dave

Decisions, decisions....

Typically I go to a range with the wife and share a port.

BH = 15 + 0 = 15

RTSP = 20 + 10 = 30

WPR = 25 + 15 = 40

G&S in Patterson has a $25 membership and 15.50 ( their ammo ) 22.50 ( your ammo ), 1/2 price for person to share. No lead ammo.

Do the math, no comparison.

Memberships at WPR provide 'benefits' I would most likely never use.

A break even point for the lowest membership would require hitting the range 11 times in a year, which is more then I currently do. Can't afford to go to any range as much as I'd like.

I'd expect with these prices the range would be in Upper Saddle River, have valet parking, and provide gun cleaning services after you use the range while you relax in the spa.

Personally:

For me RTSP is too far

Compared to WPR, BH 3 miles further, and G&S 3 miles closer.

WPR and RTSP have better parking.

Have not had a bad experience at any location. Although RTSP requires watching a video and signing your life away.

Just as I don't drive a BMW or Mercedes, can't afford them. I don't put people down who do.

To each their own. My Ford does the job it was designed to do well enough.

I'd hope that this new place does well, and diverts some people from places I may go to so wait times may drop.

These are the kind of calculations that everyone is going to need to make. That's one of the beautiful things about capitalism: There are different price points, depending on what is looking for.

I love RTSP, the facility itself and the people there (but not the long waits). I would think that this new range will take some of the pressure off RTSP (not necessarily a good thing for them, as they have plans for a major expansion). But as much as I love it there, I'm going to need to take a serious look at this new place, as it's half the distance from my house, a mere 20 minute drive, versus nearly 40 minutes to RTSP.

Its like anything else. The cost and value of an item or service, is based on what the market will bear. I, for one, will happily pay extra to not have to sit around waiting. I value my free time more than the dollar premium to have that privilege. There are others who do not mind waiting, and others who can not afford the premium. As has been stated, there are options. I, for one, would not go to BH for free, and I was fan less than a month ago.

Conversely, I will happily pay a premium to Ant, for premium service.

If you want premium service you pay a premium price. That is what it is. Don't want premium service? Don't pay.

I ran into this same level of price complaining when I had my paintball fields. It took 1 year of 60 hour weeks for me to recoup my initial investment. But all everyone saw was the crowds of people and everyone is a math whiz, so they figured I was rolling in it. Guess what? After lots of money, huge numbers of hours and endless work building my business brand and establishing a strong customer base and efficient operations, I had profited exactly zero dollars. My lowest paid employee had made more money than I did that first year. And if the business had failed, the only person on the hook was me, my house and my family. After that, I did well, but everyone forgets that the profits have to pay back the initial investment before the owner makes dollar one.

I have a guess how much something like this costs. I am assuming about $5Million dollars, and I am betting that that number is low. (shooting lanes cost $100K each, look it up)

Lets assume that the range is FULL, all 19 lanes, for 8 hours a day. 19 lanes x $25 per hour, x 8 hours = $3800 per day.

Lets also assume that it is all profit. Electric is free, labor is free, no taxes, etc. $3800 x 363 Days = $1,379,400. If $5Million is a good guess, and the range is full every day, and everyone works for free and electric and rent are free, it will take 3.6 YEARS to make back initial investment. Then you can start making some money.

It take bravery and skill to put something like this together. I commend Ant for this and I will be a client.

I'm one of those that complained about their price structure. I feel some of you are misstating my opinion on the matter, either because you don't get it or are doing it on purpose.

I'll make it really easy:

It's their place.They can charge whatever they want.

It's my money. I'm free to spend it wherever I want.

I'm free to think that their fees are completely unreasonable.

They are free to think I'm a cheap ass bastard.

At the end of the day, both of us walk away happy: them, with a brand spanking range with all the memberships sold withing hours and me, with a couple dollars in my pocket.

With all honesty, I wish them well and I have no doubt they will be wildly successful. I may even stop by once in a while. I will not take a large second mortgage for a full deal membership or small one for a stripped out membership, though.

But that's just me and life is good.

I agree! If I'm going to pay that much money for a range membership it better be in a nicer area and most of all a private range not one open to the public. I'm sure it cost a small fortune to open up a new indoor range but you can't expect to make most of your money back the first year. As far as the other 2 stripped down memberships, the amount of times you need to frequent the range to break even is way over the amount of times I could go but that's me. If it works for you great but in my estimation I couldn't justify it.

This is the beauty of freedom, opinions, options, etc.

There are a number of ranges to choose from, different ranges have different fees (incurred different ways by the shooters), we the people can choose which range to use, everyone is entitled to his/her opinion, and no one's opinion is right or wrong---it's an opinion.

These days, to see anything positive about firearms---including the opening of a brand-new range---is good for our community.

As for me, I will gladly support this new range because it meets all of my needs/wants for a range and is less than 15-minutes from my home. I've been to the Bullet Hole, now I have what I consider to be a better option. I'm looking forward to the tour, to joining the range, and to taking my first shots at this range.

The best of luck to Anthony and everyone at Gun For Hire! :good: