dman2112

Does anyone know this?

If I buy a long gun in NJ, it goes through NJ nics , so I assume its registered here. If I buy in PA, I do a PA NICS but show my FID. Does PA, in turn, forward that sale to NJ?

I moved here from CA, and most of my hardware was purchased there, so NJ has no data on those unless I volunteer it by registering them (not)

Not sure how much reproving is here??

Ok. Nobody knows.

Neither NJ or PA have long gun registration, so the answer is NO.

ETA: In fact, there is no handgun registration in NJ unless you purchase one while you are NJ resident. Moving into NJ with your handguns or inheriting them as a NJ resident eliminates the registration.

Sent from my DROID4

ETA: In fact, there is no handgun registration in NJ unless you purchase one while you are NJ resident. Moving into NJ with your handguns or inheriting them as a NJ resident eliminates the registration.

That makes no sense, why have any registration in NJ if not all ( and I don't advocate this) handguns are registered. With a mobile nation registration would have to be on a national level or not at all. Interesting laws we have.

That makes no sense, why have any registration in NJ ....

If New Jersey's firearms laws haven't made your head explode already....

I'm too lazy to look up the case, but I thought I remember that NJ's SC ruled that even if a firearm was not legally purchased in the state if it was acquired outside of the statute of limitations, then possession of that firearm is not a criminal offense. NJ's 1966 laws were written to control guns at the time of purchase, the only gun registration is voluntary, and there are a lot of seemingly illogical things that follow from that. There are records from all the pistol permits from the last 46 years, but an unknown number were legally acquired prior to the laws, an unknown number were legally brought into the state after the laws, and an unknown number were illegally purchased since the laws.

I've had this discussion with colleagues -- nobody really knows how many guns there are in the USA. And who has them. 300,000,000 is my guess, but it's just a guess. We have more guns in the US -- total and per capita -- than any other country, that's something that everybody agrees about.

What gun grabbers find impossible to wrap their minds around is that with the number of firearms as large as it is, it's impossible to even register them all, and if they really want to do something about gun violence, they need to consider another approach. (I could also argue that what most liberal anti-gun politicians want to control isn't gun violence, but that's another thread.)

So, no, it doesn't make any sense at all.

total-gun-ownership.jpg

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the dealer keep a copy of 4473? And I think the ATF also retains a copy for weapons traces? That would mean, while the long gun isn't techincally regiastered in some grand database, if you were being investigated for some reason, by checking the NICS system/ATF records, seeing you made purchases at such-and-such dealer on such-and-such dates, they call the dealer and get the gun info, or simply get it from the ATF.

Or, if mass confiscation ever happens, they simply pull all ATF/dealer records.

So I wouldn't say "nobody knows", I'd say "nobody knows... until they want to know."

OK then, another question. I bought a stripped lower for my AR from a ffl in NJ. Was told that it was just like a long gun purchase and had to do it that way because of serial number on lower. So, NJ doesn't know I own a AR lower? Went through nics and all. So, if they ban them they don't know I have it??? I kinda think they DO know and if they passed a ban I would get notice to turn it in.......if I still had it.

No. There's no mandatory gun registration in NJ except for handguns purchased in state.

EDIT: Looks like the 4473 does list the details. I suppose since the dealers keep copies of the 4473 that the ATF can get a copy of it? ATF works closely with the NJSP... so supposedly they can send you a notice to turn it in.

I picked up my Mosin Nagant at the Oaks gun show few months back. They called to do the background check right there and said i was good. I left with it on my back, no registration that i had to do to my knowledge.

This is as bad as the BB gun discussion!!!!!!!!!! There is NO gun (any type) registration of any type in NJ of any type. LOL.

However consider the paperwork you did to buy same and I would call it de facto registration. Do you really believe they destroy the records as they are supposed to do??

In NJ we have acquisiton, possession and NO registration.

Don't be fooled by the NICS checks being "deleted" after 48 hours, you know they are keeping them on file. EVERY NICS check ask whether it is a long gun or handgun. The NICS check number is recorded on the ATF's form 4473, which ALSO states which type of firearm it is and what the serial number is, etc...

The ATF is allowed to at ANY TIME to audit a FFL's records and go through all the 4473's, check their premises for correct security and firearms storage.

So to answer your question, is it technically registered in NJ when you purchase it in PA, no it is not. However there are dealer records, like the ATF form that will have your purchase on there. However, since NJ is voluntary registration, you will not be registered here UNLESS you go and register.

The bottom line is, WHATEVER you want to CALL it- yes: they know what you have. One way or the other. Unless a gun is old enough that is was purchased before backgrounds checks became law, in which case all those millions of guns are simply "out there". My mom has about 6.

The paper trail on long guns stops once a face to face occurs.

There is accountability at every step. Manufacturer to distributor to dealer to individual. Then every private sale generates a COE. So police can trace a gun by serial number. This is a good argument against registration.

So does that mean NJ knows about all the guns I purchased in Ca?

NO

If you bought guns from a dealer since 1995, they are listed on the 4473 that you filled out when you purchased them. The records are available to any LEA at their request. They also are retained by the dealer until he goes out of business, then they are turned over to ATF.

So, NJ does not know what you have and neither does ATF.

OK, this is how gun tracing works........

Police recover a Remington 870 shotgun (just using that as an example) from a crime scene. The PD asks the ATF to do a trace on the shotgun, because they have no way to trace it themselves. The ATF goes to the manufacturer (in this case Remington) or importer (this is why guns are import marked) and asks them who the sold the shotty to, they will tell them it was XYZ wholesaler. The ATF then goes to XYZ wholesaler and asks who they sold the shotty to, they say Bubba's gun shop. The ATF then goes to Bubba's and asks them for the 4473 to see who purchased it from there. The ATF then goes to the retail buyer (assuming they can find them) and asks them if they sold the gun or what happened to it since they bought it. If the gun was stolen, or a FTF sale was done (as PK90 said) in most states the paper trail dies there unless the seller knows who the buyer is.

In NJ the PD can look up any Handguns bought with a NJ permit or voluntarily registered, but not long guns.

So, if the PD (or whatever force the govt decides to use for confiscation) decides to "disarm Hackettstown", they could start by going to Walt's (Hackettstown Guns and Ammo), pulling ALL the 4473s, then they have a "partial registry" of Hackettstown... Of course they won't know where ALL the guns are, but they'll know where to go first. Long guns included.

Multiply by every gun dealer in the state.

Am I wrong?

I bought the new one but haven't watched it yet. But if you remember when they take over the town they send soldiers to the general store to get the addresses of all the gun sales. I obviously know its a movie but it is the same concept.