RobertJames

Alternatives to EOTech ?

I want an EOTech, but sadly I cannot afford one right now. I currently have an ACOG knock off on top of my AR which is great for what it is. I'm not thrilled with it's very close eye relief however. And since it's magnified, I can't help but close my left eye when shooting. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with Sightmark. This one in particular. Thanks in advance.

Be patient. Save a little longer. Buy an Aimpoint PRO. Realize it was the best purchase you ever made for your rifle. Thank me later.

Buy cheap buy twice, buy once cry once.

:)

this

Unless the firearm is strictly for a 22 or plinking purposes you need to buy quality.

agree on the pro....

that said, the best under 'cheap' red dot is the sparc by a long margin. The warranty too is lifetime which of course is a big plus

I got my pro for 380 new 2 weeks ago. keep watching and go that route

I do not think the US military would use an EOTech if it was not sufficiently rugged. Are there better? Maybe, that's not for this discussion. I am looking for a sight that I will be comfortable using. And for plinking at the range it will be more than adequate.

I do not think the US military would use an EOTech if it was not sufficiently rugged.

The standard US Army RDS is the M68 CCO - known commercially as an Aimpoint M4.

Are there better?

Yes. And almost everyone in this thread seems to be telling you that.

I am looking for a sight that I will be comfortable using. And for plinking at the range it will be more than adequate.

The EOTech and Aimpoint optics are identical in their operation as a RDS. There is no "comfort" involved.

Open eyes, put dot where you want bullet to go, press trigger.

They are optics built for rifles, not new dress shoes.

And for plinking at the range it will be more than adequate.

If your mind was already made up, why ask for opinions? Sometimes you don't get the answer you are wishing for.

Good luck with the optic. I hope whatever you choose suits your needs.

Yes, my mind was made up. Re-read the original post, where I was asking for opinions of a specific type of sight. I was not asking for opinions of an Aimpoint. Reading are hard, I guess.

you already bought one knock off...

now buy another for almost $200...

and eventually when you get to the point of being tired of spending money on multiple inferior products come back and ask again... at that point we will still tell you to get an Aimpoint..

what we are doing is trying to help you...

I misread your first post as you wanting a recommendation on a good quality optic... instead did you just want us to "yes" you and tell you to get the one you linked?

What's the big deal if the guy prefers NOT to use an aimpoint. If he wants an eotech but doesn't want to spend a lot then I still say he should just buy one used.

To say eotechs arent of good quality or aimpoint rulez and everything else sucks is silly. I personally like the reticle on the eotechs better than a plain red dot, therefore I am looking to buy the eotech.

I do agree that the original sight he linked to is not an "alternative" to an eotech but a less expensive replica and should not be in the same conversation of quality.

LOL

Hysterical!

So you bought a knock-off, lets say for $200. Now you want to buy another knock-off for say another $200. Thats $400 spend for shit optics. You could have taken than $400, added a hundred more and bough your EOTech... which you chose solely because of your training scars... awesome reason by the way.

Guess what... if I want a S&B PMII I am not going to get to buy it by buying 6 shitty Burris scopes.

Yes, my mind was made up. Re-read the original post, where I was asking for opinions of a specific type of sight. I was not asking for opinions of an Aimpoint. Reading are hard, I guess.

You might want to give your topic title a change. Everyone's giving advice on alternatives to EOTech optics, exactly what your thread has been titled. You should change it to "Is Sightmark a good brand" if you're just going to go with that line of advice...

From what I've heard, Sightmark optics do not retain zero, therefore you should move onto a reputable brand. Options to consider include Vortex, and Primary Arms, especially since it seems like you're not willing to go the price point of an EOTech or Aimpoint.

Nobody makes an actual holographic sight that is worth it given that they are not much savings over an aimpoint, and that they have had engineering issues (some of which have been fixed in some models), and QC issues. Also, they are counterfeited aggressively to the point that some vendors are getting knock offs into inventory, so be very careful where you buy. Also, if you have not used one already, DO NOT BUY ONE WITHOUT TRYING ONE. I can't emphasize that enough. The hologram approach to the reticle can have severe issues for people with astigmatism. I'm one of those people, I dig their reticles, but they aren't very usable for me.

If you want a tubeless dot, here are some decent ones. I don't believe any of them have the circle dot type or reticle nor a 1 MOA center dot.

C-more railway, tactical, RTS and STS

Trijicon RMR

leupold delta point

insight mini red dot sight (MRDS)

vortex razer

Then you have the many version of the Dr. optics mini reflex theres the Dr. optics, JP firepoint, burris fast fire, etc.

There's also the old OKO sights. I don't think they are made anymore.

Are they aimpoint good? Mostly no. Will they work? Yes. Are they eotech durable? Some.

You will not that a lot of the ones on my list also are not a huge savings over aimpoint. Some cost more. All of the really ow mini dots require mounts for an AR, so tehy will wind up in that territory as well.

Cheap is cheap. It's easier to build a sturdy, durable tube sight than an open style red dot.