warden469

SIG 226

I'm looking for a 9mm. Held a 226 today and it just felt like it belonged in my hand. I didnt want to put it down.

Anyway, I have no experience with Sigs and I was hoping for some input from you guys. Let me know what you think please. I really want this gun!

Thanks.

I'm looking for a 9mm. Held a 226 today and it just felt like it belonged in my hand. I didnt want to put it down.

Anyway, I have no experience with Sigs and I was hoping for some input from you guys. Let me know what you think please. I really want this gun!

Thanks.

hey glenn, my buddy has an elite and does not like it, i dont like it.. but a lot of people LOVE them! why dont you come up to bobs this friday with some 9mm and shoot his for a while.. he may even sell it to ya... im gonna call him right now text me if you want

P226 is a great gun. Built like a tank, and will eat almost anything you feed it. Make no mistake It is a big gun, you need the mitts to hold it comfortably.

I have the Stainless elite in 40 and it is my favorite pistol to shoot.

I am going through the same experience of trying to get it to "work". I presently own 2 different p226's and I have tried just about every configuration available. SA/DA, DAK, SRT, short trigger, beavertail, E2 grips, Hogue grips, G10 grips, if it's an option, I've tried it. I shoot the gun best in double action as crazy as that sounds. Single action is still a bit of a battle for me. I am fighting a flinching problem with this gun that I just can't figure out why. I shoot my 1911's in 45 more consistently than I shoot my p226 9 in SA. I am beginning to think that the gun just doesn't fit my hand well...the angle for the trigger is WAY further back than any other gun I shoot. Maybe I just need more time with it. When I'm "on" with it, it rivals my 9mm 1911 for accuracy off hand. When I'm off, I can shoot 4" low and left at 10 yards. That said, I won't part with the gun, I do love it for some reason. It eats anything, super reliable, easy to maintain. 3 out of my 4 range sessions are now pretty good with it, but that's still not good enough. It shouldn't be such a love hate relationship.

Thanks.

I have an MK25 P226 and think it's very nice in 9MM. I swapped out the very plastic grips for a set of Hogue G10 grips. I too feel that it's very solid, the all stainless even more so. Comes with night sights and a pretty decent trigger for what some call a mill-spec gun. Trigger kits for SRT and the "short" trigger are pretty simple to install as well. At around $1000 bucks brick and mortar price ou have plenty of choices - that is iff you can find inventory. If you are near Randolph RTSP does seem to have some pretty decent inventory of many of the known brands including Sig.

i like them but don't own one. I feel it's comparable to a 92fs but more expensive. Cheapest place i know of for the 226 is Atlantic Tactical at $769 but maybe not in stock. Hague's definitely has in stock at $799 and i think $899 for the MK25. I think if i was going to get a 226 i would go all out and get the stainless elite just because it is so damn pretty.

joe

If the P226 you held had an E2 grip, that's probably why. Mine is a 9mm Enhanced Elite which has the E2 by default. And, I just picked up the Sig 40 cal conversion kit which works fine. It's definitely a good pistol.

Having said that, there's no substitute for shooting it. That's why you're considering it. So if you can 'borrow' that one mentioned previously, definitely do it. It's peformance in your hands should be the final criteria.

Unless of course you just like handguns, and the more the merrier.

I own two 226's. A .40 SS Elite and a 9mm X6 Scantic. Love them both and would buy another one in a heart beat. The SS Elite already had the SRT but I had a trigger job done on it. My SA is 2.4 pounds and my DA is now 6 pounds. Great gun and like others have said, it never fails. I have about 20k down the pipe and I can't remember if I have ever had a failure with the gun. The 226 X6 Scantic is a special gun and unless your crazy like I am it probably is not on your shopping list. But this gun is like no other I have ever shot. You can dial the trigger in at will for travel, pull and reset. Amazing accuracy and impressive piece. Buy a sig, you will never regret it.

I'd highly recommend the MK25 version. Aside from all the hokey "Navy Seal Hurr Dee Durr" nonsense, it has phosphate treated internals and ships with 3 mags, which is great considering current market conditions. I was at Classic Pistol in PA the other week and they had one for around $875. Really hard to get anything better, and the price is pretty damn good, too.

You cannot go wrong with a Glock 19, Sig P226 or Beretta 92FS. All of them have .22LR conversion kits and all of them are of NJ legal capacity.

Note that the way a gun feels in your hand may be entirely different than the way it actually shoots. Shoot it first.

All that being said, if you love it, buy it. Life is too short to own guns that you only like. You should have guns that you *love*.

Thanks.

First I will say that I like Sigs. I currently own two of their smaller ones but have owned some of their bigger ones as well including several P220s, X-5, P229s and P239s. Some were high priced models. Great guns and never jammed once except for the P238 and P938 that I carry which are ammo fussy but with the right ammo they are 100%.

I have recently sold off all but my two carry Sigs. The reason is simple, they are big and heavy guns for what they are and I have grown to dislike DA/SA as I get older and have arthritis in my hand and that first SA trigger gets harder and harder to shoot well with. At the range it is OK but since I carry a gun I know that the first shot is all important as there may not be time for another.

I still have Sig luv and carry the P238 and P938 small SA models whenever I leave my house. However when it comes to their bigger and heavier guns I have sold off the 5 I owned and switched to polymer guns that hold just as many, if not more, rounds, are light and cheaper. A Sig is like a Rolex. It is a status symbol, precision mechanical device, tacticool, just like the professionals use or just a great gun to shoot. It covers all the reasons why people buy a gun and covers more than one most times. :) There is a pride in ownership with a Sig that I just do not get with a Glock, for example.

Having said all this, everyone should own a Sig once in their life. It is one of those things that most of us can afford. It is top of the heap. We may not be able to afford a Porsche, Lamborghini or Ferrari but we can afford a Sig so go for it if you can. You will never regret owning and shooting it but if you intend to carry it I would suggest something lighter.

You cannot go wrong with a Glock 19, Sig P226 or Beretta 92FS. All of them have .22LR conversion kits and all of them are of NJ legal capacity.

Note that the way a gun feels in your hand may be entirely different than the way it actually shoots. Shoot it first.

All that being said, if you love it, buy it. Life is too short to own guns that you only like. You should have guns that you *love*.

that was like poetry! lol

I own the 229, in 9mm which handles perfectly, I wanted to see how the 226 worked and geez... its like firing a 22 when firing the 9mm, the frame is a little bigger than the 229 but still a great gun, firm fan of Sig here, but as everyone will agree here, shoot it first!!! A 1000$ investment is something that's worth spending 100$ at the range to try out a few things, if you go to Shore Shot they are normally really open with letting people use the rentals if you buy the ammo from them, but definitely sig all the way! Good Luck!!!

I bought my 226 as the 22LR version (not a Mosquito). I then purchased a 9MM conversion for it which has been flawless for thousands of rounds. The .22 has been a different story. Despite shooting nothing but the recommended Mini Mags and sending it back to Sig, I remain unhappy with it's performance. Recently, I had 5 out of 100 rounds that jammed. I rarely bother trying to shoot it as a .22. I also have a S&W 5906TSW and a Beretta Nano which are both great guns, but the Sig is my first choice.

Well what do you want in a 226? I recommended before the MK25 variant because it ships with three, rather than two magazines.

tactical with reliability as my utmost concern. I like the the combat, tactical operations and the extreme models. tough choice

tactical with reliability as my utmost concern. I like the the combat, tactical operations and the extreme models. tough choice

I had wanted a 226 for my first gun, but ended up going another direction. Still, I was between quite a few 226 models myself and here are my impressions of some of the models.

Combat: Basically a MK25 that ships with one less mag and one less sticker, but looks prettier, has front serrations, and costs more. Neither have the SRT trigger, but that can be done by Sig later if desired.

Extreme: A regular 226 with the SRT trigger and pretty grips. Reasonably priced considering those two features. I don't personally care for the grips, but that's subjective.

Tac Ops: Cool concept, but not for NJ. It ships with four 20 round magazines so not the best choice for NJ. You're probably better off getting an Enhanced Elite to save yourself the trouble with magazines.

MK25: A basic 226 with a few differences. The internals are phosphate coated, it comes with a sticker that I would probably end up taking off, and ships with an extra magazine.

I should note that I have two preferences when it comes to 226s that are a bit weird. I prefer the original two piece grips to the E2 grips and I don't like the beaver tail on the elite versions. Neither feels right to me, but again, it's entirely subjective.

Of the ones you mentioned, I like the Combat the most. It's a bit expensive but cool as heck. If you want to do IDPA or anything along those lines in the near future, you're going to need at least 3 magazines. In the current market, that may prove either difficult or expensive. But at Mcbethr said, if your heart is set on a particular model because it just speaks to you, screw what I or anyone else has to say and get it.

thank you sgt toadette! couldn't I just get the tac ops with 15 rounders for NJ from Sig if I called?

I'm going to say that's a definite maybe. I have no idea. It's worth a shot, can't say I'd feel optimistic about it, especially in the current climate. But hey, you can't win the game you don't play.

I'm going to say that's a definite maybe. I have no idea. It's worth a shot, can't say I'd feel optimistic about it, especially in the current climate. But hey, you can't win the game you don't play.

I think I'm gonna call and find out today. If so, Tac Ops ought to be a great handgun

My P226R came with two mags, but that was 2011. I'd imagine nothing has changed in the last 2 years for the "base model"

As for other Sigs, my 1911 TTT came with 2, Mosquito with 1, and Sig Pro 2022 with 1.

None came with a loader.

Pretty sure all the new P22x models come with at least two magazines.