bobbyg51

Amount of time to have a rifle permit approved

A firearms ID, which is required to purchase rifle or shotgun could take 5 months these days, it all depends on the PD. I have heard some on this forum getting theirs in less than 30 days, but there are also some outliers that have waited 5-7 months. I would say the "average" is probably 2-3 months.

I have been waiting over 3 months through the NJSP.

ive been waiting 2 months in Garfield. the sad thing about it is I already know (I've been in the records room and seen the paper work) that everything is cleared. My references State check, NCIS, fingerprints, mental health... everythingis done. literally theyr sitting on it, when they get to finishing is when il get it. Good luck to your friend

State law says 1 month maximum. Prior to the chaos that generally meant 1 month minimum with the amount more varying by town. Now there are so many people applying that there really is a backup. The best thing to do is submit your application and go over it with the local officer handling it to make sure everything is right. That way you won't find out after a couple months that nothing has been done because you missed a box. Then wait the month and a few days. Call and politely inquire about the status. Whatever, they tell you give it that much and a couple days again. Call and politely ask again. Repeat until the whatever you're applying for emerges from the process.

While you are waiting...........

Good time to catch up and do the basic fire-arms training/safety programs offered out there.

Maybe even the hunters course.

That way you might find new folks that might take you out shooting with their stuff.

Hang in there..................

Every town is different. Submitted my paperwork (duplicate FID and 2 P2P) on a Thursday by the following Tuesday both my references received the paper work from my PD. I got the call about 30 days from submission to pickup. My buddy submitted his paperwork (2 P2P) about 30 days ago and I'm one of his references. As of today I still haven't received anything in the mail from his PD.

A friend from kenilworth just got hers in exactly 23 days last week, while I wait for 40 days plus for permits the next town over.. Sucks!!

40 days sounds prety good to me- :(

thanks.

What do you mean re-applying? Got ID card 3 months ago, got initial 90 day handgun purchase form.. Bought handgun 2 months ago, now looking to get another one.. filled out Applicaiton for Firearm purchase permit.. Should I have to submit mental health forms again as well?

Thanks

If you are re-applying, yes. If you initially apply for more than 1 permit then no

Just stopped back in to pick up my "corrected" FPID (had the wrong date on it), and there was nice little sign on the records window that stated "Due to high demand, Firearms Purchaser ID's and Handgun Purchaser Permits are approximately 3 months wait time."

this was after i got mine in 6 weeks.. and Howell has known to be fairly expedient in the scheme of things..