410guy

Are you thinking about moving out of NJ because of the proposed new gun laws?

Are you planning on moving out of NJ?   

169 members have voted

1. 1. Due to the general anti-gun climate of the state, as well as the proposed new gun legislation, are you planning on moving out of NJ?

• I've had enough, I'm planning to leave NJ.
    • I would like to move, but cannot because of career, family ties, etc.
    • I do not want to leave NJ, I will be staying and continue to fight for gun rights.
    • I will see how much, if any, of the new legislation passes before I make a decision.
    • I will be leaving if any new gun laws pass.
    • I already left

not sure what you mean but if you provide some more details I can ask them?

I am not exactly sure myself. It might be when you're selling a house, but I don't know for certain. I believe there is a tax when you sell and move out of state that you have to pay upon your exit. I don't have any more information though.

Come to think of it, I heard about it on this forum.

I really am not clear on it.

EDIT, well it seems there are more knowledgeable people here that have answered it. Thanks guys, that cleared up a lot!

The thing is, with taxes the way they are, there is no way I would retire here.

Considering KY actually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am not exactly sure myself. It might be when you're selling a house, but I don't know for certain. I believe there is a tax when you sell and move out of state that you have to pay upon your exit. I don't have any more information though.

Come to think of it, I heard about it on this forum.

I really am not clear on it.

EDIT, well it seems there are more knowledgeable people here that have answered it. Thanks guys, that cleared up a lot!

The thing is, with taxes the way they are, there is no way I would retire here.

Considering KY actually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even though I'm in PA right now, I'm looking at Oklahoma. Can't put a price on freedom....However, I'll stay in PA until the North East cancer spreads to this state. Luckily, for now, most of PA is rural with very conservative Reps in the PA house and senate. However, they are introducing the same BS laws that NJ is trying. Look at the New AG Kane...just one of the BS Bloomberg plants with unlimited funds put her there. Believe me, Bloomberg has his sites on PA, CO and many other states. To me, this guy is one of the most dangerous politician's/Rich corrupt people threatening freedom in this country. He is pure evil....I don't care what anyone says...he's very disingenuous.

I'd be out of this state in a heartbeat if...

The problem is I love living in Northwestern, NJ, and the family and friends are here.

The real estate prices are holding me back. If I could sell my house for what I paid for it I wouldn't think twice about moving out of state.

You could rent it out. A few of my friends and neighbors did exactly that until a good offer came along. They are happy in their new homes all over America

I dont want to move. I will do my best to keep fighting. That said, I dont know. Like others the gun laws aren't the main reason, but the are the proverbial straw. As of this moment I'm staying and fighting, but I'm tired. The state has handed me so many beatings over the years and like a particularly mean bully, it feels lie they are seeking me out for more. My friends tell me that the only reason I haven't moved is my stubborness.

You could rent it out. A few of my friends and neighbors did exactly that until a good offer came along. They are happy in their new homes all over America

A viable option but you have to be diligent and lucky to successfully rent in NJ. Diligent when doing background,credit,references checks,lease agreements,maintenance,taking before and after photos....and even after all that,Lucky to get the right tenant that would treat your property if not like his/her own,at least respectfully. I have found from experience that the laws are on the tenants side and a smart but malicious tenant can make the experience at the very least trying.

I believe in voting with my feet and wallet so I left NJ 3 years ago to move to a place near a shooting range in sunny Florida and could not be happier. No State and City taxes with a low cost of living. Plus no more dealing with the snow or extended period of cold weather.

One of the benefits of our system of Government is that we have Federal and State Laws. This allows us the freedom to move to a different State if we do not like its laws. However, few people take advantage of this great and seldom mentioned benefit and tend to spend the rest of their lives where they live. Many are similarly reluctant to leave their jobs also and both State Governments and Employers count on this tendency of people to avoid change. If not they would worry more about the consequences of their policies and laws. No one would like a mass exodus. :)

A viable option but you have to be diligent and lucky to successfully rent in NJ. Diligent when doing background,credit,references checks,lease agreements,maintenance,taking before and after photos....and even after all that,Lucky to get the right tenant that would treat your property if not like his/her own,at least respectfully. I have found from experience that the laws are on the tenants side and a smart but malicious tenant can make the experience at the very least trying.

I tried renting once an no more. I rented to a so called single guy who moved in with his dog (no pets were allowed) and two children. Turns out that he was a compulsive gambler who did not work and I had to do some things I am not proud of in order to get him to pay the rent. Even then each rent check was made out by a different woman. Finally the lease was up and he refused to move. Ever try to evict someone with two little kids? The court kept giving him extensions for the sake of his kids until I finally took my own action to get him out which worked better than my lawyer's methods. Even so, the house was trashed and I sold it for a loss. The only home out of 12 that I ever sold for a loss. The kicker is that I paid a real estate company to do a background check on him prior to leasing and they did not uncover his financial situation. I just asked around with some friends in low places and learned not only that he was a compulsive gambler but how much and to whom he owed money. Never again.

I tried renting once an no more. I rented to a so called single guy who moved in with his dog (no pets were allowed) and two children. Turns out that he was a compulsive gambler who did not work and I had to do some things I am not proud of in order to get him to pay the rent. Even then each rent check was made out by a different woman. Finally the lease was up and he refused to move. Ever try to evict someone with two little kids? The court kept giving him extensions for the sake of his kids until I finally took my own action to get him out which worked better than my lawyer's methods. Even so, the house was trashed and I sold it for a loss. The only home out of 12 that I ever sold for a loss. The kicker is that I paid a real estate company to do a background check on him prior to leasing and they did not uncover his financial situation. I just asked around with some friends in low places and learned not only that he was a compulsive gambler but how much and to whom he owed money. Never again.

While I have been lucky recently and have a very good tenant that has become a friend,it was not always the case and I saw first hand just how manipulative and petty some people can be. Without too many details suffice to say my devout Muslim tenant took exception to the retired Jesuits residing in the building and the yearly Christmas party held in the lobby. I was sued for not disclosing that the building and it's tenants could pose a discriminatory and potentially distressing environment...

It was tossed out, naturally, but not after several days and thousand in legal fees.

I'm pretty much done-just met with the boss on Monday about relocating my job remotely to Arizona. Same job, same boss still here in NJ, same salary.

Only 2 issues are the wife getting a job out there (but she's in healthcare, so I don't think she'd have much of an issue) and selling our house-I absolutely REFUSE to take a loss on the house we bought the end of 2007. So it's most likely a 3 year plan: put the house up for sale in 1.5 years, and 1.5 years to sell. (We also live in a very rural area, so the demographic that wants to live 20 minutes from ANYTHING is specific)

I've had it. In fact, the wife's parents are down with joining us in about the same time when her mom retires.

My career is an issue. As someone who works professionally in television, there are not comparable options outside the main markets of NYC and LA. I have my mfa, and hope to be able to get a college teaching position that will take me out of state. My home being under water and carrying a big northeastern level debt load are also concerns. If I wasn't weighed down, we'd already have moved.

I want pa. My wife is wanting Vermont. Constitutional carry? Yes, thank you.

I'm pretty much done-just met with the boss on Monday about relocating my job remotely to Arizona. Same job, same boss still here in NJ, same salary.

Only 2 issues are the wife getting a job out there (but she's in healthcare, so I don't think she'd have much of an issue) and selling our house-I absolutely REFUSE to take a loss on the house we bought the end of 2007. So it's most likely a 3 year plan: put the house up for sale in 1.5 years, and 1.5 years to sell. (We also live in a very rural area, so the demographic that wants to live 20 minutes from ANYTHING is specific)

I've had it. In fact, the wife's parents are down with joining us in about the same time when her mom retires.

Hate to say it... but I would not count on housing prices in NJ getting back to stupidity levels any time soon.

But that is a topic for a different thread. NJ real estate still coming down and we lead the nation in shadow inventory... (houses that should of been foreclosed but have not yet... ie 90 days+ late, but foreclosure process did not start)

Also, real estate recovering in other areas now.... so, sometimes it makes sense to just deal with it and eat the loss, because you will get more house outside of NJ.

With the stupid high property taxes, there is no reason to buy in NJ.

My job is here for now, but if and when I find an alternative, I am out of here, and I will not retire here. The wife is a CPA and says don't retire here and don't die here. We bought a home in NJ because it was much more expensive to rent, the market was way low, as well as the interest rates.

I like what vladtepes said, I agree with his point of view. If you don't like your current state of affairs, then change it.

That being said, I voted for I am leaving. This move out of state has been a long time coming, about 4 years because of the wonderful real estate market going down the tubes, but no more! My wife, daughter and I are heading down to South Carolina this summer and am hoping to be fully settled by end of July/early August. My company is allowing me to relocate and work out of a small satellite office in Charlotte. But like I said we planned this over 4 years ago but have been "stuck" in our current mortgaged property, but now we can wait no longer. It's just going to have to be rented (and I already read the posts about renting in NJ, but I have several friends who are landlords here and have made it work. It's not ideal but it's all we can do. We're underwater by a nice chunk) All of our family is here, but we have to do what is best for US as a family.

The recent events and subsequent bills being proposed have just heightened the immediate need to leave. Stack on all of the other known problems of being a NJ resident and you have a recipe for "get the f**k outta dodge" soup. This state is a cesspool (and I've lived here my entire life outside a couple of years in college in DE and AZ).

I hope for all those staying that you eventually reach your utopian state.

When kids go to college I'm moving to America

This. I'm afraid that anything sooner is just wishful thinking on my part and this will be the reality. The wife if 100% on board with that. But I wanna move NOW :) I do thinbk they will tax us out of here sooner though. Or there will be no jobs. Merck just announced that they are moving to NC, others will follow.

My career is an issue. As someone who works professionally in television, there are not comparable options outside the main markets of NYC and LA.

I'm in the same boat as you - except music. The only difference is aside from those two hellholes, there is a third alternative - Nashville - and TN is still pretty much America. (although I don't know about the political climate in Nashville, per se) My wife is in consumer goods, so any state having a company that sells major products whose coupons you see in the Sunday paper is a viable option for her.

The wife and I got back from a long weekend in Texas. We wandered into a sporting goods store near our hotel (my wife wanted a pedometer) and I had no less than three very friendly salespeople in the Hunting department ask/offer to show me one of the 1911s in the display case I was looking at. Ammo on store shelves to be picked out like you would shop for aspirin at Rite Aid (albeit a lot of the popular calibers were sold out - plenty of buckshot though).

We talk about PA first though - it's close enough to visit my dad in South Jersey, my mom in Central Jersey, and her parents in LI and still making it home at the end of the day. But also talked about VA and NC. The family thing is a big issue for us.

I'm in the same boat as you - except music. The only difference is aside from those two hellholes, there is a third alternative - Nashville - and TN is still pretty much America. (although I don't know about the political climate in Nashville, per se) My wife is in consumer goods, so any state having a company that sells major products whose coupons you see in the Sunday paper is a viable option for her.

The wife and I got back from a long weekend in Texas. We wandered into a sporting goods store near our hotel (my wife wanted a pedometer) and I had no less than three very friendly salespeople in the Hunting department ask/offer to show me one of the 1911s in the display case I was looking at. Ammo on store shelves to be picked out like you would shop for aspirin at Rite Aid (albeit a lot of the popular calibers were sold out - plenty of buckshot though).

We talk about PA first though - it's close enough to visit my dad in South Jersey, my mom in Central Jersey, and her parents in LI and still making it home at the end of the day. But also talked about VA and NC. The family thing is a big issue for us.

There is tv work in disparate locales like for OLN. CNN is in Atlanta.

The thing is that there is a market industry in NYC such that if my current gig goes away, I can find another gig lickety split.

Out in America, my best job prospect are running a news van at an affiliate or teaching. I'd rather gargle with razor blades than run a news van.