AmericanMade

Hunting test - What to expect

When i went, we did a "field walk" that consisted of showing us a few fake animals in the woods. Live fire was 20ga shotguns, shooting @ 2 clay straight out. be sure to check the safety everytime you touch the shotgun, they make you hand it back, then they hand it to you again (my guy flipped the safety off) so be sure to check each time, even if you just put it on...

written is easy, answers are mostly common sense stuff, most wrong answers didn't even make sense.. go to huntersexam.com and do the free portion, its basically the whole test, word for word

Muzzle loader/rifle live fire will be with a .50 cal muzzle loader and .22 rimfire. When you do the shotgun live fire, not only check the safety but also the head stamp on the cartridge when they hand it to you. They can have both 12 and 20 gauge guns available have been known to hand you the wrong ammo on purpose. It is a safety course, not a marksmanship course so hitting the clays is not manadatory. Safe gun handling is what they aer looking for.

As for the written test, pay attention during the "field walk" session. They cover most of the answers during that time. All the others are safety and common sense questions. It is designed to not be failed.

Good luck with the test.

About how long does all of this take? I'm signed up for Rifle/shotgun and bow(using a crossbow).

I didn't realize it, but when I signed up for it, it was on St Patty's day...and I've had plans to do stuff in the afternoon.

I'm a hunters Ed instructor. Any specific thing you need to know ask away

To move along smoothly

Bring the book filled out.

Use the states guns

Just sit back and stay calm. We aren't there to fail you unless you truely are unsafe. It don't matter what you hit (except for archery)

About how long does all of this take? I'm signed up for Rifle/shotgun and bow(using a crossbow).

I didn't realize it, but when I signed up for it, it was on St Patty's day...and I've had plans to do stuff in the afternoon.

Plan on 4-6 hours,especially if doing all 3 disciplines. Biggest factor is class size and how long it takes to cycle everyone through the live fire portions.

Just to clarify though, rifle and shotgun are 2 different disciplines.

Relax and enjoy the field trials, the instructors are there to demonstrate and teach proper safety and handling of a firearm... they don't care if you hit the clays/targets. I learned a lot about muzzleloaders & the guy let me shoot his sidelock, which was pretty cool. Timing really depends on how big the class is, I was there for about 6 hours, but did all 3 and the class was full at 120.

If you have a half a brain cell in your head or have common sense the written test will be easy, I got 1 wrong in the 100 questions (for all three disciplines). Read the book & watch the videos, the test is exactly that. They aren't trying to trick you, just make sure you are safe out in the woods. I'd say by far the hardest is the bow accuracy test. Groups within 3 inches weren't my forte, but I "cheated" and used a crossbow. Def go that route if you plan on getting that and arent very proficient with a bow. (You have your whole life to practice on your accuracy).

Enjoy the morning.

I had my field day today at Telco in Atco. Went great and I have my NJ Hunter/Trapper Education Card in hand! For anyone that still has to take it, I would say exactly what most have already said; Dress warm. Be patient and prepared to wait your turn. Listen to the instructors, they are very experienced and really do want to help you to pass. BUT, If you've taken the online course and have your field day pass, you are NOT done! I was under the impression that if you did that, there was no written test. That is incorrect. It only counts for the field portion, not rifle, not shotgun and not bow. You are still required to do the written exam for those sections. I was shocked after spending all morning in the cold doing the physical tests and when I got inside and was handed a written test, I thought my time had been wasted. I didn't sudy anything further, know the answers for sure and had the funny feeling that I had blown the written exam portion when I had completed it. But, to my surprise, I only got 2 answers incorrect and got my card! Those instructors are all volunteers and deserve credit for doing what they do! I also noticed many children that were taking the tests today and I was glad to see so many young girls included!!! Good job parents!!!

Not to thread jack, but I need to add Muzzleloader to my license, for some reason I didn't think i would need it in NJ, but now I do. I have Shotgun and Bow.. Can i just take the muzzleloader portion and be done?