So as some of you know I had gotten the chief of police in UC to comply with state firearms laws. I had told him I would give the city some time to get comfortable with the new process before applying and report back ho things went. Unfortunately the chief after just over a year on the job resigned his post. I was not aware of this when I applied. While the city is complying with the paperwork requirements it has become abundantly clear that the major factors in the delay of the apps stems from the sgt that handles the process.

I just had a conversation with the new acting chief. I had called to check on the status of my app having hit the 23 day mark. I called not expecting it to be ready, but I have learned by helping others obtain their card that our city will not contact you if there is an issue regardless of what that issue may be. So I figured it would be best to make sure thing were going smoothly. I was told everything seemed to be in order that they were waiting on county to return the mental health. I thanked the extremely courteous lady and said no worries you have 30 days we have time. At this point she asked me to hold a sec. Next voice on the phone is the sgt that does the checks he comes on the line. Being that I didnt ask for him, I was a bit confused as to why he was on the phone. He starts in with the authority voice explaining what was going to happen. He stated that regardless of how long it took no application was going to the chiefs desk untill all paperwork was back. I then stated that the law wasn't written that way. Its 30 days, not finding cause to deny you must issue. Thats when he became unproffesional. He attempted several inflection and tone changes along with wordplay to try and intimidate me. He insinuated that the processes could be delayed that he decided when and if an app made it to the chiefs desk. After asking him to first lower his voice I told him I was not intimidated and that I would be contacting the chief and mayor. Ofcourse at the time I didn't now we had a new chief. Well after my conversation with the chief I did not feel any better. While he was polite, I did not get a good feeling from him. Although I was clear and upfront that I wasn't looking for special treatment and I was providing feedback on how things were going he went into full on political mode he spoke many words and said nothing. Basically he will take the word of the sgt over anyone else. Period. He believes that you shouln't get the permit before 30 days even if everything comes back in 10. He also stated that if it took longer than 30 well thats how it goes, that he would deal with that on a case by case basis if the person complained. He feels there isn't an issue because he hasn't heard about it from citizens in town meetings. Nevermind that most folk are afraid to say anything in fear of having their permit delayed. They dont want to rock the boat. Lets not forget that supposedly no one had complained about the additional paperwork requirements prior to me either, so how is no one has complained before even relevant. That whole statement sickens me, but I digress.

Basically the new chief will go along with whatever the sgt that does thevpaerwork says and the sgt will continue to do whatever he like. So while we have no additional paperwork requirements, the process that had improved with the prior chief has reverted with the new.