Hi,

I just joined the OBRPC as a probatioary member and am looking for other members to help me out with competitions and range time. Being new to the club, there are alot of rules and regulations before I can become a full, active member. If anyone on here frequents these events and goes to the range often, I would really like to meet to insure I am doing what I have to to become an active member in the future. I am semi-new to shooting and have never been in competitons before. This is what I love about OBRPC. They want you involved. I am also a member of Shore Shot in Lakewood, but like the club/community better. I only live 3 min fron the indoor range and can't wait to start shooting there.

I hope im posting this in the right place.

Thank you in advance !

Phil

Unfortunetely I have my daughter soccer tournament Saturday and will not be able to make it. I will probably try and go to the indoor range in the early A.M. just to get some shooting time in. Anyone going, please message me.

I was also thinking of going to the PCC match on 3/29..Not sure if I will compete or watch the competition. I have to find out more about the event. Has anyone done this one before ?

This saturday is the OBRAMS beginners class / introduction clinic - It will show you the basics of most ' run and gun ' shooting, which will transfer over to USPSA and the like.

see here:

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/50584-2013-obrams-clinic-–-march-16-2013/

Im booked until April for competitions due to prevoius engagements. I am free a lot in april & may if there is anything coming up. I would like to become a part of the community at OBPRC. The only issue I have is that I work 80 hour weeks managing 47 buildings in Manhattan and then have soccer on weekends. I will make this all work somehow, It's something I really want for myself and hope to eventually have my daughters involved. I would love for them to shoot.

Are all the competitons 4 to 5 hours ?

Anyone going to the range Saturday morning ?

Phil, I'm not a member...yet...but have participated in many of the events.

There will be indoor USPSA this Friday night. It's an opportunity to learn about USPSA in a relaxed environment, and with a lower round count. You'll shoot 4 stages. This event was the first "official" event I ever shot. I highly recommend. You'll need a centerfire gun, 2 mags, 100 rounds, eyes and ears. A holster is preferable but for your first event Jim will likely let you shoot from the low ready. I can't stress enough how important of a match this one is. You'll learn the range commands that are used for all of the other events.

The OBRAMS clinic on Saturday is a good opportunity to also learn about USPSA shooting however you'll use a 22 instead of centerfire.

The PPC event on 3/29 looks like a blast, but that's a special event for rimfire carbine only...not pistol.

The PPC (police pistol combat) is on the 2nd friday of the month, and a great event. We shot our first last Friday and can't wait to go back. That's actually one of the reasons I'm thinking about joining. For this one you can shoot center fire, rim fire, revolver...whatever. Great event.

As far as Sunday, even if you only get to shoot one or two stages before soccer, it's only 5 bucks, and you'll learn something and have some laughs.

For someone who has never been in any competitions, a USPSA match in March might be a bit intimidating. I suggest starting out with steel, this group here always has its own squad and are a bunch of great guys. PPC is also a good place to start, both will get you comfortable drawing from a holster, and generally shooting in competition.

PCC is a carbine competition, rimfire or centerfire. We only run it every few months (on the 5th friday). We will be having an outdoor match at the end of June, still working out the specifics. Only a few spots left for our March match.. Preregistration is a must, this lets us schedule shooters in 2 hour windows. PM me with any questions

James

ETA - I second Alec's suggestion of OBRAMS.. GREAT low-key into to USPSA/Action shooting, and the March event is designed for beginners to the sport

There is typically something every weekend , either @ obrpc or cjrpc , check the newsletter on the site for calendar events.

Note: this sat the pistol pistols most likely being used by OBRAMS, though - the 100 yard and 50 yard pit should be open. ( indoor range un-effected )

and yes, you can expect to spend a good part of the day at an event, with the influx of more shooters in the summer time, they can sometimes stretch till about 4 - 5 pm.

Maybe I can just go and watch the match Friday night since I have to observe a few competitions anyway. Then I can decide if I want to do it next time. Can I get a sign off if I just watch friday night ?..What time does it start ?

I would also be interested in the PCC competition (even know im not a police officer) How do I get involed with the squad ?

7pm Friday night at the indoor range. Me and my son MIGHT be there....not sure yet. No pre-registration. Just show up.

As far as the March 29th PPC event you need to pre-register.

The one in April does not have pre-registration. Just show up before 7 to sign up. You don't need to be LE to participate. "Rosey" runs that event and you'll be hard pressed to find a nicer guy. 60 rounds per relay. It's got a little of everything...reloads, strong hand, shooting while sitting, prone, strong hand barricade, weak hand barricade. It's a good time.

Phil,

You need to sign up on our site, www.obpcc.org, to get your username and password. Once you sign up, then you can register for the event. Pick a session (6-8, 8-10, 10-12) and how many relays you want to shoot. A relay typically runs 35 minutes.

PCC is Practical Carbine Competition, and is very beginner friendly. I can tell you that there is no one who has shot this competition more than 4 times..

7pm Friday night at the indoor range. Me and my son MIGHT be there....not sure yet. No pre-registration. Just show up.

As far as the March 29th PPC event you need to pre-register.

The one in April does not have pre-registration. Just show up before 7 to sign up. You don't need to be LE to participate. "Rosey" runs that event and you'll be hard pressed to find a nicer guy. 60 rounds per relay. It's got a little of everything...reloads, strong hand, shooting while sitting, prone, strong hand barricade, weak hand barricade. It's a good time.

Mike, the event on 3/29 is PCC, runs every 5th Friday (I think we are doing it 4 times this year), plus a special outdoor match in June. PPC is 2nd Friday each month. Dont see you and Andrew registered for PCC yet...

Maybe I can just go and watch the match Friday night since I have to observe a few competitions anyway. Then I can decide if I want to do it next time. Can I get a sign off if I just watch friday night ?..What time does it start ?

Don't make that mistake --- SHOOT!!! You will regret it if you don't come prepared and shoot the event.

I watched 1, hated it, and shot all the rest -- It really is a great group of people -- No one will make fun of you for not knowing what your doing -- Watch the forums, it takes time before they start making fun of you :)

What can I shoot at the PCC ? I currently have a .9mm, .45, 357 revolver (i can shoot .38 with) and a Ruger 10/22 takedown rifle (.22lr)

PCC is a carbine competition, so you would shoot the Ruger. PPC you would shoot any of your handguns (no magnum). Too bad we dont see Alec at PPC, since most of us 1911/2011 guys shoot revolver there...

Mike, the event on 3/29 is PCC, runs every 5th Friday (I think we are doing it 4 times this year), plus a special outdoor match in June. PPC is 2nd Friday each month. Dont see you and Andrew registered for PCC yet...

We're going to miss the March event, but plan to shoot future events once we (I) join the club.

Welcome to the forum and OBRPC. You have made a great choice. You definitely don't have to observe 3 and participate in 2. Most here will tell you, watching sucks. I participated in all 5 and many many more since than. You must live pretty close to me, I could walk to the indoor if I wanted and the outdoor is 10 minutes away. Since you said you will have more free time come April, 1st Sunday there is a steel match and 1st Friday is indoor action. Look over the March calender, it pretty much repeats itself each month.

LOL, I'm sure watching does suck. I just never did competitions before and am used to just range shooting at Shore Shot. I do live very close. Im right behind Veterens park and can walk there as well ( I wont be doing that tho, lol)..I guess once I meet other members, I will feel alot more comfortable. I am going to use the indoor range for the first time this weekend if anyone wants to join me. I will probably go Saturday or Sunday morning (early). It's really great to see all the responses I got from this post from members of the OBRPC. I know I made the right choice to join and hope to meet all of you in person.

Hi Phil,

Congrats on joining OBRPC & finding this forum. You're already off to a great start.

WRT, the observing/participation requirements, you can do either and still get a sign off from the match director.

But just like others have said, you'll be much happier if you participate for all of them.

Definitely bring your 10/22, mags and ammo down to the PCC match on the 29th.

Ed Bradly, James (jvheitz) and the rest of those Gunslinger pumpkins :p put on a great match.

If you are able to make it to one of the steel matches, make sure you come over to the NJGF squad and introduce yourself. We always have room for new shooters.

I was just reading all the posts that happened while i was typing mine.

HA! We're all just a huge bunch of over welcoming fairies :tender:

So i'm going to change mine...

PHIL!

Get your ass to an event, say hello and shoot.

That is all you need to do.

Okay, Well I just booked my first PCC competition for 3/29 from 6 to 8. I have know idea what i'm doing but will go for it anyway !...I woud like to meet anyone else who will be attending before hand if anyone will be going to the indoor range befor then. This way at least I will know somebody there !

Thanks for all your help.

You got it Nick. I just signed up for my first one !..Welcoming faries work for me !!!!...The only reason I was unsure of going is because I don't know any other members. Now I'm on here and the response is unreal. I never expected so many great people to respond. I thank all of you !