flht_db

Thinking of Joining CJRPC

The weekends get pretty crowded espically of there is an event going on like the NRA high power or Cowboy action matches which take up a portion of the pit ranges. The facility is great, the people are generally cool. My only real issue are all the lame rules and I am not speaking about saftey, those are important. I get upset that I cannot shoot my Henry .357 or any pistol cal carbine in the pit ranges without the whole "Special badge" thing which resuires competing in the cow boy action which I have no desire too. It also bothers me that I cannot weare a combat or tatical holster in the pit areas since you are pretty much on your own or with your own guests so I can practice drawing and firing single and doubles, and combat style shooting. You go to a members meating and they complain about not being able to ccw in NJ then they dont let you train holstered on their facility. I do understand not letting or wanting people walking around with holstered weapons from range to range or when going to the can, but this is a gun club and a lot of us pay to train so let us train. During the week it's golden summer evenings are great. Members get a news letter every month with a list of events that are going on so you can plan around them if you do not like the crowds. You can be as involved as you want to which is also nice if you are looking to hang out with a community on a weekly basis. The youth program is also nice.

I just joined and I can say that after visiting all of the local places to shoot it is heads and tails nicer than any other place around it. After the capital expense fee it is not any more than any other range to be a member, and they use that money to improve the range and further our cause. At the meeting I attended to get my badge they voted to donate tens of thousands of dollars to both the NRA and ANJRPC. I will say that it was slightly disappointing to see them support the ANJRPC so much but more or less dismiss the NJ2AS on the basis that ANJRPC pays lobbyists to support our cause in Trenton, vs NJ2AS which utilizes a "boots on the ground" approach. In the end if there were enough members to vote to donate to NJ2AS the club's money would go there, as well.

They also made a note that they had recently made a donation using club funds to help a war veteran in need. I thought that was worthwhile as well.

As far as Hodgie's comment's on being able to use .357 rifle's or draw from a holster I agree that in the pit's you are on your own and should be allowed to do as you please. I plan on entering the needed 3 events to qualify for the "draw from holster" badge required by the club to do so at the range. It is a nuisance but I will go shoot the steel, have fun doing it, and then go to the meeting to get the badge. Shouldn't need to, but I'm just gona play by the rules and do it.

If you want to come see the place pm me and we can set up a time. I travel for work sometimes so we might have to set it up a few weeks in advance.

Best range around.

As far as the special purpose badge. The point is that you've proven to successfull complete a match safely. That's what it's about. It's not that big of a deal. As Blake said, you do three steel matches and bring your scores to. Board meeting.

Then your allowed to shooting pistol carbines in pits with bullets going under 1000 fps. Also can draw from a holster.

I'd be willing to show you around if needed, I'm only 10 minutes away. Just pm me your contact info and we can get together. There is a lot of guys here that are members there.

Then your allowed to shooting pistol carbines in pits with bullets going under 1000 fps.

Bryan, there are limitations to that, specifically the use of pistol caliber center fire rifles in the pits. I was looking at getting my son a Rossi lever action gun in .357 and had the foresight to ask the board about using it in the pits. The response follows: The special use badge was established for SASS (cowboy action) members to be able to practice with their lever action rifles. It also allows individuals who compete in metal plate and IPSC to practice drawing from a holster. Why not purchase a Henry in .22 caliber and then there is no problem with using it in the pits. The special use badge was not established so any member who desired to shoot center fire cartridges in the pits could apply after meeting the three (3) match requirement and then never shoot a match again.

To the OP, CJRPC is a great facility. What sold me were the private pit area's but also the skeet and trap ranges. Since joining a year ago we've (my son shoots too) immersed ourselves in USPSA and Steel Plate events, and now also shoot at Old Bridge. I plan to join Old Bridge too, because they have excellent leagues that are simply too expensive to regularly shoot as a non-member. We don't shoot long rifles and my son has tried the youth programs but isn't interested in bullseye or high power rifle. We're having too much fun with the USPSA and Steel stuff. I'm very happy I joined. As far as it being crowded, I've never had a problem getting a private pit, or a lane in the indoor range. We don't shoot from the firing lines but I've never seen them that crowded. Once, and only one time, we had to wait for a trap range to open up. The pit area's are used for Steel (1st Sunday) and USPSA (2nd Sunday) and that might be an issue if you are looking for a pit.

It also bothers me that I cannot weare a combat or tatical holster in the pit areas since you are pretty much on your own or with your own guests so I can practice drawing and firing single and doubles, and combat style shooting.

I have less of a problem with the pistol carbine restriction than I do with the drawing from a holster, but don't disagree that for some it's an issue. It's a safety issue and each club is different. We shot with a friend up in Ct. and were allowed to draw from the holster right on the open firing line. It was weird. For the record, you can wear and use the holster without the badge...you just can't draw a loaded gun from it. Before getting the use badge I found the holster handy, somewhere I could stow the gun while I went to check my targets. it was that or the pocket on my hoodie. lol I keed...I keed.

Great club! I shoot year round in any weather, so a crowded winter Sunday is 2 people at the general purpose range.

I have only been there twice so far, but last thursday at 4pm I was the only one on the general purpose range, and this wed at 4pm I was the only one using a pit. I saw one other pwrson there who was on the high power range.

I have only been there twice so far, but last thursday at 4pm I was the only one on the general purpose range, and this wed at 4pm I was the only one using a pit. I saw one other pwrson there who was on the high power range.

Isn't that fantastic? It's as though you have your very own shooting range.

I haven't been to any other range in NJ, so I can't compare...

But overall it's a great place. As other's have said....the "rules" seem silly to a more seasoned shooter, but in their defense they do have a lot of novices there. It's all about safety, which I can get behind.

My biggest complaint......they faced the main ranges (GP and HP) southwest. If you don't go at the crack of dawn or just before sundown, the sun is in your eyes ALL day. But, once again, that's the direction of Collier's Mills and away from residential areas....so they had a reason.

If you can afford the scratch....it's worth it.

I think they said they had about 70, it will be crowder but worth it.

53 last month i think they said, 70 in Jan. Get there early, I got there 40 min before they said to and the parking lot was already filling up.

Wow! That's insane! 70 in that little room?

I will heed your advise and get there early!

Wow! That's insane! 70 in that little room?

I will heed your advise and get there early!

It was a nfs day thankfully so they had the tv set up on the back of someone's truck. They ate buying a double wide trailer for new member meetings and horse meetings. But its not there yet.

Bryan,

Meant to text you last night.

Yep, just like you said, did get there early they started taking applications early and then outside. Was in the first shoot group, then indoor range overview. Then movie and rules.

Thanks for the tip on orientation of pistol in case they did cover.

DB