Sign in to follow this  
RUTGERS95

question on retro AR's

Can't confirm if this is NJ legal as it says it's a muzzle brake. The length is long enough to slap on a 11.5" barrel to get you to your 16" legal length. The brake is 5.5" long.

http://blackthorneproducts.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=191

You're gonna have a tough time getting close to the 607 model's length. Original lengths are 10" barrel and 3.5" flash hider. I'm thinking you can go with a 16" barrel and get a faux can or XM177 style faux brake which threads in the front to give you the look. Again, NJ may treat it as a barrel shroud which again may be a no no.

thanks for the ideas. any sites that I can look for a xm177 or 607 style brake that may be legal? I've been looking but can't seem to find anything specific to NJ legal.

dwh, can you post a pic so I can see what it looks like all done?

thanks for the ideas. any sites that I can look for a xm177 or 607 style brake that may be legal? I've been looking but can't seem to find anything specific to NJ legal.

dwh, can you post a pic so I can see what it looks like all done?

Its not an xm177 or 607 but here it is

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e332/dwh112/arfde_zpsb2f01cf3.gif

Sorry, no sites I can recommend. I take it back on the 11.5" approach. Found other 5.5" XM177 style brakes, and they call them flash hiders. Could be misinformation on how they other place listed it. Since they aren't the mfg, I wouldn't trust it.

If you're gonna roll with a 14.5", you may be better off with a battle-comp or dynacomp to give that XM177 moderator style, but far from it. Function over form now. Here's the 16" option made by DPMS. It's going to use the 16" barrel thread and serves no compensating purpose other than add a little weight in the front, maybe. It's all looks mostly. http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/barrel-parts/flash-hiders/ar-15-m16-xm177-flash-suppressor-prod45252.aspx

Look at the slipover version.

nice rifle dwh

thanks twong.....I found something from 45bravo on ar15 where he took the 3 prong flashider and welded the ends. Looks pretty close.....

Thank you RUTGERS95 I really like the brake on it. Haven't shot it yet but it looks really cool

OK, you aren't going to find a stocked product that is NJ legal. Sorry.

Now, what you MIGHT be able to do is get someone to make something for you. Not a brake or comp, but go with a 16" barrel that is threaded, and get someone to machine you a thread guard that goes over the barrel so that you basically have a crowned barrel with a cosmetic sleeve over it. Then pin and weld the sleeve. It's single piece construction a machinist would be able to produce on a lathe. No real engineering etc.

Just an idea.

nice rifle dwh

thanks twong.....I found something from 45bravo on ar15 where he took the 3 prong flashider and welded the ends. Looks pretty close.....

45Bravo was actually machining his own faux three prong muzzle devices for those of us in the ban states. Sadly he has not done work in years.

He did build me a wonderful 605 replica upper(took a year and a half!) and it is my prized AR possession.

The "retro bug" is a very special kind of sickness in the AR community :D

IMG_0008.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

I'm old but my wife trained on an A1 w/ three pronged (brush catcher) flash suppressor in the Guard. I'd give my left nut for one.

I think it would be a good idea to give her a retro A1 for Christmas but I'm sure that wouldn't go over so well.

a buddy of mine has the NJ legal version of the 609 model which is the one I've decided on.

got a correct colt upper

sud novak retro lower

colt bcg

colt ch

colt fsb

correct stock

remake triangular handguards ( I know it's not correct for the 609 but wanted these)

all I need is a barrel but prefer the colt of course