Sludog

My trip to Shore Shot

Today I decided to go to Shore Shot to try a few guns out. I have been to the shop before and although some people complain about a few of the employees there, I have always had a good experience with the staff the three times I've been there.

I bought 100 rounds of ammo and shot four different 9mm today. Not sure if all ranges do this but you can choose as many guns as you want, one at a time within the hour, as long they are the same caliber.

I wanted to try an Xdm but they do not rent that in 9mm but they did have an XD that I tried first. Did not like it at all. The grips tore my hands up and I was all over the target sheet. The gun felt bulky in my hand as well. Also the gun malfunctioned after 10 rounds and a small pin on the side was popping out which I think had somthing to do with the grip safety. The RO took it in the back and repaired it. I know this is a rental gun and probably beat to hell but I did not have a good experience with this gun. Second I tried a Glock 19 and that was much better in my hand but my accuracy was still bad. The gun hand more kick then I expected but I feel that with time this gun would be great with practice. Third I tried a Glock 34 gen4. The gun looked brand new. Felt very similar in hand to the 19 but had a little more weight which I liked. My accuracy was much better which was expected with this target/range model and my grouping were great at 7 and 10 yards. This gun should make anyone a better shooter and this would be my choice as well as the Glock 35 as well if I were to but a Glock. And last I tried a Sig 226 9mm. Wow what a gun. It just felt awesome to hold and fit my hand perfectly and shooting was a joy. My accurancy was just as good as with the 34. I only put 25 rounds through it and I was tempted to but another box of ammo for $30 just for this gun but I was already in the booth for over an hour. It felt like the recoil was less than the other three but maybe that was because I shot 75 rounds prior and was getting used to shooting. This will probably be my first gun I buy with the 4 permits I have coming. I just wish they weren't do damn expensive. Another possibility is to get the 226 in .22 cal and get the 9mm conversion kit later on. From what I was told today at the shop, the guns are identical except for the barrel and slide.

That's my amateur shooter opinion of the pistols I used today. Here is the ranking for best to worst. Please feel free to add comments or criticism about my experience.

1. Sig 226 9mm

2. Glock 34

3. Glock 19

4. Sprinfield XD 9mm

One last thing. I did see a Sig 229 there in 9mm for $850. Is this a good price? How does this gun compare to the 226?

Price is high for a P229 in my opinion. Even in this climate. They charged $30 for a box of 9mm?? I suppose you can't bring your own when you rent a gun at their range. That is the only thing I hate about ranges that rent.

I bought my 226 as a .22. Sig recommends that you shoot MiniMags which I've always done. Despite shooting a lot of rounds, it still jams more frequently than I'd like. To be fair, it does seem like with one of the magazines it jams a lot more than the other. I did send it back to Sig and they changed the slide and barrel. I know from reading a lot on the net that I'm not the only one. However, it's still fun to shoot and the accuracy is incredible. When I bought mine I think the price was about $525. After a while I bought a 9MM conversion for it. I think that cost $239. Buying it as I did, I saved some money. Buying it as a 9MM, then buying the .22 would have been $100-$150 more. That was a few years ago and I'm sure the price is higher now and I don't know if the advantage of buying it as I did is the same. I can tell you that I have three 9MM's and the Sig is by far my favorite. I have never had an issue of any kind with it's performance. It's been absolutely flawless. The trigger is super smooth and crisp. recoil is very reasonable and it shoots any ammo that I've used (American Eagle, S&B, Lawman, Independence, Winchester, Fiocchi) Just wanted to share this with you since I started with .22 as you mentioned. Hope this helps.

Price is high for a P229 in my opinion. Even in this climate. They charged $30 for a box of 9mm?? I suppose you can't bring your own when you rent a gun at their range. That is the only thing I hate about ranges that rent.

Yeah steep price for non members for ammo. I was at their mercy but learned some valuable info about some guns I was interested in. $10 less per box if your a member. I don't know if you can bring your own ammo if you rent. What is a fair price for a 229? How about the 226? I know they have a lot of options but I am just looking for "basic" models.

Yeah step price for non members for ammo. I was at there mercy but learned some valuable info about some guns I was interested in. $10 less per box if your a member. I don't know if you can bring your own ammo if you rent.

Yes, they will charge an arm and a leg to non members and anyone else. That is their business. $30 a box of 9 mm to someone new who does not care... but then they realize. It is their business model, that is what it is. The alternative, and I think we should starting doing more of it... get togethers. If you want to shoot something, just ask.

Or... come out to a match to watch, and then I am sure a member would be glad to show you around.

I bought my 226 as a .22. Sig recommends that you shoot MiniMags which I've always done. Despite shooting a lot of rounds, it still jams more frequently than I'd like. To be fair, it does seem like with one of the magazines it jams a lot more than the other. I did send it back to Sig and they changed the slide and barrel. I know from reading a lot on the net that I'm not the only one. However, it's still fun to shoot and the accuracy is incredible. When I bought mine I think the price was about $525. After a while I bought a 9MM conversion for it. I think that cost $239. Buying it as I did, I saved some money. Buying it as a 9MM, then buying the .22 would have been $100-$150 more. That was a few years ago and I'm sure the price is higher now and I don't know if the advantage of buying it as I did is the same. I can tell you that I have three 9MM's and the Sig is by far my favorite. I have never had an issue of any kind with it's performance. It's been absolutely flawless. The trigger is super smooth and crisp. recoil is very reasonable and it shoots any ammo that I've used (American Eagle, S&B, Lawman, Independence, Winchester, Fiocchi) Just wanted to share this with you since I started with .22 as you mentioned. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the input. When do you get the jams? With the 22 or with 9mm conversion? Is it true that the guns are exactly the same except for barrel and slide?

Sig makes a good gun my brothers on duty carry is one, and he has several others for off duty. Im not such a huge fan of them espically in DAO. One more gun I would reccoment trying in 9mm is the CZ-75 B. It is one of the most impressve out of the box 9mm's I have ever shot. It was a toss up between my IWI Babay eagle in 9mm and that. I ended up with the baby eagle which is just a great all around accurate gun. The VZ is close in designe to the IWI so that's why it's quality. They used to rent them at Shore shot but if they dont anymore and your in the Jackson I would meet up for a pistol day in the pits to put some 9mm down the barrel.

http://cz-usa.com/pr...s/view/cz-75-b/

Thanks for the input. When do you get the jams? With the 22 or with 9mm conversion? Is it true that the guns are exactly the same except for barrel and slide?

Yes same frame you just put the new slide and barrel on, kimbermakes them for the 1911, I had one it worked well, the only issue with CCI mini mags is they are wax coated and bugger up the internals on all semi auto's I switched to Aguila .22 LR Super Maximum and Agulia golden eagle match and never had another issue even in my sucky jam-o-matic GSG-5.

Next time you go try our their xD in a .40. I put easily 100 rounds through it myself so I can only imainge the ungodly number of rounds those rentals go through! I am not sure how often their rentals are cleaned but either way I LOVED the xD.40 Next time I go I will try their sig 226 just so I can compare myself. I like sig but I am also partial to the springfields. Glad you enjoyed yourself!

Jams are always with the .22, never had a jam with the 9MM. Same gun except for barrel, slide and magazine. The conversion can be done quicker than Cryan can change a magazine. :rolleyes:

Sig P229 is a great gun. If I were you I would shop around. I don't buy from Sure Shot. They wanted $49. for one G22 mag. They want the new shooters in the store who don't know any better. I won't even do a transfer there.

Thanks for the advice. I checked them out last week and the had no sigs in stock. I have a shop near me that had quite a few 226's in stock but they were all 40 cal which I never fired. Is there much of a recoil difference between the 9mm and 40 with the sig 226 ? I am a new shooter and I don't want to be overpowered with recoil while trying to improve my aim.

Thanks for the advice. I checked them out last week and the had no sigs in stock. I have a shop near me that had quite a few 226's in stock but they were all 40 cal which I never fired. Is there much of a recoil difference between the 9mm and 40 with the sig 226 ? I am a new shooter and I don't want to be overpowered with recoil while trying to improve my aim.

A few years ago I did a side by side test of the Glock 19 VS the Glock 23. I felt the Glock 23 was like a Hi powered +P+ 9MM. Here's where it gets interesting. I then went to the counter and rented a Sig P226 .40. I shot the Sig and it felt softer than the G19. It was the first time I ever shot a Sig. I shot it more accurate than any of my Glocks. On the way home I stopped at the police station and got more permits. Next month I bought a Sig. Another great shooting gun to me is My H&K USPc in 9MM. Glocks will always a place in my small collection, but for me nothing shoots like a Sig, or and HK.

A few years ago I did a side by side test of the Glock 19 VS the Glock 23. I felt the Glock 23 was like a Hi powered +P+ 9MM. Here's where it gets interesting. I then went to the counter and rented a Sig P226 .40. I shot the Sig and it felt softer than the G19. It was the first time I ever shot a Sig. I shot it more accurate than any of my Glocks. On the way home I stopped at the police station and got more permits. Next month I bought a Sig. Another great shooting gun to me is My H&K USPc in 9MM. Glocks will always a place in my small collection, but for me nothing shoots like a Sig, or and HK.

I also shot the Glock 19 and then the 226 on that trip but both were 9mm and the sig was so much nicer in my hand and I shot it much better. I am not familiar with the H&K USP but I really like the look and feel on the H&K P30 but I have not had a chance to fire it. Do you have any experience with the P30? It is priced about the same as the 226. I also thought a less expensive version with the same feel as the P30 is the Walther PPQ and P99.

I rented similar set of guns when I was new to the sport three years ago at Shore Shot. I learned not to rate the guns based on the rentals. I rented a Glock 17, XD9, M&P9, and Sig 226. Their guns did not shoot well and I think they were not well maintained. Afterwards, I tried some forum members gun of same make and model and it was like night and day. I highly recommend the M&P9.

I also shot the Glock 19 and then the 226 on that trip but both were 9mm and the sig was so much nicer in my hand and I shot it much better. I am not familiar with the H&K USP but I really like the look and feel on the H&K P30 but I have not had a chance to fire it. Do you have any experience with the P30? It is priced about the same as the 226. I also thought a less expensive version with the same feel as the P30 is the Walther PPQ and P99.

I haven't shot the HK P30. I've heard nothing but very good things about it.