Sludog

Anyone wear gloves when shooting?

I know people use them for a better grip and some times some guns dont fit right and will rub you raw I never liked gloves not even in 20 degree weather with a shotgun.if I ever shoot a friends ppk/s again ill try a catchers mit cant get a good grip on thet one

Do you own your guns for home defense?

If someone breaks into your house, are you going to take the time to put on gloves?

Shoot with how you will use your gun in a real life situation.

Just my 2 cents...

I wear gloves all the time when I shoot. Just Mechanix gloves or something heavier when its cold. I wear them so I end up with less gun powder residue on my hands. Little extra grip is nice, but mainly to keep them clean. However, I really only wear them when I shoot clays.

I wear gloves all the time when I shoot. Just Mechanix gloves or something heavier when its cold. I wear them so I end up with less gun powder residue on my hands. Little extra grip is nice, but mainly to keep them clean. However, I really only wear them when I shoot clays.

I wear mechanix gives for this reason too. Keeps my hands cleaner. They're just gloves, not super Kevlar-bullet deflecting-super duper-tacticool thingies.

Do you own your guns for home defense?

If someone breaks into your house, are you going to take the time to put on gloves?

Shoot with how you will use your gun in a real life situation.

Just my 2 cents...

Great point. I would imagine this would definitely affect a new shooters aim if they were used to wearing gloves. Maybe not so much an experienced shooter.

I will wear them for two reasons. 1. If my hands are cold and 2. To avoid gpr on my hands. If your hands get hot because of body temp, climate or heating, the gpr can be absorbed into your skin. If you shoot a lot, you can avoid potential damage from lead and gpr. I heard years ago that the lead alone, over long term (years of shooting) can cause lead poisoning. It, in fact, reduces my grip and forces me to get my hand higher on the grip and place my hand deeper into the beaver tail of my handguns. When I shoot without gloves, my hand naturally gets high up and into that beaver tail. There I said beaver three times.

Brownells sells a super thin (black) shooting glove...They don't do much for keeping your hand warm...But I find them valuable in the winter to get a better grip on the pistol handle. In summer I have no need for these...I am a firm believer in practice with what yo will "defend" yourself with...Happy to report the trigger feel is almost the same either way.

I will wear them for two reasons. 1. If my hands are cold and 2. To avoid gpr on my hands. If your hands get hot because of body temp, climate or heating, the gpr can be absorbed into your skin. If you shoot a lot, you can avoid potential damage from lead and gpr. I heard years ago that the lead alone, over long term (years of shooting) can cause lead poisoning. It, in fact, reduces my grip and forces me to get my hand higher on the grip and place my hand deeper into the beaver tail of my handguns. When I shoot without gloves, my hand naturally gets high up and into that beaver tail. There I said beaver three times.

Good to be lead concious - get yourself some lead wipes and bring them to the range...After I am done, i also wipe off the outside of the pistol and mags too.

I wear a pair of Mechanix gloves. Mainly to keep hands clean but it also feels better when shooting recreationally.

Thinking about picking up a pair of PIG gloves from SKD Tactical.

Personally, I don't see it as "mall ninja" but maybe its because I AM a mall ninja... =P

I own padded shooting gloves and shooting gloves for when I used to shoot outdoors in the NJ winters. I seldom use shooting gloves but I will list the reasons when I did;

1. Padded gloves are good when shooting 50 .357 magnum rounds through an 11 ounce snub nose revolver. In fact, they are good to use whenever shooting small and light carry guns for extended periods of time in large calibers.

2. During the summer my hands sweat a lot. In fact, I have to use a glove when I play billiards for that reason since our billiards hall does not allow the use of chalk. A very thin pair of shooting gloves gave me a better grip.

3. My Browning HiPower's hammer used to bite my hand even with the smaller commander sized hammer and I did not want to spend the money to have it filed away so I used shooting gloves to prevent my hand from bleeding.

In general padded shooting gloves will help those whose hands hurt when shooting their guns. Some guys I know get sore hands from shooting a 9mm. People do have sensitive hands. :) I have developed arthritis in my hands so after two dozen rounds of .45 my hand starts to shake from the repeated recoil impulse. I am going to start using a padded shooting glove to prevent that from happening.

Anybody who says they have never used gloves because it is 'tacticool' has never shot outside in 15 degree weather while sleeting.

i have never worn gloves while shooting not because its "tacticool" but because my hands dont get that cold. up untill this winter i have worked outside in the trades for the past 10 years and i have worn gloves less than 5 times. I guess i have just adjusted to the cold weather. When shooting outside in the winter it my hands get a little chilly i just put them in my pockets for a minute and i am good to go.