va_bank

30 day rule +/- NICS wait?

Hi All, question for the new times we live in:

I bought a handgun on March 5th - that's the date written in on the permit. I then went to another shop to pay for ANOTHER handgun, which I'd be picking up on Monday, April 7th. This gun is fully paid for and paperwork's filled out. According to our NICS thread on this forum it's taking 6-7 days now. My question:

Can I call my FFL on April1st-2nd and and ask him to put in the NICS check, so that I don't have to wait another week after I completed my 30 day waiting period?

Thanks in Advance!

Hi All, question for the new times we live in:

I bought a handgun on March 5th - that's the date written in on the permit. I then went to another shop to pay for ANOTHER handgun, which I'd be picking up on Monday, April 7th. This gun is fully paid for and paperwork's filled out. According to our NICS thread on this forum it's taking 6-7 days now. My question:

Can I call my FFL on April1st-2nd and and ask him to put in the NICS check, so that I don't have to wait another week after I completed my 30 day waiting period?

Thanks in Advance!

It is possible that you will be denied, depending on when they get to your check. Some have been lucky enough to go through in one or two days, so I would recommend waiting the 30 before having NICS run.

You could end up in deep water if it hits their system before day 31. That is why I have been waiting for tomorrow morning to put mine in for a gun that is on hold for me. It sucks to have to wait, stupid law that really serves no purpose.

I'm in the same boat :( 2 handguns at one store, paid in full with permits signed. Sent the nics check on Thursday Mar 14. So whenever it comes back as approved, let's say Thurs Mar 21, I would have to wait until April 21 to even submit the second nics check, because it "could" be approved same day. But it likely won't be, so I'm looking at the last week in April to have both of MY guns in my house.

I'm in the same boat :( 2 handguns at one store, paid in full with permits signed. Sent the nics check on Thursday Mar 14. So whenever it comes back as approved, let's say Thurs Mar 21, I would have to wait until April 21 to even submit the second nics check, because it "could" be approved same day. But it likely won't be, so I'm looking at the last week in April to have both of MY guns in my house.

april 22nd from what im told now see if that falls on a sunday and then wait another day... thats where im at :/

nics sent out today and now just wait..............

Since no one can determine the time nics will actually run you background check its best to wait the 30 days prior to even submitting. The one gun every 30 days has become every 35 - 40 days so you'll always lose 1 permit if you have 3 :(

WAIT. If your NCIS check should come back neg. your dealer will have to issue you a form to send to the NJ State Police, they in turn will send you a letter stating that you applied within 30 days. You call back and then you can pick up the gun. In the mean time you will receive a call from a NJ State Trooper telling you that what you did was illegal. He will also state that should this happen again you are subject to punishment under the law.

Speaking from experience!

WAIT. If your NCIS check should come back neg. your dealer will have to issue you a form to send to the NJ State Police, they in turn will send you a letter stating that you applied within 30 days. You call back and then you can pick up the gun. In the mean time you will receive a call from a NJ State Trooper telling you that what you did was illegal. He will also state that should this happen again you are subject to punishment under the law.

Speaking from experience!

Sorry. I do not follow this. A response is either "approved", "delayed/pending", or "denied". The dealer does not have to do anything, but can provide you with a transaction number and/or a denial request paper. The NICS Unit has told me that a person applied within 30 days. No form necessary. There is no law broken because the customer did not take possession, nor did the dealer transfer the handgun.

If you apply to purchase (NCIS) and a 30 day period has not passed you will be denied.

Not denied...you will be delayed/pending. Once you hit 30 days, 31 to be safe... the dealer can re-fax your Nics. They should probably charge you another Nics fee though since they will also be charged again.

Not denied...you will be delayed/pending. Once you hit 30 days, 31 to be safe... the dealer can re-fax your Nics. They should probably charge you another Nics fee though since they will also be charged again.

YOU WILL BE DENIED.

What if I buy a gun from a private seller from ny and have it sent to my ffl. First can they do this even if my 30 days isnt up from my most resont nics. And I'm assumei ng if they can my nics would be sent out on day 31 for the new gun that was sent in

Your FFL should hold it for you until it's up.

P.S. For everyone's reference - use this calculator if you are not sure. When it say 31 (!! NOT 30!!) you are good to go.

http://www.timeanddate.com/date/duration.html

YOU WILL BE DENIED.

And the $64,000,000 question is this solves crime exactly how? They can't process a background check mandated in 1966 to be performed in 30 days in less than 60, they can't perform an "instant" background check mandated in the '90s to be performed at the point of sale in less than 10 business days but they can bust you balls for trying to hedge you bets on their ineptness for submitting your second background check 48 hours earlier than the 30 days required by law. Thank God the criminals in this state don't have to worry about all this bs. I can't wait for the day i get to see this state in my rear view mirror for the last time!

And the $64,000,000 question is this solves crime exactly how? They can't process a background check mandated in 1966 to be performed in 30 days in less than 60, they can't perform an "instant" background check mandated in the '90s to be performed at the point of sale in less than 10 business days but they can bust you balls for trying to hedge you bets on their ineptness for submitting your second background check 48 hours earlier than the 30 days required by law. Thank God the criminals in this state don't have to worry about all this bs. I can't wait for the day i get to see this state in my rear view mirror for the last time!

At this point I would love a background check in under 60 days, hell I would even take under 100! It is a good thing criminals don't have to worry about all this red tape oer else they might all move out of state!

Your FFL should hold it for you until it's up.

P.S. For everyone's reference - use this calculator if you are not sure. When it say 31 (!! NOT 30!!) you are good to go.

http://www.timeandda...e/duration.html

This one http://www.timeanddate.com/date/dateadd.html Add 31 days to the date.

I bought two at the same time, picked one up in early March. Got to fill out my papers for NICS this past week, they double checked to make sure the time had passed before they would let me fill out the paperwork. I asked about the NICS delay, and they said the month has to pass before they can even submit the paperwork.

What if the NICS takes so long it goes past the expiration date of your permit? Depending on how long the NICS check takes on the gun I just purchased, I can't put the paperwork in for the next one (already purchased) until later May. My 90 day window closes on May 28th. Should I just go get and extention on the last permit now?

OKAY.  I just got the definitive word on the 30 day rule from ATF.

The NICS checks are good for 30 days from the time the transferee signs Part A.  They informed NJSP of this. :onthequiet:

I am sure that they were awaiting for NICS to catch up before giving an answer to this.