ColtPistols

Progressive Press Upgrade

I haven't loaded much over the years mostly due to time, but I'm seriously considering upgrading my RCBS single stages to one of the nice progressives. My concern is primarily cost and time involved in changing over calibers. It doesn't look like a simple swap out of dies. Looks like they have different setups for the primer feeders, case feeders, bullet feeders, etc. So each caliber costs a lot to setup. I have been interested in the Dillon 1050 and the Hornady Lock 'N Load Ammo Plant.

Who has what? and who likes what they have? Also cost of swapping calibers/dies/etc? I load for 5 cartridges now, but would like to load a dozen or more handgun cartridges and a half dozen rifle cartridges. Thoughts? recomendations?

I can't speak to the Horandy, but as for the Dillon I think you would be better served with a 650 or even a 550. The 1050 is great for large lots of ONE caliber.

It sounds like you want to do a number of calibers and this can quickly add cost and time changing things around.

I have the 550 and think it is great for ease of caliber change and cost per caliber. It is a bit slower (not much) then the 650. However, they do now offer a case feeder for the 550 which would bumb the speed a bit if you were so inclined.

I think any of these may be a bit hard to come by in the current climate so availability may be an issue with any choice. I for one would find what you want and wait to get it as this is a purchase that should last a few lifetimes.

Last time I was at X-Ring in DE they had Dillion equipment in stock, but that was a couple months ago.

Good luck.

I have the Hornady LNL and I like it. Changing dies is a snap because of the collets, no need to readjust the dies each time you put them in the press. Changing the primer feeder is easy as well. Adjusting the powder drop is what will take the most time, but you can get extra metering inserts for each caliber to avoid that if want. I don't have the case or bullet feeders, so I can't give you any feedback on that.

550 & 650 the case feeder is optional.

Dies, complete conversion kit could run about $200-$300 depending on components.

here is the link for dillon conversion kits.

http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/Reloading_Machine_Caliber_Conversion_Kits-8-2.html

Takes about 5-10 minutes to change calibers for SAME size primers.

Nick.

If you polish the primer slide it works much better. Also if you take a .45 bullet and tape it to the top of the plastic primer follower rod it will load primers correctly right to the last one.

I do the bullet trick on both my Dillon and my LnL.

I have thought about using the micrometer insert but just ended up with multiple pistol inserts that I pop in and out.

if you take a .45 bullet and tape it to the top of the plastic primer follower rod it will load primers correctly right to the last one.

Ooh didn't think of that. I'll do that with mine too.... Though I don't have any .45 so I'll just use a 9mm..

Theres a hornady bullet feeder, its ok but not great, it works but its very loud and doesnt have an auto shut off when full. Its keeps running and running. When I say loud I sometimes wear my hearing protection.

Theres the Mr. Bullet Feeder, which is awesome but very expensive. You also need expensive conversions for every caliber.

I'm going to say that a bullet feeder isn't that great. You lose a station in the setup that you would want for a lockout or powder cop die. You dont gain much speed and its hard to see in the case after the powder drop to check the powder. The most bang for your buck will be with a casefeeder.

I have the hornady feeder and I've used the mr bullet feeder.

I have thought about using the micrometer insert but just ended up with multiple pistol inserts that I pop in and out.

Just to be clear, you have a powder bar for each load? This may be better than adjusting the powder bar for each caliber / load.

PS: I would reconsider putting a bullet on top of the primer tube rod. If you get a primer KB that bullet will become a speeding bullet. I used an empty .45ACP case but the primers feed okay once the press broke in and it was adjusted. I adjusted the strip of metal that is a spring for the plastic primer stop.

i have about 8 years with the dillon 650 and picked up a 1050 in october. cant go wrong with either but the changeover cost on the 1050 is alot higher. the actual changeover is really not bad at all. if you are loading lots of crimped cases(556, 40 & 9mm are the biggest culprits), go with the 1050. the swager saves an invaluable about of time and makes everything run sooo much smoother.

the hornady bullet feeder is not so good. I just sold mine on ebay. its actually slower than feeding them by hand, but again, ive been doing this for a while and can easily do 800/ hr on my 650. the price is not really that good when you consider that you need to buy the bullet dropper and it just doesnt work that well. the mr bulletfeeder is around 450 and it just plain works. the hornady is around 300.

another option, witch is what i have also been doing for a while is to buy bullet droppers from mr bullet feeder some acrylic tube from mcmaster and do it like the primers.

The 1050 is a great press but overkill in my eyes unless your doing majoy quanties per month. As far as the L-n-L vs Dillon 650, I have a dillon, but if you flip a coin to decide you woudn't go wrong. As far as loading 2k-4k a month on either one would be easy. I can't do taking my time as I always do chcking each case for proper power even after I see my power cop die say's I'm good, I can still pump out at least 600 rounds or better an hour.