Sig226GuyNJ

Dillon 650 help needed

I've got the press all set up. But I'm having issues with the powder measure check. Would someone with this press be willing to stop by and show me what I'm doing wrong? I could also use a rundown on the whole process, especially how to adjust the powder measure. There's a six pack of your beer of choice for anyone willing to help out. :D

BTW: Holy crap, setting this thing up is a ****.

A big thank you to Regulator who came over and helped me finish my Dillon setup. I was alot closer than I thought. Thanks alot for taking the time out of your day to help me out and show me the ins and outs Don. The gun community really is a tight knit community where people are always willing to help each other out. Only if the anti guns saw how giving most of us are....

Hello

I recently ordered a Dillon XL650 with accessories. . It should be here around the beginning to middle of May. If there is someone in or near the 08043 zip code that can help me set it up, I would be most appreciative. I also have to construct a bench. Part of my problem is I don't know how to build anything.

Thanks,

Marc

I don't run the powder check anymore(at least 8 years) but here is a simple way to see the powder in each case.

There are more elaborate set ups but, this was $3.50.

Edit: Obviously when the shell plate is in the lower position.

post-2197-0-56731200-1364478469_thumb.jpg

Thanks Ron. Don came over and helped me get it set. It was actually set up, I just needed instruction on how to use it. One thing I'm having an issue with is the bullet seating is not consistent. It's probably because the "table" I have it on is moving everytime I pull the lever. So I'm going to have to figure out how to get it to not move.

Thanks Ron. Don came over and helped me get it set. It was actually set up, I just needed instruction on how to use it. One thing I'm having an issue with is the bullet seating is not consistent. It's probably because the "table" I have it on is moving everytime I pull the lever. So I'm going to have to figure out how to get it to not move.

What kind of table do you have? If you don't have a lot of room, I recommend the Lee Reloading stand.

Put weight on the table

What kind of table do you have? If you don't have a lot of room, I recommend the Lee Reloading stand.

It's actually a book shelf. LOL. Limited room. It moves when I put the handle forward to seat the primer. Doesn't move much when I pull backwards to seat the bullet, but for some reason, I'm getting 1.11x-1.12x which is fine. But I had a cpl of rounds that measured 1.08x and 1.09x which I put aside.

It's actually a book shelf. LOL. Limited room. It moves when I put the handle forward to seat the primer. Doesn't move much when I pull backwards to seat the bullet, but for some reason, I'm getting 1.11x-1.12x which is fine. But I had a cpl of rounds that measured 1.08x and 1.09x which I put aside.

That movement will also result in improperly (high) seated primers.

Yeah, his table has some movement, one of the first things i mentioned. Having a solid surface will make the whole process much smoother and you should be able to resolve the seating issues easily with a more sturdy work surface... glad it's working out for you... happy to help.. sad part is i spent more time on your press than my own lately... :-)

I don't run the powder check anymore(at least 8 years) but here is a simple way to see the powder in each case.

There are more elaborate set ups but, this was $3.50.

Edit: Obviously when the shell plate is in the lower position.

Very nice setup.

I have a powder check, and somehow managed to load a squib round! SOOOO fortunate that my next round wouldn't seat due to the squib bullet being so close to the chamber. I thought long and hard how I managed to do this. I was making sure every few hundred rounds to make sure the powder was dropping exactly what I wanted it. I think after weighing the load, I dropped the powder back into the hopper, and put the now empty case onto the same station!!!! User error on my part, and luckily, all I had was an embarrassing moment and not a blown up gun!

Also, I must have gotten a bad 100 batch of primers. Went to range last night, to do function check with 100 round using CCI primers, and 100 rounds of Winchester primers. All 200 rounds functioned flawlessly. However today, I had about 8 light primers strikes with the Winchester primers. Anyone else have this issue with them?

One more thing guys, can I keep and pull the bullet on a cartridge that has a light primer strike?

One more thing guys, can I keep and pull the bullet on a cartridge that has a light primer strike?

No need to pull the reshoot it and figure out why you are gettng light primer strikes, dirty firing pin channel for instance..

Recheck primer seating depth. Should be .003 - .005 below flush bottom of case. If seated to deep or not enough will cause light primer strikes. Too deep depth firing pin not making hard enough hit anvils in primer have been bent out of shape at bottom of primer pocket. Too shallow firing pin is pushing primer to set depth, not activating ignition, anvils on primer must be firmly in contact with bottom of primer pocket.

Variations in bullet seat depth can be caused by build up on seating depth collet in die. Make sure its clean. Loading lead bullets will cause this. Sometimes "press torque" when progressively reloading will cause bullet seat depth changes. Make sure at each station the dies are set to their optimum. Little "crunches" at each station multiply in magnitude when all are performing a reloading step. Check your depth at the decap resizing station, a lot of people are set too deep here over torquing press and causing twisting in shellplate

No need to pull the reshoot it and figure out why you are gettng light primer strikes, dirty firing pin channel for instance..

Recheck primer seating depth. Should be .003 - .005 below flush bottom of case. If seated to deep or not enough will cause light primer strikes. Too deep depth firing pin not making hard enough hit anvils in primer have been bent out of shape at bottom of primer pocket. Too shallow firing pin is pushing primer to set depth, not activating ignition, anvils on primer must be firmly in contact with bottom of primer pocket.

Variations in bullet seat depth can be caused by build up on seating depth collet in die. Make sure its clean. Loading lead bullets will cause this. Sometimes "press torque" when progressively reloading will cause bullet seat depth changes. Make sure at each station the dies are set to their optimum. Little "crunches" at each station multiply in magnitude when all are performing a reloading step. Check your depth at the decap resizing station, a lot of people are set too deep here over torquing press and causing twisting in shellplate

My loads with CCI primers are 100% functional. But my loads with Winchester primers have had about 15 failures due to light primer strikes. Interestingly, I believe all of these failures came from the same batch. I dropped some primers onto my carpeted floor. I picked them up and used them. I wonder if that could be an issue? I don't think I'm seating them too deep or not enough. They seem pretty flush with the bottom of the casing to me. As for the bullet seating variations, the die is new so I doubt it's dirty. I think it's b/c my table moves when I pull the lever. Working on a permanent fix for it, but we're finally doing construction from Sandy, and I'm moving soon, so that may have to wait. Thanks for the input everyone.